HP in psych; low board scores-- how screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silas2642

silas2642
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just found out that I got a HP in my psych rotation, which I feel is really not good. That's pretty much where I am all year-- HP after HP. I only scored a 208 on step I, I know that's average for psych, but still.

Currently at a mid-tier allopathic school with no publications. I know that MGH/McLean are out and that's fine. However, do I still have a chance at Longwood, Cambridge, BU, Brown, UMass, and other programs in the NE?

Members don't see this ad.

What does the rest of your application look like?

There's not too much to me-- again research experience in ID/immunology but no publication (experiment seems to still be ongoing), prior psych experience working as a psych tech, shadowed a psychiatrist between years 1 and 2, preclinical honors in growth and development, psychiatry, immunology, and heme onc. No volunteering as an extracurricular, no offices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Time to think about away electives early in your 4th year at the more competitive options (i.e., Longwood, Cambridge, Brown). Do well on those and programs will happily rank a good "known quantity" as highly as an excellent "on paper" unknown.

Time to think about away electives early in your 4th year at the more competitive options (i.e., Longwood, Cambridge, Brown). Do well on those and programs will happily rank a good "known quantity" as highly as an excellent "on paper" unknown.

Thanks Doc Samson. I think that I have the potential to do well on a psych elective. The "failure" here was totally my fault-- I just didn't how to stand out. There weren't any residents at the rotation site and I had minimal interaction with the attending(s), who seemed less than eager to teach. I didn't want to push them to teach because i didn't want to piss them off.

The only program I applied to out of your list was Cambridge. I have H in psychiatry, a high board score, and a publication. Did me no good, but I didn't do an away there.

Maybe an away there would have helped......

I would agree with Doc, the most proactive thing to do is an away rotation at a place that you are interested in. Unless you completely mess up, this should result in an invitation to interview. Also when you get around to application time, write a reasonably coherent essay (the topic is less important than the organization and lack of grammatical errors). Also have your application in early and with letters that are not all psych.