HPSP and ulcerative colitis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tatchle1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently was accepted to my dream school, which is very expensive, and have chosen the Air Force HPSP route to pay for it. I am very excited to do this, as I think I will have a great since of pride serving my country.

However, a few years ago I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, and two years ago had surgery to remove my colon. I now take no medications, and my former illness (as surgery is the cure) does not affect my life in a negative way whatsoever.

My medical records are currently under review at the Surgeon General's office. Does anyone know whether or not this will disqualify me from joining the Air Force? If it does, I'm going to be devastated, as I am excited to join the AF and will not be able to attend my dream school due to financial reasons.

Members don't see this ad.

...I'm going to be devastated, as I am excited to join the AF and will not be able to attend my dream school due to financial reasons.

I don't know the answer to your question but I hope it goes your way. That statement you made seems to be a bit of an exaggeration. If you have an acceptance letter I don't see any reason why you couldn't take loans to cover 100% of the cost and living expenses.

I don't know the answer to your question but I hope it goes your way. That statement you made seems to be a bit of an exaggeration. If you have an acceptance letter I don't see any reason why you couldn't take loans to cover 100% of the cost and living expenses.

Well my dream school has a estimated cost of $70K/year (with living expenses). I do NOT want to take out $280K of loans. I think borrowing that amount of money is apalling, and I'd rather go to my state school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting conundrum.

I have known individuals with UC who were flatly denied by the military due to their pre-existing medical condition. Unlike you, they were controlled on medications.

Total Colectomy should effect a complete cure without sequelae (save for the increased risk of PSC) as long as their are no debilitating effects of being colonless that prevent one from deploying. I'm interested to know how this turns out.

I do know a fellow doctor who was diagnosed with pre-B ALL as a boy. He had been in remission for 20 years when he applied for HPSP. He had to move heaven and earth, but he got it done and is now an Army resident.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Well my dream school has a estimated cost of $70K/year (with living expenses). I do NOT want to take out $280K of loans. I think borrowing that amount of money is apalling, and I'd rather go to my state school.

That's an insane amount of money. What specialty do you want to go into? Maybe a state school wouldn't be such a bad idea. I think if you had killer board scores and good evals you could get into any residency you wanted regardless of where you want to school.

I don't know about Air Force specifically, but history of UC is definitely disqualifying for Army.

Crohn's is an absolute disqualification. UC with a colectomy for cure will get increased scrutiny. However, you should be able to get in.

I've been reluctant to weigh in here because different services have such different policies about how to handle IBD and its such a tough call. On deployment, I took care of a CD patient on immunomodulators that the Army activated and blissfully deployed. The Navy has taken a harder line and anyone with pancolitis or CD is supposed to get a medical board.

I'm ambivalent about whether the military should accept someone with this medical history. A colectomy is not a cure. People often struggle with the consequences of the colectomy and most will develop pouchitis within the next 10 years. Further, IBD is a spectrum and what looked like UC can start to look more like CD over time (every GI has patients that are post-colectomy and clearly have CD and not all of these were because of stupid surgeons). What will the government's liability be if these predictable complications occur? Likely VA benefits for life.

All that being said, the AF is lucky to suck in any physician they can get their hands on and maybe that risk is low enough to make it worth it. In the end, if the entire clinical picture left me with no doubt that the OP had UC, I'd probably recommend accepting him/her.

Good luck.

I know a flight surgeon in the AF that successfully got a waiver for someone with UC. Now you might not be able to have flight status, but It seems that its plausible to be world wide deployable if your disease is managed.

I know a flight surgeon in the AF that successfully got a waiver for someone with UC. Now you might not be able to have flight status, but It seems that its plausible to be world wide deployable if your disease is managed.

Totally different situation. Commissioning standards versus retention standards.

Ah, my bad thought you were already in.

So I thought I'd update everyone on how the AF application is going. I was initially denied by the surgeon general's office to even go to MEPS and get a physical. A day later, a recommendation letter from my surgeon (who used to be a consultant to the Army SG) reached them, and they said I could go to MEPS.

I did the physical last week, and am now waiting on the SG to grant me a waiver. My recruiter said they are probably going to grant me this waiver, else they would have never approved me for a physical.

Unfortunately, a board meets Tuesday to hand out HPSP scholarships, and if I don't get approved from the SG by then, and they give out all 52 scholarships that are left, then I will not be granted a 4 year scholarship. I which case I'll look into the Army.

Well congrats, and I hope you get into the AF. IF you dont and you get into the army you will realize we are the best branch. I am joking good luck.

I've been medically cleared!!! My application is complete and is being reviewed in San Antonio. That pretty much guarantees me an HPSP scholarship, however I may be too late to get it four full years. If I don't, I probably won't settle for a 3 year scholarship, cause I hear the Army still has plenty 4-years to give. Should know by the end of the day.

I've been medically cleared!!! My application is complete and is being reviewed in San Antonio. That pretty much guarantees me an HPSP scholarship, however I may be too late to get it four full years. If I don't, I probably won't settle for a 3 year scholarship, cause I hear the Army still has plenty 4-years to give. Should know by the end of the day.
Sweet, congrats

So it's official. I've beaten my UC yet again by getting a full 4-year HPSP scholarship with the Air Force. This just goes to show that you shouldn't give up on anything. I knew from the get go a history of UC was automatically disqualifying for th AF, but I worked hard, had to jump through a lot of hoops, but met my goal. Sweet is right.

I was really suprised to see your thread on here T, and I'm still very happy that it all worked out for you! Don't forget to tell everyone what a great guy that Army AMEDD recruiter from Nashville is:D

Seriously though, you have accomplished something that's pretty rare, honestly I didn't think that the AF would be able to do it. You're going to be a great asset to them, and hopefully I'll run into you at some EMEDS somewhere down the road...long as you're not having to stitch me back together:xf:Take care, and if you need anything don't hesitate to give me a shout.

SSG San

Remember this feeling when you are having a bad military day because of paperwork, matching , a late check etc... I am so happy for you. I am glad that we have another person that is happy with their choice. You would have been happier if you joined the Army though. LOL

So it's official. I've beaten my UC yet again by getting a full 4-year HPSP scholarship with the Air Force. This just goes to show that you shouldn't give up on anything. I knew from the get go a history of UC was automatically disqualifying for th AF, but I worked hard, had to jump through a lot of hoops, but met my goal. Sweet is right.

Hey, I am in a similar situation here...PA student who will graduate in a few months and want's to going the Army Reserve with a history of UC. Any pointers and recommendations on how to go about it? Sounds like it possible with a lot of luck.