HPSP Application Timeline - Too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportsguy8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an accepted medical student, but do not have the statistics to automatically qualify for HPSP. I'm right about the competitive range for them they said. I am getting a very late start on the process, and I am beginning to talk to a recruiter today or tomorrow.

I was wondering if it is too late to apply and if not, how long it will take to apply for the scholarship. They said it will take approx. 8-12 weeks. Also, what are the differences between the HPSP for the Navy and the Air Force?

I am also going out of the country until the last week of January so I most likely not be able to actually begin my application process with the recruiter till end of January. What things should I get ready on my part to complete the application as efficiently and quickly as possible?

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to give a couple of references of every place you have lived for the past 10 years I believe. That took some time for me. Otherwise it is just a TON of paperwork to sign. Be on top of it...and your recruiter.

You have three weeks to review everything written about HPSP on SDN. I recommend you do so before signing anything.

I was wondering if it is too late to apply and if not, how long it will take to apply for the scholarship. They said it will take approx. 8-12 weeks. Also, what are the differences between the HPSP for the Navy and the Air Force?

You have plenty of time. I didn't apply until late-February and had no issue. Your question regarding the differences between HPSP for AF and Navy makes me think you need to spend more time on the stickies in this forum. There is a big difference between the typical Navy career pathway and the other forces. You had better figure out what these are before you sign up.