HPSP Computer Rental Money

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snman31

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the HPSP handbook authorizes $250 per year for computer rental. Has anyone found a way to make that work to thier advantage? I can't really find a place that rents computers at all, let alone one that would do so for such a low price. Anyone ideas on how to take advantage of this would be most appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

snman31 said:
So the HPSP handbook authorizes $250 per year for computer rental. Has anyone found a way to make that work to thier advantage? I can't really find a place that rents computers at all, let alone one that would do so for such a low price. Anyone ideas on how to take advantage of this would be most appreciated.

I went to the local Rent A Center. I got a rental notebook computer during each of my away rotations with the Navy. It worked out pretty well for me to do it that way as I own a desktop rather than a notebook.

bobbyseal said:
I went to the local Rent A Center. I got a rental notebook computer during each of my away rotations with the Navy. It worked out pretty well for me to do it that way as I own a desktop rather than a notebook.

Great idea, I hadn't even thought about using it for the away rotations. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Too bad I can't do that for COT. I really hate the idea of borrowing my roommate's laptop for a month, but I can't do anything else because I have a desktop.

I know of at least one person who took his entire desktop to OTS last year and didn't have a problem with it. Just FYI.

kaikai128 said:
I know of at least one person who took his entire desktop to OTS last year and didn't have a problem with it. Just FYI.
Although I love my computer like hell and hate parting with it (what do you expect from someone who was raised in Silicon Valley), I refuse to bring it with me on the plane. Nobody is allowed to handle my computer, except me and me alone. This summer is going to be the first time I have ever checked anything in on a flight (I always pack a carry-on everytime I fly home for vacation/break). Trusting airlines with my clothes is enough of a stretch for me, let alone my computer.

tran1123 said:
Although I love my computer like hell and hate parting with it (what do you expect from someone who was raised in Silicon Valley), I refuse to bring it with me on the plane. Nobody is allowed to handle my computer, except me and me alone. This summer is going to be the first time I have ever checked anything in on a flight (I always pack a carry-on everytime I fly home for vacation/break). Trusting airlines with my clothes is enough of a stretch for me, let alone my computer.
They do allow you to carry on computers. Well, notebooks anyway.

I didn't know you were flying. I will be driving, so sometimes my tunnel vision gets the best of me. ;)

If anyone is still wondering, I got a nice HP Elitebook rental from here: http://www.cambridgecomputers.net/page/1o6e6/New_Customers.html
At the time I was searching last year, this was the only company I could find that would rent at the HPSP price - but apparently I missed the one mentioned above!

Edit: Just noticed that all the computer rental -threads have been bumped up and this was already mentioned in another one, sorry! http://forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?threads/hpsp-computer-laptop-lease.304774/

Last edited:
At the time I was searching last year, this was the only company I could find that would rent at the HPSP price - but apparently I missed the one mentioned above!

I've heard ok things about cambridge. I've rented twice now with two different companies and the militarypcrentals.com they mentioned was by far the best experience.