Hpsp-non-medical possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mumiitroll

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible for you to do hpsp and then do your payback in a nonmedical field? i.e. do 1 year of internship and then ask for transfer somewhere?

I have the following quote here:
"In order to cross into a line officer billet you need to work through the standard application process, if your functional and commander will approve transfer to the line and the rest of your application scores well in the top 15 of phase I, you attend phase II same as all other candidates. If selected, the functionals work your transfer to the line, which involves resigning medical/jag/nursing/chaplain direct commissions and re-entering thru a line officer oath of office... if you have constructive time (ie if you came in as a 1st LT or Capt due to college or job experience) you will lose that time --which may lead to a reduction in rank."

Members don't see this ad.

mumiitroll said:
Is it possible for you to do hpsp and then do your payback in a nonmedical field? i.e. do 1 year of internship and then ask for transfer somewhere?

It's possible if you royally screw up and get fired from residency or from med school. Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason why anyone would ever do that.

This seems extremely unlikely especially with the shortage they have right now. While the army is hurting for junior officers in all branches, if they paid 200k for your education, I don't think they want you to drop from an O3 in the Medical Corps to a 2LT leading a Platoon in the sandbox without IOBC or any other infantry training.