HPSP questions?

FuturArzt21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in high school right now and strongly set on a career in medicine and I have some questions about the HPSP and FAP program through the military. I understand that for medical school the HPSP scholarship is 3 or 4 years. My question is what happens after you complete medical school on an HPSP? When do complete your residency? Do you serve your obligation upon graduating from med school or are allowed to complete a residency first? Do you have to do a military residency? And what about fellowships, when do you complete those? I know its a lot of questions and it seems early to think about this stuff right now but I am just hoping I can get some answers.

Members don't see this ad.

You do a residency upon graduating from medical school and you can choose to do a military residency or a civilian residency (you actually have two chances to match into a residency). Then if you want to do a fellowship you fit that in after the residency or you could most likely go back and do it later after your payback years.

The military medicine forum on this website can offer you some good ideas as far as what life as a doctor in the military is like. I think they do require you to apply to military residencies in some cases.