HPSP Rank for Nontrads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dohnut

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I got a quick question for those of y'all familiar with the HPSP program.

I'm a nontrad medical school applicant, got a few interviews lined up so let's assume I get admitted and want to do HPSP. As y'all know when in med school the HPSPers are O-1.

However, I've already been for years a Pharm.D. and registered pharmacist, for which O-3 is the entry level rank. So I was wondering if anybody has been in the HPSP program while having a rank higher than O-1?

Your input is much appreciated,
Doh

Members don't see this ad.

No, your rank in HPSP is O-1. You will supersede to O-3 upon graduation and will likely get some credit for your prior degree towards the next promotion.

Even if you were an O-5 select like one of my classmates you'd still be an O-1 during medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
No, your rank in HPSP is O-1. You will supersede to O-3 upon graduation and will likely get some credit for your prior degree towards the next promotion.

Even if you were an O-5 select like one of my classmates you'd still be an O-1 during medical school.

Ditto on this. However with other advanced degrees, if I am not mistaken, it has to complement (masters in public health/healthcare admin etc) the MD/DO for one to get credit. I am not sure if having a physical therapy, occupational therapy, pharmD or other allied health degrees will do the same.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings all,

I got a quick question for those of y'all familiar with the HPSP program.

I'm a nontrad medical school applicant, got a few interviews lined up so let's assume I get admitted and want to do HPSP. As y'all know when in med school the HPSPers are O-1.

However, I've already been for years a Pharm.D. and registered pharmacist, for which O-3 is the entry level rank. So I was wondering if anybody has been in the HPSP program while having a rank higher than O-1?

Your input is much appreciated,
Doh

Your rank on beginning HPSP for Medical school is O-1 regardless of your other experience, and you promote to O-3 when you finish medical school unless you have prior experience as a military officer. Complementary degrees obtained before joining the military can add (I think) up to but no more than 2 years of credited time towards your first promotion. I'm pretty sure experience in a field that you are not joining, like a PharmD switching to Physician, doesn't count for anything. So you start an O1, will be an O3 on graduation, and may make O-4 1-2 years earlier than your classmates. Getting those 1-2 years of credit, BTW, involves a ton of persistence and paperwork and also requires them to judge that your degree really does complement a medical degree.

Last edited:

Well that's not true, as the O-2 on my ID card proves. It's possible to keep rank on starting med school now, even though you wear 2LT on rotations and go to captain at graduation.

I think there is confusion here, that doesn't sound real
You can keep prior service rank. You can not get rank simply for having prior life experience, as this poster is asking. However, if he were to join as a pharmacist, get commissioned to a higher rank, and then go on to HPSP or USUHS, he could keep that rank.

People with prior service and rank >O1 who go to USUHS now keep their higher pay, but their rank is still reduced to O1. What DFAS does has no effect on your actual rank.

I hadn't heard that HPSP did the same for the periods of active duty during med school.

Yeah, I can't speak from personal experience. However, I know a few of my colleagues who were O-3/O-4 prior officers who went HPSP and were struck back down to 2LT during their schooling. Maybe that's changed.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I can't speak from personal experience. However, I know a few of my colleagues who were O-3/O-4 prior officers who went HPSP and were struck back down to 2LT during their schooling. Maybe that's changed.

Nope, that's still going on. Met an O-5 who busted himself down to O-1 so he can become a doctor. Caveat is that upon graduation he gets promoted to O-4 due to his years in service.

just had a discussion with the civilian head of the Army program about this. O-1 for rank, prior grade (if higher) and years count for pay. You get 1/2 credit of officer TIS towards promotion, I believe by adjusting your year group. All documents (inc LES) say O-1 and you submit a form after the ADT to claim difference between O-1 and O-3 for base pay and BAH. For instance, I was an O-3 with 6 years. During ADT I get that as pay after adjustment but my rank is a 2LT. My pay at the start of residency is O-3 with 6 and I should be somehow credited with 3 years TIG towards promotion. Bottom line ---you don't lose money but you do have a lower rank, which as much as it will pain me to put a gold bar back, seems fair and logical. I trust the TIG towards promotion as I have met others who were promoted to O-4 3 years into residency.

If your prior service was enlisted, you get the years for pay but I do not believe you get the TIG credit towards promotion.

Reactions: 2 users
Well that's not true, as the O-2 on my ID card proves. It's possible to keep rank on starting med school now, even though you wear 2LT on rotations and go to captain at graduation.

And your ID card would be incorrect. ID card labs are like the DMV and just because someone messed up your ID card doesn't make it true.

just had a discussion with the civilian head of the Army program about this. O-1 for rank, prior grade (if higher) and years count for pay. You get 1/2 credit of officer TIS towards promotion, I believe by adjusting your year group. All documents (inc LES) say O-1 and you submit a form after the ADT to claim difference between O-1 and O-3 for base pay and BAH. For instance, I was an O-3 with 6 years. During ADT I get that as pay after adjustment but my rank is a 2LT. My pay at the start of residency is O-3 with 6 and I should be somehow credited with 3 years TIG towards promotion. Bottom line ---you don't lose money but you do have a lower rank, which as much as it will pain me to put a gold bar back, seems fair and logical. I trust the TIG towards promotion as I have met others who were promoted to O-4 3 years into residency.

If your prior service was enlisted, you get the years for pay but I do not believe you get the TIG credit towards promotion.

This is all correct. And yes, your date of rank will be adjusted when you supersede to O3. My suggestion: make sure it is correct when/if you get a statement of service just prior to med school graduation. If it's wrong then it will be a major pain to get it corrected.

Took me 6 years despite repeated trips to multiple different PSD's and eventually required a Board of Corrections hearing.

And your ID card would be incorrect. ID card labs are like the DMV and just because someone messed up your ID card doesn't make it true.
I have a DA-71 that commissions me as an O-2. I have orders that commission me as an O-2. So no, not a mistake. There was a policy change a few years back that let you keep your rank if you were going from active to HPSP. USUHS is different, as I guess they lose the rank but keep the pay grade. I know of a few people in the same position.

I have a DA-71 that commissions me as an O-2. I have orders that commission me as an O-2. So no, not a mistake. There was a policy change a few years back that let you keep your rank if you were going from active to HPSP. USUHS is different, as I guess they lose the rank but keep the pay grade. I know of a few people in the same position.

Then why do you wear O1 if you are an O2. I'll write my contacts at 'Big HPSP Admin Dept' to get the true skinny.

I have a feeling you are talking about the 2008 NDAA which introduced the concept of save pay. The current DOD regulations (as of Jan 15) still say AFHPSP members "pursuing a course of study will serve on active duty in pay grade O-1"

http://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/fmr/current/07a/07a_60.pdf

Last edited:
This is all correct. And yes, your date of rank will be adjusted when you supersede to O3. My suggestion: make sure it is correct when/if you get a statement of service just prior to med school graduation. If it's wrong then it will be a major pain to get it corrected.

Took me 6 years despite repeated trips to multiple different PSD's and eventually required a Board of Corrections hearing.

Thank you!

Ditto on this. However with other advanced degrees, if I am not mistaken, it has to complement (masters in public health/healthcare admin etc) the MD/DO for one to get credit. I am not sure if having a physical therapy, occupational therapy, pharmD or other allied health degrees will do the same.

How about if I went into anesthesiology with my background in drugs/pharmacy?