HPSP Recipient: UMD Baltimore (OOS) vs. USC Herman Ostrow (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elder_Citrus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been a long cycle but I can finally let out a sigh of relief, for now. I would appreciate any insights into deciding between these two schools (housing, INBDE pass rate, faculty, specialization rate, and overall experience)

Some key information: I am from SoCal and a graduating senior at a public university. I am also a recipient of the four-year HPSP and will be commissioned in a few months (that said, $ is not an explicit factor in my decision-making).

I am struggling to decide due to the following

-I grew up in LA, and have most of my friends and family here, yet my significant other of three years lives in Silver Spring, MD, which is 50 mins away from UMD. We started off long distancing at the very beginning and are looking into closing the gap, and her family seems to want me over there.

-Both schools are good for clinical and are both urban, although I am a bit unsure about Baltimore as it seems like double the danger of downtown LA. I do like Maryland’s weather better as I have sensitive skin. Besides family, I have more connections (church, dentists and mentors) in LA

-I don’t see a huge difference between the two schools curriculum-wise. I did quite well during the PBL interview and liked the format, but I am more used to Maryland’s e-didactic exams.

Thank you all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

UMD...

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Maryland (state and school) are cheaper than socal, so cost of living is easier. You could live around Columbia,MD/Howard County and have an ok commute to Baltimore and Silver Spring. Both schools are good and you’ll get out what you put into your education.

Reactions: 1 user