HPSP Student Branch: MSC/MC or nothing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocArmy

Roustabout
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What Branch of the Army am I in as an HPSP student? I have been told before that I am in the Medical Service Corps, but there was a question about ASU branch pins on the MODS discussion board and the student was told that HPSP students are NOT MSC, but are "unbranched." I have never heard that before and don't know how to interpret that.

Does that mean that, for the ASU, you wouldn't wear any branch pins? Just the two "U.S." pins?

And is that reflective of what people have seen at OBLC recently?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What Branch of the Army am I in as an HPSP student? I have been told before that I am in the Medical Service Corps, but there was a question about ASU branch pins on the MODS discussion board and the student was told that HPSP students are NOT MSC, but are "unbranched." I have never heard that before and don't know how to interpret that.

Does that mean that, for the ASU, you wouldn't wear any branch pins? Just the two "U.S." pins?

And is that reflective of what people have seen at OBLC recently?

Thanks.

While a student you wear the medical service corp pin....when you graduate, you wear the medical corp pin

Last edited:
http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r601_141.pdf

U.S. Army Health Professions Scholarship, Financial Assistance, and Active Duty Health Professions Loan Repayment Programs

[Ch2] Health Professions Scholarship Program

2–5. Appointment
a. For program participation, qualified civilian and enlisted applicants will be commissioned as branch unassigned,
detailed to the Medical Service Corps (MS), and awarded area of concentration (AOC) 00E (student officer). Other
eligible applicants will be retained in their basic branches and will be detailed to the MS for administrative accounting
and control purposes. Their AOC will be changed to 00E.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we wear the Health Service Command patch with the ASU and ACUs?

The pic under my name is the patch you wear with ACUs. Its the MEDDAC Command Patch. There are no patches on the right shoulder on the ASU like there was on the dress greens. You instead will wear the regimental command pin above ur name plate on ur ASUs. And maybe a unit pin lower on the jacket/blouse.

http://www.army.mil/asu/index.html

You instead will wear the regimental command pin above ur name plate on ur ASUs. And maybe a unit pin lower on the jacket

The unit pin on the right pocket of the ASU is in place of the combat patch on the old class A uniform's right shoulder.

Ed

Sorry to ask another question, but which sleeve of the ACU is the MEDCOM patch worn on. I understand one is designated for the unit you were deployed with, if you have been, and the other is your normal unit (which I guess is MEDCOM for students).

Thanks for the help.

Sorry to ask another question, but which sleeve of the ACU is the MEDCOM patch worn on. I understand one is designated for the unit you were deployed with, if you have been, and the other is your normal unit (which I guess is MEDCOM for students).

Thanks for the help.

The MEDDAC patch goes on the left shoulder...right side is for the unit you deployed with AND the reverse US Flag