HPSP to GMO to separate to FAP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aegis

Primary Care and Aerospace
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this is a pretty specific question, but let's just say "hypothetically" that someone takes the HPSP scholarship, pays off their commitment with a 4 year flight surgery tour, then separates from the military and enters civilian residency, but decides shortly into residency that being in the military wasn't so bad and decides to take the FAP. This seems feasible/possible. Right? So then heres the real question. If someone, is at the end of their commitment for HPSP and on a GMO tour and they want to stay in the military, but want to do a civilian residency, they have the option to either separate and do a residency or like most people do go through the military match and match into a civilian program. But, why on earth would you not separate, knowing that you want to stay in and then just take the FAP at the start of your residency. Ya, it's a paperwork pain to out-process and then come back in, but that's kind of a lot of money to just look away from vs. just going right through the military match and taking a civlian deferred spot if you have the option to sep. What am I missing here? Is this allowed??

Members don't see this ad.

You gain time towards retirement if you do FTOS or an in service residency. It doesn't make much sense to do 2+ years of training outside of the military knowing that you'll come back in and not try to gain time towards your needed 20 years.

Not all specialties are needed in sufficient numbers to get FAP. I know of people who were denied direct re-commissioning (sans bonus) because the military just didn't need* them anymore, much less take FAP money.

*Military need and actually need, of course, correlate only loosely.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if you really come out ahead. You lose out on 4 years ISP and MSP. Noncompetitive specialties around 200k for 4 years vs 225 for FAP for 3, you lose time in service, and you are obligated to a utilization tour with I presume less seniority in choice of location.

Hate to bump this threat, but I have some questions regarding the FAP program. If one were to pursue a civilian residency after completing their HPSP commitment (as a flight surgeon--TY internship completed); are they still eligible for the FAP program? Do the years in the FAP program count as years in service, and could you potentially be promoted while still in a civilian residency? What are some of the downsides to this program? It looks like this program would serve as a nice bridge for someone who would like to do a civilian residency, but still serve in the military.