About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HPSP/USUHS question

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by stupidmistakes, Apr 7, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. stupidmistakes

stupidmistakes

Pre-Medical

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    This is a little premature because I'm a sophomore in college, but i'm scared. I've read through almost every post on this site regarding HPSP/USUHS and talked to recruiters and I know I want to be a doctor in the Army. The problem is I haven't had the most respectable past. Last year I got written up for being drunk in the dorms and I have used drugs in the past. I've smoked pot about 7 times my last semester in high school and 3 times within a month this year (Jan-Feb). Basically do I even stand a chance of getting a security clearance ?
  2. teacherman84

teacherman84

Medical Student
    Air Force SDN 5+ Year Member
    For starters stop smoking pot.
    If that's it, you're done, never do it again and don't plan on doing it again you can still get a commission.
  3. stupidmistakes

stupidmistakes

Pre-Medical
    thanks for your help. that's definitely the plan. to prove my point it's 11:30 on a saturday night and i'm on this website. i've been googling this topic and saw that your name came up a lot, but your offense was a lot farther back in your past. i'm just worried that my multiple problems in a wider time frame will cause an issue
  4. Cooperd0g

Cooperd0g

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Be a model citizen from here on out and be honest about your past when asked. That is the best thing you can do. Keep screwing up and you won't get a commission. Lie about stuff and they will probably find out in your security clearance investigation and you'll be done.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  5. MTGas2B

MTGas2B Sunny and 70

Attending Physician
    Physician Faculty Navy SDN 7+ Year Member
    Also, even if you get in, if you pop positive on a random drug test on active duty you hosed your military career and your medical career.

I'm not going to condone drug use, but if you think there is a chance you may want to relive the high life, even on rare occasions I don't think a military career would be for you. Again, not condoning, but those rare transgressions would be professionally safer on the outside.
  6. stupidmistakes

stupidmistakes

Pre-Medical
    Thank you for your replies. I only did it because i was hanging out with bad friends who i've since stayed away from.
    Two questions: Do you know of any people who have done similar things, were upfront about it, and got in? and I know I have to report institutional actions (drunk in dorm) to medical schools, but do I have to say anything about it on the security form?