HPSP/USUHS question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stupidmistakes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a little premature because I'm a sophomore in college, but i'm scared. I've read through almost every post on this site regarding HPSP/USUHS and talked to recruiters and I know I want to be a doctor in the Army. The problem is I haven't had the most respectable past. Last year I got written up for being drunk in the dorms and I have used drugs in the past. I've smoked pot about 7 times my last semester in high school and 3 times within a month this year (Jan-Feb). Basically do I even stand a chance of getting a security clearance ?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a little premature because I'm a sophomore in college, but i'm scared. I've read through almost every post on this site regarding HPSP/USUHS and talked to recruiters and I know I want to be a doctor in the Army. The problem is I haven't had the most respectable past. Last year I got written up for being drunk in the dorms and I have used drugs in the past. I've smoked pot about 7 times my last semester in high school and 3 times within a month this year (Jan-Feb). Basically do I even stand a chance of getting a security clearance ?
For starters stop smoking pot.
If that's it, you're done, never do it again and don't plan on doing it again you can still get a commission.

thanks for your help. that's definitely the plan. to prove my point it's 11:30 on a saturday night and i'm on this website. i've been googling this topic and saw that your name came up a lot, but your offense was a lot farther back in your past. i'm just worried that my multiple problems in a wider time frame will cause an issue

Members don't see this ad :)
Be a model citizen from here on out and be honest about your past when asked. That is the best thing you can do. Keep screwing up and you won't get a commission. Lie about stuff and they will probably find out in your security clearance investigation and you'll be done.

Last edited:
Also, even if you get in, if you pop positive on a random drug test on active duty you hosed your military career and your medical career.

I'm not going to condone drug use, but if you think there is a chance you may want to relive the high life, even on rare occasions I don't think a military career would be for you. Again, not condoning, but those rare transgressions would be professionally safer on the outside.

Thank you for your replies. I only did it because i was hanging out with bad friends who i've since stayed away from.
Two questions: Do you know of any people who have done similar things, were upfront about it, and got in? and I know I have to report institutional actions (drunk in dorm) to medical schools, but do I have to say anything about it on the security form?