HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csx

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if the 8/8/8 cut off an absolute for the hpsp scholarship? What if you get into medschool with say a 23? What about a unbalanced 27 (ie: 6/10/11)?

Also, what's the timeline to apply for it? I really really want to serve and I dont wanna screw up my chances by applying too late. I get my MCAT scores back probably early October.

Members don't see this ad.

For the Army:
Is 8/8/8 absolute? Yes. Can you apply for a waiver? Yes. Chances of a waiver being given? 2% based on the number given this recruiting year.

Timeline? As soon as you have everything your recuiter needs to forward your packet (ASAP)

For the Navy recent history would show an uphill battle to be selected with either of those MCAT scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of MCAT score would you need to feel "safe"? Also, what happens in the event you get into medical school but do not get the scholarship but you still want it. How does that work? Are you just out of luck?

Last edited:
What kind of MCAT score would you need to feel "safe"? Also, what happens in the event you get into medical school but do not get the scholarship but you still want it. How does that work? Are you just out of luck?

I believe Navy is the most competitive of the three branches.

The Army is the least competitive, has the greatest number of slots, and seems to have a guaranteed acceptance policy for 3.5/29, though don't quote me on that.

I think it is extremely unlikely for someone to get into a MD/DO school but can't get a scholarship.

But I think a 23 is too low for DO schools, though I am not sure about a good 27 but with a 6 in one section.

For the Army:
Is 8/8/8 absolute? Yes. Can you apply for a waiver? Yes. Chances of a waiver being given? 2% based on the number given this recruiting year.

Timeline? As soon as you have everything your recuiter needs to forward your packet (ASAP)

Are you saying that there are a lot fewer scholarships given out this year?

I believe csx, the OP, could also use the following information, so I'll stick to this thread.

I am currently in the process of applying to Army HPSP, and I've already met with a recruiter. So far, the recruiter has asked me to provide the following:

1) All transcripts
2) Official copy of MCAT score
3) LORs (can be send to him via Interfolio)
4) A completed background/medical application (the AMEDD application - 60+ pages long)

However, my recruiter told me that a copy of my AMCAS/AACOMAS is NOT needed, and he hasn't said anything about HPSP-specific applications like essays and what not. So for @USArmyHPSP , could you give me a complete list of things needed for the application, things I am not listing above?

My recruiter's a great guy, and he definitely knows his stuff. But I am a bit inpatient and just want to know as much as I can. And my stats are 3.6 cumulative GPA (I believe the scholarship only cares about your cumulative/overall) and 33 MCAT.

How does HPSP look at MCAT retakes?

How does HPSP look at MCAT retakes?

They look at the most recent MCAT only, NOT your highest attempt.

And to be safe, I would strive for a 9/9/9 - 27. The score is good enough for any DO school, and should be fine for the HPSP.

They look at the most recent MCAT only, NOT your highest attempt.

And to be safe, I would strive for a 9/9/9 - 27. The score is good enough for any DO school, and should be fine for the HPSP.

This is not correct for Navy. All of your MCAT scores will be reviewed.

Oh really? Do they average all your scores?
No, in my experience each test is evaluated as a separate entity. If you take it three times then all three will be looked at seperately. The most recent will likely carry the most weight.

@backrow

How do you give official MCAT score reports to HPSP? You can't send them electronically, so the only option I see is to generate/printout your own official score report from MCAT THx. The generated score report has a verification code that HPSP can use to verify authenticity.

Members don't see this ad :)
@backrow

How do you give official MCAT score reports to HPSP? You can't send them electronically, so the only option I see is to generate/printout your own official score report from MCAT THx. The generated score report has a verification code that HPSP can use to verify authenticity.

No clue how that part of the application process works these days.

I believe with a GPA of >3.5 and MCAT>31 you are almost assured a scholarship as long as you don't wait too long. First come first served. Barring some red flag in your record.

@Sean Lee I applied and received the Navy HPSP for incoming class. I thought I'd help you guys out. Keep in mind I did the Navy Application. I printed my official score for MCAT THx and attached it to my application. Also, we had to write a motivational statement that had to fit in the PDF box that was provided. Mine was about a page long in word. I had to attach my AACOMAS application to prove that I did in fact apply to school and as soon as I had an acceptance I forwarded that along to be put into my packet. It doesn't have to be the one you go to if you end up getting into another one. Also for the MCAT portion in my experience Navy looked at highest score, while Army only looked at the most recent.

@csx In my experience the waiver for less than an 8 in one section for the Army requires some connections higher up the chain. I decided that even though I did have these connections to apply for the Navy scholarship because I met their requirements without having to try for a waiver.

If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me. I will help with what I can.

However, my recruiter told me that a copy of my AMCAS/AACOMAS is NOT needed, and he hasn't said anything about HPSP-specific applications like essays and what not. So for @USArmyHPSP , could you give me a complete list of things needed for the application, things I am not listing above?

I'm sorry, I don't work for recruiting, so I really don't know what they are currently asking for as far as the application packet. I do know that the Director of Medical Education for the Army would prefer to have the AMCAS/AACOMMAS in each packet and has mentioned this to the Chief Accessions several times.

As far as forwarding stuff to the Army HPSP office for review, your recruiter is responsible for that. The Army will only look at your latest attempt at the MCAT.

Anecdotally, I’ll tell you that most DO schools will even let you in with a MCAT below 23. Also, there are several allopathic schools who have something along the lines of an “underprivileged student” program or some such. Because of this status, they have allowed students in with MCATs in the teens and very low GPA from undergrad. Also, because of their life situation the HPSP scholarship looks appealing to these students and was part of the impetus for the minimum application criteria in the Army.

I believe with a GPA of >3.5 and MCAT>31 you are almost assured a scholarship as long as you don't wait too long. First come first served. Barring some red flag in your record.

Would a minor non-legal disciplinary record be a red flag?

Would a minor non-legal disciplinary record be a red flag?
Maybe, depends. Trying to guess what that might be....violating your college ethics code? Not paying fraternity dues? Speeding tickets seem to be forgiven.

Maybe, depends. Trying to guess what that might be....violating your college ethics code? Not paying fraternity dues? Speeding tickets seem to be forgiven.

I don't think HPSP asks for disciplinary incidents. They only do criminal background checks.

Army HPSP applicant here. My most recent MCAT was a 30 (6PS/13VR/11BS) and my previous score was a 26 (8/10/8). Because of the PS score in my retake I had to apply for a waiver. School starts July 25th and I am still waiting to hear the results from my waiver which was sent off back in March. I will let you know how it goes for me!

I have a quick question regarding weight/height requirements.

I am 5'10'' (or at least 5'9'') and I weigh close to 170 lbs. Will this pose a problem? I am not familiar with the weight/height ratio thing required by the army.

I'm the subject matter expert on all things HPSP, if you have any questions let me know, they're currently taking applications.

I'm the subject matter expert on all things HPSP, if you have any questions let me know, they're currently taking applications.

3.6 GPA, 33 MCAT. Army HPSP candidate.

As of today, I have completed MEPS (am I qualified), turned in my AMEDD Application, and the only thing my recruiter still needs are my LORs.

I am applying to medical schools right now for 2015 matriculation. From your experience, is it pretty much a guarantee that I get the scholarship?

3.6 GPA, 33 MCAT. Army HPSP candidate.

As of today, I have completed MEPS (am I qualified), turned in my AMEDD Application, and the only thing my recruiter still needs are my LORs.

I am applying to medical schools right now for 2015 matriculation. From your experience, is it pretty much a guarantee that I get the scholarship?

As long as you interviewed well you'd be competitive in the Navy.

As long as you interviewed well you'd be competitive in the Navy.

I am applying for the army. And are you saying that there'll be an interview for HPSP? Will my recruiter schedule that for me?

I am applying for the army. And are you saying that there'll be an interview for HPSP? Will my recruiter schedule that for me?

I don't remember having a formal interview, but then again this was quite some time ago. Anything you need to do for HPSP your recruiter will help you set it up. That's his job. That, and knowing a whole lot about selling bridges.

No you are not petty officer. You may know what that instruction says but you can't be an expert on all things HPSP. No one is. Taking HPSP is choosing to spend the next decade in mil med minimum.

All things HPSP includes the following:

Residency availability and quality by specialty.

Case mix as an attending

And countless other aspects of the decision to be a military physician about which you have zero insight.

The word expert means something more to physicians than having taken an nko course.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
When you want to know if you'll get accepted, but know you'll never accept the scholarship.

When is the best time to apply to HPSP?
The Army's fiscal year begins in October. This is the best time to apply because this is when the most scholarships are available. You can start working on the application 6 months prior to the board. Therefore, the best time to contact a recruiter is the summer after your Junior year.