HS junior looking into dental field

samoe31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, well ever since freshman year I have been looking into dental school and it's basically been my future career choice. I don't know what is it with me but I have an odd fascination with it, it's definitely my dream. It seems like something I'd really enjoy, so that's where I think my path will definitely take me.

Things I'm worried/wondering about:
- My cum. gpa freshman/sophomore years is 2.98. Let's just say I had a bad freshman year and decent sophomore year. This year, I am taking my ed. seriously, going for A's, and taking the only AP class available at my HS (it's a small "Option School") which is APUSH. I am pretty sure I'll be able to increase my GPA the next few years. My question is, do I still stand a chance to get into my state universities? I am set on not going to a community college and I'm really hoping universities won't reject me if my gpa is around the 3.0-3.2 range.

- Any extracurriculars or volunteer work you could suggest relating to the dental/medical/science field that would look good on my college application? I really want colleges to go, "hey, this guy looks really dedicated, we want him". Will mention that I have absolutely no ECs/shadowing/or community service.

- Senior year scheduling is right around the corner, should I completely fill my course load or make it lightweight (which will probably help my gpa)? Which do colleges prefer?

Members don't see this ad.

The good news is you haven't ruined your undergraduate GPA yet.

The bad news is you probably won't get into a top college. That's ok. The competition at the lower-tier colleges will probably be lower and the classes easier, so your grade can be higher. The tradeoff is less opportunities for research, linkage, and networking.

Your pre-college extracurriculars most likely will not be that impressive for graduate school applications. You can get a few things out of the way, though, such as shadowing and establishing a stable record of community service. If you volunteer somewhere for 4-8 hours a week every week until your junior / application year in college, starting the activity while still in high school will show dedication.

I'm a bit glad that my high school required mandatory community service and offered 11 AP tests :laugh:

Blah... I walked out of high school with >3.0 GPA, very little ECs, etc. I just wasn't motivated and didn't try in classes. I took tests which was enough to get me a C-B range but never did homework, etc. I luckily scored high enough on the ACT to get a full ride to a 4-year regional university.

College actually motivated me and I did very well with a 3.97 cGPA and quite a few ECs and all.

Point being, you don't need a big university to get to your final destination.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you need help with APUSH, I got a 5 on the exam last year, so feel free to send a PM if you want anything.

It's just your sophomore year, you haven't messed up everything yet. As you matriculate through high school, the blemishes from freshman and sophomore year will at least lessen a bit because the junior and senior year credits will counterbalance some of that if you do well.

Personally, I'd recommend a lightweight senior year, especially if your GPA is your main concern.

Okay, well ever since freshman year I have been looking into dental school and it's basically been my future career choice. I don't know what is it with me but I have an odd fascination with it, it's definitely my dream. It seems like something I'd really enjoy, so that's where I think my path will definitely take me.

Things I'm worried/wondering about:
- My cum. gpa freshman/sophomore years is 2.98. Let's just say I had a bad freshman year and decent sophomore year. This year, I am taking my ed. seriously, going for A's, and taking the only AP class available at my HS (it's a small "Option School") which is APUSH. I am pretty sure I'll be able to increase my GPA the next few years. My question is, do I still stand a chance to get into my state universities? I am set on not going to a community college and I'm really hoping universities won't reject me if my gpa is around the 3.0-3.2 range.

- Any extracurriculars or volunteer work you could suggest relating to the dental/medical/science field that would look good on my college application? I really want colleges to go, "hey, this guy looks really dedicated, we want him". Will mention that I have absolutely no ECs/shadowing/or community service.

- Senior year scheduling is right around the corner, should I completely fill my course load or make it lightweight (which will probably help my gpa)? Which do colleges prefer?

Don't worry.. I left high school with a 2.9

Do well during your undergrad years, volunteer, shadow dentists, research and you should be fine.

To get into college, it doesn't take much, but any volunteer work, leadership anything related all help you. Community college def is always there to take a few semesters to get rid of your core classes first then if you do well get a scholarship when you transfer to a university -thats what i did.

Thanks for the replies. I was worried about my gpa but not so much now. I guess I'll just go to my local state university upon graduating (I'm in Oregon so I'm looking at UofO/OSU). Those hopefully won't be too hard to get into if I bump my gpa up.

And that's awesome Conflagration, I know the exam is incredibly hard. I have one exam-prep book right now and planning on getting a few more. Which books did you use yourself to study? I'll definitely PM you if I need any help when that time comes, thanks.

Well, my teacher loaned us three different ones, but we used this book that compiled Richard Hofstadter's essays throughout the year. It really did help.

Also, I'd recommend trying to look into background information that interests you. It gives you a feel for the time period in question and it won't be hard to remember if you're interested in it.

Mnemonic devices are lifesavers. It seems silly, but any way you can stick information in your head are the best ways.

Remember with DBQ's- they want the history. Don't go overboard with 'artsy' of 'fluffy' phrases, since these are very ambiguous. Use 7 or 8 if you can, 5 or 6 at a minimum. Cite correctly or it may count against you. Another tip: It's better to have a balanced essay than over-elaborating on one source and shrinking out of your others.

Any questions? Just shoot a PM.

It doesn't matter what your high school GPA looks like. It's all about what you achieve in college.

Most dental schools are looking for someone with a 3.6 or higher GPA (unfortunately the number keeps rising every year...) You'll also take the DAT, which is pretty much the dental school equivalent of the SAT.

The most important things I've learned:
1. Maintain goals. This will give you a direction to work toward.
2. GET INVOLVED IN THE FIELD!!! You should shadow, volunteer, work, etc. in the dental field. It will give you a better idea of what you're getting into and will give you an advantage when you apply. (Doing +50 hours in any one location looks very good... +100 shows a pretty strong commitment.)
3.Take the DAT the summer after you finish all the requirements. (Bio, chem, and o chem.) Generally the summer after your sophomore year. Use the Kaplan book to study from, and don't hesitate to test your knowledge with quizzes online meant for AP studying! They're free and can give you more questions on your weak areas.
4. Apply early. The application cycle starts in June, more than a full year before you start dental school. Try to get your letters of recommendation in the spring so they are ready for the June submission. The later you submit, the less likely you will receive invitations for interviews.

Keep your head up. I didn't know I wanted to do dentistry until my sophomore year in college. I was able to make up the difference. In my mind you're ahead of the game. You just need to buckle down and get ready to study hard in college! :)

Best of luck!