HS Student needs Guidance!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HypePL

HS Early Graduate Senior
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 16 year old HS Junior who is going to be an early graduate (Class of 2015), I'm based in Texas and have been working hard to reach my ultimate goal of obtaining a PharmD. But, I'm oblivious to everything, I was told by current pharm students that I'm able to graduate and finish college in 6 years. I'll involve me doing my pre-reqs at a college and then applying for a pharmacy school. All of this was very vague to me, does anyone know the process and can help me out? My goal is to finish school as fast as possible. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just go to the schools website in which you tend to apply and it should have the specific courses needed before being able to start pharmacy school. Enroll at a CC or University and complete those credits (do your best). Take the PCAT after you complete the first year of the prereqs.

The fastest route IMO is taking courses in ever semester (including 12 credits in summer if possible). After you complete the PCAT you should wait for PharmCAS to open and complete it the beginning of your final year of prereqs so that you can go right into COP after finishing prereqs if accepted.

This is just the general process... In order to be competitive you should aim for GPA 3.5+ in all areas, PCAT 85+, and balanced with as many extracurriculars and volunteer/leadership roles that you can obtain while doing your prereqs (pharmacy experience of some sort is important also)

I'm a 16 year old HS Junior who is going to be an early graduate (Class of 2015), I'm based in Texas and have been working hard to reach my ultimate goal of obtaining a PharmD. But, I'm oblivious to everything, I was told by current pharm students that I'm able to graduate and finish college in 6 years. I'll involve me doing my pre-reqs at a college and then applying for a pharmacy school. All of this was very vague to me, does anyone know the process and can help me out? My goal is to finish school as fast as possible. Thanks!

Here is my advice - Decide why you want to go to pharmacy school. If you can imagine yourself doing something else, do that. Pharmacy will certainly not be the same in the 6-8 years it takes you to become a pharmacist. Add two more for paths that end you up in specialty residencies.I automatically worry about anyone going into pharmacy who includes "finish school as fast as possible" as a goal.

Reactions: 1 user