HSPAL Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nicxopharm

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I’m a third year pharmacy student who is interested in admin/management. I also enjoy clinical practice but see myself happier in a leadership role.

My question is what does the job market look like for those post-HSPAL residents? Also, what are some of the more progressive programs that really helps build both the clinical and leadership skills for those in an HSPAL? I would love any tips and advice from those already in leadership roles too.

Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! I’m a third year pharmacy student who is interested in admin/management. I also enjoy clinical practice but see myself happier in a leadership role.

My question is what does the job market look like for those post-HSPAL residents? Also, what are some of the more progressive programs that really helps build both the clinical and leadership skills for those in an HSPAL? I would love any tips and advice from those already in leadership roles too.

You might want to look at VA programs. As long as you're not geographically limited, you'll find a management position somewhere. However, note that managers don't get paid that much more than regular pharmacists at the VA (and in some cases the same amount).

Reactions: 1 user

Your best bet is to match with a combined 2 year HSPAL program. You'll get the same clinical experiences as a PGY-1 resident during year 1, and can take advantage of those experiences within the same hospital/health system during your second year. Many of these programs also offer the option of an combined MBA/MHA.

I would say the job market is favorable for these positions as long as you are not geographically limited and are content with being a middle manager straight out of residency.

Reactions: 1 user