HSPH Incoming Class - Fall 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

underg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys :welcome:

I just thought to start a thread for those starting at HSPH in the fall. We can ask questions(I have alotttttt of questions) and share information.

Also is anyone planning on attending the open house?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for starting this thread. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the Open House (really bummed about that) but I hope those who do will post here about their experiences.

Thanks for starting this thread. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the Open House (really bummed about that) but I hope those who do will post here about their experiences.

I will be attending the open house. I will make sure to post info on it for all those who cant make it. What program are you going to be in?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm entering the one-year MPH program. What program are you going into? Have you decided on whether you'll be living on or off-campus? The rents seem to be very affordable off-campus whereas it seems very expensive on. I definitely will be living away from campus, although it is less convenient.

Thanks for posting info about the visit day!

I will be in the 2 year epidemiology program..... I will definitely be living off-campus, way more affordable. If it is close enough to a train station, I don't think it will that bad (hopefully!).

I also hope to find a roommate (or roommates):xf:

Hey, guys! I will be attending the 2-year MS60 in Biostatistics Program. I'm hoping to live at Trilogy if not Shattuck. I'm in Asia right now, so I won't be able to attend Open House, but I hope the people that do can give us the scoop on here. I look forward to meeting you all!

Btw, when does financial aid typically get disbursed?

hey wanthony

I looked at Trilogy, seems a lot nicer (and also newer) than Shattuck. I will make sure to pass along info from the open house (it seems like a really long day 8-5, hopefully it will be interesting)..

I haven't gotten any financial aid so I do not know.

hey wanthony

I looked at Trilogy, seems a lot nicer (and also newer) than Shattuck. I will make sure to pass along info from the open house (it seems like a really long day 8-5, hopefully it will be interesting)..

I haven't gotten any financial aid so I do not know.

Thanks, underg! 9 hours?!? :eek: I can't imagine what they'll have you doing for that long...

As for housing, I'm completely torn between the two. On one hand, Shattuck is more social and a tad bit cheaper. On the other hand, Trilogy is newer and offers the shuttle bus service. I guess I'll apply to both and see just see what happens.

Have you contacted the financial aid office yet?

Thanks, underg! 9 hours?!? :eek: I can't imagine what they'll have you doing for that long...

As for housing, I'm completely torn between the two. On one hand, Shattuck is more social and a tad bit cheaper. On the other hand, Trilogy is newer and offers the shuttle bus service. I guess I'll apply to both and see just see what happens.

Have you contacted the financial aid office yet?

I guess listening to speech upon speech :shrug:. I also considered Shattuck because it will provide a good opportunity to meet other students within the school. The price is just what is keeping me away, oh well!.

I am an international students, so i cant get financial aid. However, the letter on the finaid website says decisions are still being made about scholarships. I am still very hopeful. It will be heartbreaking if I have to turn down HSPH due to money issues :thumbdown:

I am an international students, so i cant get financial aid. However, the letter on the finaid website says decisions are still being made about scholarships. I am still very hopeful. It will be heartbreaking if I have to turn down HSPH due to money issues :thumbdown:[/QUOTE]

why international students cannot get financial aid? you mean student loan?
we are in the same boat....
i am a SM II in department of society, human development and health.
is there a dorm on campus kids/family-friendly?
I'll probably bring my kid with me.

I am an international students, so i cant get financial aid. However, the letter on the finaid website says decisions are still being made about scholarships. I am still very hopeful. It will be heartbreaking if I have to turn down HSPH due to money issues :thumbdown:

why international students cannot get financial aid? you mean student loan?
we are in the same boat....
i am a SM II in department of society, human development and health.
is there a dorm on campus kids/family-friendly?
I'll probably bring my kid with me.[/QUOTE]

Hi Bestluck

I think we cant get financial aid because it is from the government and we are not citizens. HSPH is offering loans for international students though. I think some of the dorms are family friendly, I am not totally sure though.

Is any one going to the networking event?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to see if anyone who attended the open house (which is today) would like to post their thoughts on the experience... I would greatly appreciate any insight since I was not able to attend. Thanks!!!!

Hey Guys

So I attended the Open House, and I will try and Summarize the day (the parts I was present for, arrived late and left early).

I missed most of the opening remarks, only caught the last portion where a current student talked a little bit about Boston about it being a great city.

After that was the departmental meetings, I am in Epi (so this might not be helpful to those in other departments). One of the faculty spoke to us about the department. He told us about the key contact people within the department. Most professors have an open door policy and are willing to help. He talked about the course requirements and research opportunities. In terms of funding, apparently the school has very limited funding. The epi department is very research focused, so if you are not big on research think twice
Then some current students came in and answered questions from the students. Pretty much said it is a heavy course load but it is doable. They do not advise to get a job in the first semester until you can get a hang of things.

We had lunch with current students. They were very nice and approached us to talk (there were in no rush). Everyone I spoke to loved being at HSPH and said they were a lot of opportunities.

I attended the international students events that covered visa, housing and all those stressful processes....

Personal Observations

The green line sucks!:thumbdown:
The people here seemed very passionate about what they were doing, very approachable and nice.
There a alot of resources and they really tried to sell the school (for harvard I thought that was impressive).

Hope this helped

I know this is a general run through but if anyone had a more direct question, feel free to ask.

Hey Guys

So I attended the Open House, and I will try and Summarize the day (the parts I was present for, arrived late and left early).

I missed most of the opening remarks, only caught the last portion where a current student talked a little bit about Boston about it being a great city.

After that was the departmental meetings, I am in Epi (so this might not be helpful to those in other departments). One of the faculty spoke to us about the department. He told us about the key contact people within the department. Most professors have an open door policy and are willing to help. He talked about the course requirements and research opportunities. In terms of funding, apparently the school has very limited funding. The epi department is very research focused, so if you are not big on research think twice
Then some current students came in and answered questions from the students. Pretty much said it is a heavy course load but it is doable. They do not advise to get a job in the first semester until you can get a hang of things.

We had lunch with current students. They were very nice and approached us to talk (there were in no rush). Everyone I spoke to loved being at HSPH and said they were a lot of opportunities.

I attended the international students events that covered visa, housing and all those stressful processes....

Personal Observations

The green line sucks!:thumbdown:
The people here seemed very passionate about what they were doing, very approachable and nice.
There a alot of resources and they really tried to sell the school (for harvard I thought that was impressive).

Hope this helped

I know this is a general run through but if anyone had a more direct question, feel free to ask.

Thank you so much for introducing so many exciting detailed information to us!
I myself probably wont go to Harvard. I just knew from my department that only the top 5 master students (application ranking) can get some sort of funding. I am not among them.
I got an offer from another U (not even close to Harvard) Phd program.
I am torn between but I lean toward the other choice since the debt will be huge if I go to HSPH.

Hi guys, I was also at the open house. There were lots of speeches and seminars throughout the day, as usual.

I have to say, I found the opening remarks painful. One person who spoke told us that the reason that we should attend HSPH was essentially, because all of the other schools suck (bad weather, etc), with disparaging remarks about every other top school out there.

The department meetings were helpful, though, especially the student panel. Students seemed to love the program, but they did warn us that we'd be working 24/7, so much so that part-time jobs aren't even recommended the first semester. It sounded like the kind of place where you really have to be "proactive" about getting what you want out of it, especially if it's practical approaches you're interested in. If you want to do research, especially work as an RA, it sounds like a great program.

The career services are top-notch. They focus heavily on giving you opportunities to prepare and practice for any kind of interview. They probably have the best career services of any school I visited.

While I've found other schools that are a better fit for me personally, I think it does have a lot to offer in terms of proximity to hospitals and other public health organizations, in career and life resources, and in research opportunities. You'd also get to take classes at the other Harvard schools. The downsides would be that faculty are extremely busy. It also seemed like their heart was in the PhD program, so if you're going for a Master's degree, I'd expect that it may not be as supportive.

@bestluck: Funding is a really big problem. It surprised me that they were no financial opportunities to help students out. I always thought otherwise.

@Lightning Woman: I agree that everyone seemed to love it there. I cannot help but worry about the stress that comes with the program. It seems like the workload is very intense. Every student pretty much agreed that it is a hardcore program. Oh well. Are you going to be enrolling at HSPH?

Last edited:
Hey PeriEpi

I guess I will be seeing you in the fall. I really loved the atmosphere there and excited to start school.

Also. How is everyone making living arrangements? I have been trying to look for an off-campus and have found some really nice ones. I need people for the other rooms. If you are interested send me a message and we can talk further.

@bestluck: Funding is a really big problem. It surprised me that they were no financial opportunities to help students out. I always thought otherwise.

@Lightning Woman: I agree that everyone seemed to love it there. I cannot help but worry about the stress that comes with the program. It seems like the workload is very intense. Every student pretty much agreed that it is a hardcore program. Oh well. Are you going to be enrolling at HSPH?

I'm not going to be enrolling at HSPH- I decided on another school instead. The stress and intense workload in the quarter system, combined with the fact that I don't want such a heavy focus on research, turned me off of the HSPH program. I hope that it's a better fit for you though, and that you do well there.

Hey underg,

Yes, i think we will be seeing each other in the fall indeed! which program are you in again? are you in the SM2 in Epi? I wonder if we met last week?

I am definitely looking for off-campus housing, likely in Jamaica Plain, or maybe in mission hill (the longwood medical area neighborhood). From what I understand, it makes a lot of sense to start looking for apartments now, given the climate of the boston rental market. i am hoping to find an affordable one bedroom, and to live solo...but i'm not sure how feasible that will be given the overall cost of harvard.

where are you looking to live? have you just been looking on craigslist?

Hey PeriEpi

I guess I will be seeing you in the fall. I really loved the atmosphere there and excited to start school.

Also. How is everyone making living arrangements? I have been trying to look for an off-campus and have found some really nice ones. I need people for the other rooms. If you are interested send me a message and we can talk further.

Hey underg,

Yes, i think we will be seeing each other in the fall indeed! which program are you in again? are you in the SM2 in Epi? I wonder if we met last week?

I am definitely looking for off-campus housing, likely in Jamaica Plain, or maybe in mission hill (the longwood medical area neighborhood). From what I understand, it makes a lot of sense to start looking for apartments now, given the climate of the boston rental market. i am hoping to find an affordable one bedroom, and to live solo...but i'm not sure how feasible that will be given the overall cost of harvard.

where are you looking to live? have you just been looking on craigslist?

Yes, I am in the SM2 Epi. We might have met or at atleast saw one another. I think looking for an apt. now will be good. Given the number of students around the area it might become difficult when August/September rolls around.

I am looking to live around Mission Hill too, Jamaica plain and Allston seems to have more affordable apt. but I am not familiar with the neighborhoods. I am also looking around the cambridge area (since there is a free shuttle that runs from the campus there to longwood). I have looked on craigslist and also independent realtor sites.

Does anyone know if you can easily change your area of interest? For example, genetic epidemiology to infectious disease epi?

My impression is that, as long as these are both within the same department (I'm assuming epi), this would not be a problem.

Also, the academic coordinator of the department is very knowledgeable and responsive, and would likely have a quick and more definitive answer for you.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if you can easily change your area of interest? For example, genetic epidemiology to infectious disease epi?

I spent a bit of time in Jamaica Plain when I was visiting and thought the neighborhood was really cool! (and also pretty close to HSPH)

I will be starting to look for apts online very soon...

Good luck, underg!

Yes, I am in the SM2 Epi. We might have met or at atleast saw one another. I think looking for an apt. now will be good. Given the number of students around the area it might become difficult when August/September rolls around.

I am looking to live around Mission Hill too, Jamaica plain and Allston seems to have more affordable apt. but I am not familiar with the neighborhoods. I am also looking around the cambridge area (since there is a free shuttle that runs from the campus there to longwood). I have looked on craigslist and also independent realtor sites.

If you are a Master's student, I don't think it would be very difficult. Even if they do make it difficult, you could easily take the relevant coursework.

If you are a doctoral student, the situation is very different. Infectious Disease epidemiology is by far the most competitive concentration to get into, certainly within the Epi department, and quite possibly at the entire school. From what I understand, last year they had in excess of one hundred applicants and admitted four students (this is a rumor, but I think it is credible).

Under normal circumstances, I don't think changing your concentration is hard, the main purpose of stating an area of interest on your application is so they can assign the appropriate academic advisor. However, I think finding someone in the Infectious Disease group who is able to take on an extra doctoral student is going to be super challenging.

I am getting ready to take the GRE and I was hoping to get an idea of the scores I need to get. On most school websites there have not been average scores posted, as its the "whole package" thats important. Would a couple of you all mind posting your GRE scores?
I would really appreciate it. Thanks

i think you could find more scores in the accepted fall 2011 thread. many people have posted their stats and acceptances/rejections there.

my gre score was 770Q, 670V, 5.5 writing

good luck!

I am getting ready to take the GRE and I was hoping to get an idea of the scores I need to get. On most school websites there have not been average scores posted, as its the "whole package" thats important. Would a couple of you all mind posting your GRE scores?
I would really appreciate it. Thanks