HSPH: switch department before enrollment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littleprince

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I really need your help.

I'm having a big headache over my decision in choosing department. I was accepted to the Health Policy and Management dept. at Harvard (Policy track) in Feb. Unfortunately for me, I didn't do sufficient research before making my decision and only realize now that the quant-econ intensive program may not be the best choice for me.

I'm an international student, have a fair GRE score (160V 165Q 4.5W), very good LoRs, and ample on-the-ground experience working in a developing country on HIV/AIDS. With all that, Global Health is probably the more logical choice.

Does anyone know if it's possible to ask for a switch among departments? I've seen somewhere that Global Health is actually harder to get into than HPM - so do they allow such a switch? Should I wait until after enrollment to ask, or should I go and ask right away? I'm feeling so bad since I've been contacting the dean of HPM, and she is just so nice and kind and helpful....

What should I do? Help please!

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

No matter what we advise, at some point you'll have to talk to someone at HSPH to get the best solution since they know the unique system of HSPH better than many of us do. The question right now is who to talk to. Find someone who is a 3rd party who will be willing to help. Perhaps talk to the people who lead Global Health since they will have to be the one to let you in even if your HPM dean lets you leave. Be honest with how you've come to this decision ("I'm happy that I was in HPM, but after giving some time to self evaluate my application/goals and reflect, I realized that my interest lie more in Global Health"). If they don't let you switch, then at least you're at HSPH, one of the best schools in the world.

i have the same doubts. i am currently accepted in CMP policy track. my focus on studying, however, is about health policy in developing countries, so i could apply the education back here in the indonesian ministry of health. i am still having troubles regarding which concentration i should pick. should it be health policy focus? or should it be global health..

my career projection is here in the indonesian ministry of health.. i assume doing much analysis of the US health system wouldnt benefit me as much

do you have anything to share regarding this situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I really need your help.

I'm having a big headache over my decision in choosing department. I was accepted to the Health Policy and Management dept. at Harvard (Policy track) in Feb. Unfortunately for me, I didn't do sufficient research before making my decision and only realize now that the quant-econ intensive program may not be the best choice for me.

I'm an international student, have a fair GRE score (160V 165Q 4.5W), very good LoRs, and ample on-the-ground experience working in a developing country on HIV/AIDS. With all that, Global Health is probably the more logical choice.

Does anyone know if it's possible to ask for a switch among departments? I've seen somewhere that Global Health is actually harder to get into than HPM - so do they allow such a switch? Should I wait until after enrollment to ask, or should I go and ask right away? I'm feeling so bad since I've been contacting the dean of HPM, and she is just so nice and kind and helpful....

What should I do? Help please!

Thanks so much.

I can understand the ambivalence and doubts. It sounds like you are taking steps to remedy the situation - or at the very least, communicate openly with the dean about your concerns.

Some programs will specifically outline (usually on their websites) rules/regulations about switching concentrations. Some will explicitly prohibit it, some are open to it. I would peruse the website and see if anything is noted on there. As noted above by Solara, only the department(s) can answer your questions. There are reasons why switching can be complex, if not nearly impossible. At Columbia, for example, if an applicant is interested in the global health program they must indicate this on the application. The program specifically states that they do not allow admitted students (from another department) to switch into the global health program once the school year starts. The faculty of a department decides which applicants they choose to admit for their specific department. Switching means that the faculty in another department has to reconvene, and being admitted to one department does not guarantee admission to another department. (Harvard is obviously an excellent school, and the public health program is top-notched. The health policy training is rigorous, rich, and superlative. Though global health programs are particularly competitive in the broad sense, the global health program at Harvard is no more competitive than the HPM department in particular or other global health programs in general. In my opinion Emory, Hopkins, and Columbia offer better global health training - again, simply my opinion.)

I recommend sorting this out before enrollment. You do not want to show up in Boston only to find out you cannot switch or to find out the HPM track is not the best fit. As you well know, the degree is a huge investment. You want to start on the right footing. Good luck! :D

i have the same doubts. i am currently accepted in CMP policy track. my focus on studying, however, is about health policy in developing countries, so i could apply the education back here in the indonesian ministry of health. i am still having troubles regarding which concentration i should pick. should it be health policy focus? or should it be global health..

my career projection is here in the indonesian ministry of health.. i assume doing much analysis of the US health system wouldnt benefit me as much

do you have anything to share regarding this situation?

Zekashis, I received your message. I thought I would answer here, since it may apply to others, as well.

I see your concerns, and I think they are reasonable. It makes sense that health policy/management training here in the States would focus on healthcare issues specific to the U.S. healthcare sector. As you may recall, I am specifically interested in mental health policy; this is the primary reason why Harvard is not a good fit despite the offer of admission. That aside, I am interested in health policies in the developing world, seemingly and endearingly termed these days as the Global South. However, if you look at the curriculum closely, Harvard may still be a good fit. Take a look at the curriculum guide. There are options to take courses in other departments, including the global health program, and in other schools, including the Kennedy School and the Law School. You can complete the health policy/management training by taking courses in other departments. These may offer you plentiful opportunities to design your training such that it meets your short-term and long-term goals. Also, the U.S. healthcare sector may be regarded as a model for healthcare development in other countries. As such, having the knowledge and skills related to U.S. health policy/management may be to your advantage as these can then be applied or are translated to other areas of the world. This is a generalization, obviously, but you see my point.

As for your questions about European schools, this will depend on the kind of training you wish to have. Cambridge and Oxford offer public health related degrees; they are known to be more research-oriented/quantitative-based. The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine is one of the leading public health schools in the world. It is more akin to MPH programs in the States with regards to practical training, although the School does excellent training in research, as well. You are right, European schools are more likely to offer opportunities to focus your studies on developing countries. The London School, for example, is heavily focused on meeting the healthcare needs of developing countries. (It is notable that many of these countries are former colonies of the British Empire.) Whereas MPH programs in the U.S. offer global health programs if an applicant is interested in the international sector, European programs - or more specifically, British schools - offer programs with the international sector in mind (as opposed to a separate global health program). So, whether you are interested in health policy, epidemiology, or another field, the curriculum will have the international communities in mind. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much Solara and porkbunsrule for your advice. I think I will try to find out as much information as I can before writing to professors about this. I really really like HPM - it's such a great program, but am hesitant since my quant skills are not that solid. My friend totally made me paranoid saying that once you go to grad school, you're supposed to already know a lot of stuffs in the curriculum, and that HSPH is such a large school professors wouldn't have time for you if you fell behind...

I'm also very cautious about my decision, since I already received a scholarship from HPM (12k per year toward tuition - the rest is supposed to be cover by Fulbright), and switching to any other dept. also equals losing that.

Joining this forum has given me SO much information, and people are so helpful. I come from a developing country and have never lived abroad before, so I'm kind of nervous. But the information from this forum has been extremely helpful to me. Feel really blessed. Thanks guys.

Last edited: