HSPS and RFUMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Don'tStopMeNow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This stuff is supplemental, my question is below this chunk... let me know if I should post elsewhere for more info.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
So, big first hurdle is cleared (accepted) and happy with the school. However, as it is a private school I naturally expect to pay loads more than if I were going to a public. So, in the face of around 70,000 a year... I was looking at my options.

I have a good MCAT (37) but my GPA was lower (3.4) and I've heard that Rosalind Franklin rarely gives out scholarships. Financially I have paid off my undergrad, but that's about it (maybe 2k to my name). So, from what I can tell loans are my only real option without some sort of scholarship. Correct me if I am wrong, but any loans I get would accrue interest during my time in medical school, right? Anyway, lots to deal with.

My goal is to enter into IM (although that can change) and possibly pursue oncology (but really, would I even know? I'm not even a first year haha). Either way, I know I want to do something in a more community based area, so primary care is likely.

Enter the HSPS. I know the pros and cons of the actual program. I know all about the possibility of being a GMO (less likely with me I think though, if I do IM) and all about military life (not first hand, but damn near as close as one can) so I'm OK with the idea of committing.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anyway, my question is two-fold. When would I have to commit completely to the HSPS (I know I must apply by mid March, but when is the actual sign on?) and would that be before or after any financial aid info release from Rosalind?

It honestly isn't 100% about the money (maybe 75% ;)) but if I am wrong about the 100% loan situation I am looking at, I would want to know before committing to an HSPS, so I can make an informed decision.

Members don't see this ad.