Humanitarian Service in Rad Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LightHouse123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in doing a humanitarian project either internationally or working with underprivileged people.

What kind of research/project can be successfully done to incorporate Rad Onc?

-LightHouse

Members don't see this ad.

Come on people...

Has anyone done any humanitarian work that can be remotely associated with Rad Onc?

Somebody? Por favor?

Members don't see this ad :)
My family is from one of the poorest developing countries in the world. I visited a few months ago and was excited to (among many other things) look into ways to participate in radiation oncology related medical/humanitarian work.

I very quickly realized that the most efficient and worthwhile way to utilize my skills as a radiation oncologist was to treat cancer patients in the US and save up as much money as I could to donate to those who provide very basic, completely not radiation oncology related services(vaccination, clean water, sanitation, education, etc ) in developing countries.

Maybe not the answer you were looking for, but true.

Thanks for that insight. It's appreciated.

I have known a couple Rad Oncs who have participated in missions work. However, they both chose to do missions work in the general medical setting. They had done moon lighting in an ER sporadically during residency and felt their medical skills were up to par enough to do general medicine in an out patient setting. I think this is going to be your best bet.

However, there are opportunities to serve in Radiation Oncology. I heard about them on a previous thread that I can't seem to find. They generally involve covering for an established Radiation Oncologist in the area for a couple weeks so they can get a much needed break form their hectic schedule.

Hope it helps!

www.radiatinghope.org

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I serve on the board of Radiating Hope as well as an international committee with ASTRO. International outreach is gaining traction. Later this year there is a very large delegation of radoncs, physicists & residents headed to Senegal to establish a long-term relationship. Two years ago there was a trip to Panama. We are actively fundraising to place donated linacs in underserved areas of the globe. There are countless ways anyone interested could help.