humoral vs. cell-mediated immunity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mdude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody for a brief, to the point explanation of the difference b/n humoral vs. cell-mediated immunity?
:(

Members don't see this ad.

Humoral just means the process works through antibodies.
I believe cell mediated includes macrophage and cytoxic T cell activity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Humoral Immunity - this involves the use of antibodies produced by the b cells to attack any invading foreign bodies like bacteria, viruses etc. Production of memory cells also takes place for a faster response in case of a second infection.

Cell mediated immunity- this involves the destruction of self cells damaged by mutations or infected by viruses. this form of immunity includes cells like cytotoxic t cells nk cells.

hope that helps!

Humoral cells differentiate into plasma cells that are really just antibody producing factories. These antibodies can kill invaders in many ways; by tagging it for destruction by macrophages, covering a toxic site, making them agglutinate, or attacking directly I believe(anyone confirm this one?). Cell mediated immunity involves killer T cells that have a unique antibody on their membrane that roam the blood looking for invaders so they can attach and perforate thus killing the invader.

Answer: Wikipedia

Widipedia should provide you with all the info you should need even though half the time they are half right, and for everyone else who is posting, don't equate humoral response being number one for viruses only. Where are you guys getting that information? Number one lesson in medical school, if you donn't know, look it up don't take someone's word who knows just as little as you.

No Bills
class 2011
5th grade spelling bee 2nd runner up

Wow! I just logged on to search about topics on immune!
Well to cut a long story real short--> Immune Sys is divided into Acquired and Innate. Acquired is divided further to Humoral and Cell mediated. Both are equally imp but use diff pathways.
Humoral--> Uses Antibodies, T cells
Cell Mediated--> Uses Macrophages, B cells etc

You seem to have these reversed.

Antibodies are released from B cells (plasma cells), while cytotoxic T cells are involved in the cell mediated response.

As said by a previous poster, Wikipedia is a great source for information on these topics.

Wow! I just logged on to search about topics on immune!
Well to cut a long story real short--> Immune Sys is divided into Acquired and Innate. Acquired is divided further to Humoral and Cell mediated. Both are equally imp but use diff pathways.

Wait, what? B cells are responsible for humoral immunity, I thought. Can someone please confirm?

You seem to have these reversed.

Antibodies are released from B cells (plasma cells), while cytotoxic T cells are involved in the cell mediated response.

As said by a previous poster, Wikipedia is a great source for information on these topics.

Whew, thanks! I must have posted for confirmation at the same time you made your post.

B cells are definitely humoral immunity.

T cells, however, are involved with both. T helper cells activate B cells, and therefore, that statement could be correct. However, when people say 'T cells', others tend to assume that they are talking about cytotoxic T cells, which in this case is incorrect.

I am sorry about the mix up. :( You guys are right. :)Humoral uses B cells as well as T Helper cells while Cell Mediated uses cytotoxic T cells.

Answer: Wikipedia

Widipedia should provide you with all the info you should need even though half the time they are half right, and for everyone else who is posting, don't equate humoral response being number one for viruses only. Where are you guys getting that information? Number one lesson in medical school, if you donn't know, look it up don't take someone's word who knows just as little as you.

No Bills
class 2011
5th grade spelling bee 2nd runner up

You are contradicting yourself on many levels.
First, if you don't trust the person sitting next to you, how can you trust wikipedia, when that is probably written by the person sitting across from you. However, in my opinion Wikipedia is a great source. But according to your logic you should think it isn't. But clearly you are an advocate for wikipedia and thus why I have come to post this.

Secondly, collaboration is a strong tool. The minds of many can come together and work on a problem to solve it much better than one person can. This can be seen from the posts ensuing after yours, or on a more grand scale such as dominant think tanks or tedtalks.

In a sense this forum is much like looking something up. Someone comes here to look for information where information can be received.

Finally, you say not to trust the next person who knows as little as you do. But at the same time you offer what you think is right. So you expect the OP to believe your post, but not the others?

hmmmmmmmm

so anyone want to give a breakdown on the difference between active and passive immunity? i don't really get the difference. I know that active lasts for longer period of time, but that's all i can really figure out.

active immunity requires the body to make antibodies to the exposed antigen... so you have to be exposed to the antigen (say a bacteria), then your own body makes antibodies to combat it, and later "remembers" those antibodies as memory cells

whereas passive immunity you are simply receiving "somebody else's antibodies" --> just getting their memory cells

thats the easiest way i can put it

active immunity requires the body to make antibodies to the exposed antigen... so you have to be exposed to the antigen (say a bacteria), then your own body makes antibodies to combat it, and later "remembers" those antibodies as memory cells

whereas passive immunity you are simply receiving "somebody else's antibodies" --> just getting their memory cells

thats the easiest way i can put it

Active immunity can be acquired through 2 means. Either you actually get an infxn or you get a vaccine. Either way --> body making it's OWN Abs & hence memory B cells

Passive immunity comes around in two ways as well. As a fetus you got your mom's Abs (IgGs to be specific) & as an adult you can get a gamma-globulin shot to prevent certain diseases from progressing and giving your body time to mount it's own response (Tetanus, HBV)

Just to clarify the previous poster's point, passive immunity does NOT lead to memory B cells (nor are you getting someone else's memory cells), since you are getting Abs ONLY. This is the reason why a baby needs immunisation shots starting at 6 months. By this time mom's Abs are gone & since the baby had passive immunity it has no memory B cells. So you give them active immunity (vaccination).

Last edited: