Hunter's Post-Bacc Program for spring 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymous4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just enrolled and have been admitted into Hunter's Post-Bacc program for Spring semester 2006. I just have a few questions though because they weren't too helpful there.. I remembered them saying that I can take a maximum of 24 credits in the post-bacc program? Is that enough to fulfill all of the science requirements? I'm basically taking all science courses from scratch so my question is if 24 credits is enough to fulfill all sci requirements for Dental school, am I able to take more classes if need be after I've taken a maximum of 24 credits?

Also, I heard that post-bacc students at Hunters have last call on signing up for classes. Is it too late, will there be any more classes open for this semester? I'm torn between going to Fordham and Hunters.. but I'm leaning more towards Hunters, is there an especially helpful advisor at Hunter's that deals with post-bacc students?

Members don't see this ad.

anonymous4 said:
Hi, I just enrolled and have been admitted into Hunter's Post-Bacc program for Spring semester 2006. I just have a few questions though because they weren't too helpful there.. I remembered them saying that I can take a maximum of 24 credits in the post-bacc program? Is that enough to fulfill all of the science requirements? I'm basically taking all science courses from scratch so my question is if 24 credits is enough to fulfill all sci requirements for Dental school, am I able to take more classes if need be after I've taken a maximum of 24 credits?

Also, I heard that post-bacc students at Hunters have last call on signing up for classes. Is it too late, will there be any more classes open for this semester? I'm torn between going to Fordham and Hunters.. but I'm leaning more towards Hunters, is there an especially helpful advisor at Hunter's that deals with post-bacc students?
I attended the post-bacc program at CUNY-City College. I'm not sure if Hunter works the same way, but I would imagine it is similar being within the CUNY system. I was actually able to choose my courses before the regular undergrad students. As long as I was able to pay for it, I was able to take as many courses as I needed to in order to complete my pre-med requirements, which turned out to be about 27 credits. I really enjoyed the experience there and would recommend that program to anyone who's interested. Good luck with whichever program you choose and finding out the answers to your questions!

At Hunter
bio I and II lecture/lab 9 credits (4.5 credits each) - lab is part of course
Orgo I and II lecture 6 credits (3 cr each)
Orgo I and II lab 5 cr (2.5 cr each)
general chem I and II lecture 6cr (3cr each)
gen chem lab 3cr (1.5cr each)
physics I and II lecture/lab 11cr (5.5cr each)

Maybe you misunderstood the 24 credit cap. There is a Hunter postbacc yahoo group. Do a search on yahoo groups and you should find it. I've heard it is a great resources for those in the program or interested in it.

:luck:

anonymous4 said:
I remembered them saying that I can take a maximum of 24 credits in the post-bacc program? Is that enough to fulfill all of the science requirements? I'm basically taking all science courses from scratch so my question is if 24 credits is enough to fulfill all sci requirements for Dental school, am I able to take more classes if need be after I've taken a maximum of 24 credits?

Also, I heard that post-bacc students at Hunters have last call on signing up for classes.

I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but it may be that there is a 24 credit minimum for the official post-bacc program... I'm not aware of any credit maximum, but I do know there is a certain number of credits required in order to be eligible for Hunter's linkage programs and in order to get a pre-med committee letter from them.

As far as priority for signing up for classes, as a post-baccalaureate non-degree student, you have lower priority than students who are enrolled in degree programs and/or need those courses to fulfill their majors. I never had a problem getting into courses, per se, but you might have a little trouble getting the exact section times you want for labs etc. One way to get around this, I've heard, is to actually enroll as if you are pursuing a 2nd bachelors degree. That way you can declare a major and get higher priority for classes... and I think it also results in lower tuition. I would check before you try to do this though... I'm not sure if that would affect your status with the post-bacc office.