hybridization question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what is the hybridization of AlCl3, N3-, and CS2?

The correct answer is sp3, sp, and sp2 respectivly.

But I can seem to figure out why.

AlCl3 has 3 bonds, so shouldn't it be sp2? and how about for the latter two molecules? Can any expert explain? thanks!
 
Smooth Operater said:
what is the hybridization of AlCl3, N3-, and CS2?

The correct answer is sp3, sp, and sp2 respectivly.

But I can seem to figure out why.

AlCl3 has 3 bonds, so shouldn't it be sp2? and how about for the latter two molecules? Can any expert explain? thanks!

AlCL3 has 3 6 valence electrons, 2 of each in one SP3 orbital, but it also has a fourth SP3 orbital that is empty. It's capable of bonding another pair of electrons as it does as a lewis acid.

N3- (N=N=N)- , just deduce 16 electrons and figure out how to make it have a -1 charge overall. (-1, +1, -1 on each respective nitrogen).

CS2 is similar to N3 (S=C=S) without any charges. Not sure why they think this is SP2 because it is NOT SP2. It's clearly a linear molecule.
 
Smooth Operater said:
what is the hybridization of AlCl3, N3-, and CS2?

The correct answer is sp3, sp, and sp2 respectivly.

But I can seem to figure out why.

AlCl3 has 3 bonds, so shouldn't it be sp2? and how about for the latter two molecules? Can any expert explain? thanks!


I found N3- as an example from my first year chem notes, here is what it said:
N3- has 16 valence electrons...if you draw the lewis dot diagram, you will find that it can form two different things thus forming a resonance structure in realy life (you would only see double bonds...ie the average of the other two)
All of these structures are linear (thus sp)...

N=N=N (average)
or N-N=-N
or N=-N-N

where an equal sign is a double bond and an equal sign beside a minus sign is a negative...

I really don't know if this helps or not...

I also looked up carbon disulfide on wikipedia and it looks linear...and so im thinking it should be sp...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_disulfide
so now im really confused too... 😕

I also don't understand the first one with Al...

Please someone correct me if wrong and explain the rest...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cryptozoologist said:
AlCL3 has 3 6 valence electrons, 2 of each in one SP3 orbital, but it also has a fourth SP3 orbital that is empty. It's capable of bonding another pair of electrons as it does as a lewis acid.

N3- (N=N=N)- , just deduce 16 electrons and figure out how to make it have a -1 charge overall. (-1, +1, -1 on each respective nitrogen).

CS2 is similar to N3 (S=C=S) without any charges. Not sure why they think this is SP2 because it is NOT SP2. It's clearly a linear molecule.

hello cyto.

I don't understand how did you get that AlCl3 having 3 6 valence electron? I thought Al has 3 valence electron and each of Cl has 7 valence electrons. Given that information, I am able to draw a trigonal planar molecular without any lone pair on the Al. This makes AlCl3 sp3 hybridized.
 
yes i agree that it is sp2. it is ion 3Cl- + Al3+ --> happy molecule, not lone pair. It is a lewis ACID, which means it ACCEPTS electrons. If it had a lone pair, then it would not want any more electrons, and would not be an acid 🙄