hybridization question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the hybridization of AlCl3, N3-, and CS2?

The correct answer is sp3, sp, and sp2 respectivly.

But I can seem to figure out why.

AlCl3 has 3 bonds, so shouldn't it be sp2? and how about for the latter two molecules? Can any expert explain? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Smooth Operater said:

AlCl3 has 3 bonds, so shouldn't it be sp2? and how about for the latter two molecules? Can any expert explain? thanks!

AlCL3 has 3 6 valence electrons, 2 of each in one SP3 orbital, but it also has a fourth SP3 orbital that is empty. It's capable of bonding another pair of electrons as it does as a lewis acid.

N3- (N=N=N)- , just deduce 16 electrons and figure out how to make it have a -1 charge overall. (-1, +1, -1 on each respective nitrogen).

CS2 is similar to N3 (S=C=S) without any charges. Not sure why they think this is SP2 because it is NOT SP2. It's clearly a linear molecule.

Smooth Operater said:

I found N3- as an example from my first year chem notes, here is what it said:
N3- has 16 valence electrons...if you draw the lewis dot diagram, you will find that it can form two different things thus forming a resonance structure in realy life (you would only see double bonds...ie the average of the other two)
All of these structures are linear (thus sp)...

N=N=N (average)
or N-N=-N
or N=-N-N

where an equal sign is a double bond and an equal sign beside a minus sign is a negative...

I really don't know if this helps or not...

I also looked up carbon disulfide on wikipedia and it looks linear...and so im thinking it should be sp...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_disulfide
so now im really confused too... :confused:

I also don't understand the first one with Al...

Please someone correct me if wrong and explain the rest...

Members don't see this ad :)
cryptozoologist said:
AlCL3 has 3 6 valence electrons, 2 of each in one SP3 orbital, but it also has a fourth SP3 orbital that is empty. It's capable of bonding another pair of electrons as it does as a lewis acid.

N3- (N=N=N)- , just deduce 16 electrons and figure out how to make it have a -1 charge overall. (-1, +1, -1 on each respective nitrogen).

CS2 is similar to N3 (S=C=S) without any charges. Not sure why they think this is SP2 because it is NOT SP2. It's clearly a linear molecule.

hello cyto.

I don't understand how did you get that AlCl3 having 3 6 valence electron? I thought Al has 3 valence electron and each of Cl has 7 valence electrons. Given that information, I am able to draw a trigonal planar molecular without any lone pair on the Al. This makes AlCl3 sp3 hybridized.

yes i agree that it is sp2. it is ion 3Cl- + Al3+ --> happy molecule, not lone pair. It is a lewis ACID, which means it ACCEPTS electrons. If it had a lone pair, then it would not want any more electrons, and would not be an acid :rolleyes: