Hydroxyethyl starches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

militarymd

SDN Angel
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all you believers in using the starches, take a look at the latest issue of NEJM....

And also note the volume to volume comparison as compared to LR...like 1 to 1.5

Members don't see this ad.

It makes a nice syrup on pancakes, though. And, none of the calories too.

-copro

Members don't see this ad :)
It was interesting the ratio of 1:1.32. Although morbidity and mortality never reached significance even at 90 days, the increased incidence of renal failure is concering. Does this apply to a one time 500ml bolus in the OR? I dont know since this study continuously used HES over the course of the admission.

Can i buy not using HES as the sole replacement fluid in the ICU, sure, consider the SAFE trial. The use in the OR not convinced either way. Consider the Bradstrup article (Annals of Surgery • Volume 238, Number 5, November 2003 ) where HES was used for a volume restrictive strategy in belly cases showing better outcomes.
But i will agree that the bang for the buck is not all its cut out to be. I rarely grab for it myself for fluid replacement in the OR and never in the ICU.

The only arguement that I'm getting from everyone IN favor of using colloids is that you get more bang for your buck, but it is clearly not the case....so why use it?

As for the "one time use"....hard to say....a lot of what we talk about for the OR is stuff that has been "bastardized" from these ICU studies to begin with, so I say why use anything that can be associated with increased badness.

the renal failure issue has been documented in past studies.

As for etomidate.....I suspect that it has properties that are detrimental to the patients, but I can't support it with grade a data.

For all you believers in using the starches, take a look at the latest issue of NEJM....

And also note the volume to volume comparison as compared to LR...like 1 to 1.5
MMD,
You should know the answer to this:
Isn't Hespan commonly used for volume replacement in the battle field?
I recall reading a study on the triage protocol for injured soldiers that used Hespan boluses since it's more practical to transport than the equivalent volume of cristaloids.

MMD,
I recall reading a study on the triage protocol for injured soldiers that used Hespan boluses since it's more practical to transport than the equivalent volume of cristaloids.

When I was in the gulf, the guys I saw carried albumin.

the other thing, the people who comes up with the protocols for the grunts are usually nimrods.

article on starches in nejm?

Military medicine at the pointy tip of the spear is NOT an organzied well oiled machine that the propaganda would lead you to believe.

That article was written by ONE medical officer..and does not necessarily reflected what happens across the board.

As I said, when I was there, I saw albumin.

Military medicine is run by nimrods.

Not sure when they stopped using albumin but from 02-05 we had hespan and crystaloids available. The TCCC guidelines were adopted around 2003 but there was really no consistancy from unit to unit.

MMD,

When I did my GMO time with the Marines, we were directed to adhere to the current Tactical Combat Casualty Care guidelines (most of which are pretty reasonable). So my Corpsmen carried Hespan or Hextend, in addition to LR.

The two main arguments for using hetastarch were increased intravascular volume per pound of weight carried, and increased time in the intravascular space given the unpredictability and potential delays in evacuation times. As such, the justification for using hetastarch was always a logistic argument rather than a medical one, and even the logistic argument mostly fails these days. In Iraq, nobody walks and carries all their supplies in a pack - they're always within sprinting distance of a vehicle, which has extra supplies. Air evac times are typically under 45 minutes from first call to delivery at the OR, though this can be a lot longer in the mountains of Afghanistan.

I did hear of cases where heat stroke casualties were tanked up with Hespan instead of crystalloid, because the Corpsman in the field just thought Hespan was magical half-as-heavy-to-carry LR. I was less than enthusiastic about putting 1L of Hespan in every pack, not to mention the Combat Lifesavers' packs[1] but that was the order from up on high.

[1] A Marine with an extra week of first aid training

When I did my GMO time with the Marines, we were directed to adhere to the current Tactical Combat Casualty Care guidelines (most of which are pretty reasonable). So my Corpsmen carried Hespan or Hextend, in addition to LR.

The two main arguments for using hetastarch were increased intravascular volume per pound of weight carried, and increased time in the intravascular space given the unpredictability and potential delays in evacuation times. As such, the justification for using hetastarch was always a logistic argument rather than a medical one, and even the logistic argument mostly fails these days. In Iraq, nobody walks and carries all their supplies in a pack - they're always within sprinting distance of a vehicle, which has extra supplies. Air evac times are typically under 45 minutes from first call to delivery at the OR, though this can be a lot longer in the mountains of Afghanistan.

I did hear of cases where heat stroke casualties were tanked up with Hespan instead of crystalloid, because the Corpsman in the field just thought Hespan was magical half-as-heavy-to-carry LR. I was less than enthusiastic about putting 1L of Hespan in every pack, not to mention the Combat Lifesavers' packs[1] but that was the order from up on high.

[1] A Marine with an extra week of first aid training

and as can be seen in this and other studies, the "extra" bang for your buck is really not that "extra".