"Hygienist Practitioners"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2thclnr said:
I became a hygienist because I love to do it. The vast majority of RDHs in CA might have clouded your vision. I have been nothing but nice on this thread. I have supported without coming off as a horse's behind, a skill in which some of you are lacking in. Do you feel superior due to your education? Because I feel superior that I served in the military, am raising 2 children and a husband, went to school full time and finally became a hygienist. I am working on my BA while working full time and still raising that family. I have full intentions on becoming a dentist and possible rejoining the military again. Do you want to talk about how hard school is to me now? Sorry I guess I should not have entered the military during 1st Gulf war to defend sniveling little kids who just have to make it through school. Happy Vets Day to me!
And go ahead make fun of my spelling since you guys get a kick out of that also.
I feel so much better now! :love:

Nothing but respect from me to you. Supporting a family and this country.

Members don't see this ad.

drhobie7 said:
I believe the plural of gracey is graceys (not gracey's. that would be the possessive). :thumbup:

p.s. Why would you choose a 3 year hygiene school if you were accepted into a 4 year dental school? Sounds crazy to me.

I chose hygiene because I love to teach, I like to socialize with people, and I want to make a difference for the clients that I see.
There is so much more to hygiene than cleaning teeth, I get to connect with my clients and help them with thier own health. When I treat a cl III or IV client and explain to them whats going on in their mouth and the associated illness that could arise from poor oral hygiene self care, I feel I am making a difference. When that client comes back to see me and has greatly improved in their own self care it makes me proud to do what I do. To be able to get one person flossing is quite a challenge and there is a real challenge to getting people to take charge of thier own body.
It is very rewarding to know that I am making a difference one client at a time.
I'm not in this discussion to determine who's better than who, all I wanted to say here is that if the scope of hygiene extends to having private clinics I don't know a single hygienist who would even want to be able to drill preps, or do extractions, endo, etc... Instead it would be a place for people to come and take charge of their own health, keep in mind that hygienist is trained to read x rays, and find caries, so why wouldn't it we keep doing that and refer clients to a dentist when they need dental care?
Just imagine the possibilities for you guys...no hygienist to pay, you would only need an office with one or two ops (less rent) and you wouldn't be waisting time going into mouths that are perfectly healthy and dont need your treatment.
It's just something to think about, there is no hygienist out there that wants to do the job of a dentist (unless they go to dental school). You guys don't need to be so threatened that we are going to take away your jobs, or even harm clients. Any joe on the street can pick up a Compendium of pharmaceutical specialties and learn about drug interactions/contraindications to determine if a client is able to recieve treatment, or anyone can pick up the phone and talk with that clients GP.
The bottom line here is that hygiene practitioners will be a reality, not right now but within 15 years. Hygienist are medical professionals weather you agree or not, we have medical training (not as much as a DDS) but enough to competently be able to provide excellent service and knowledge to our clientele.
It is also important to keep in mind that the field of dentistry is constnly changing, and so should our attitudes and aproach to clent care, we didn't enter this profession to argue over who is more intelligent or who provides better care to our clients. We are comparing apples to oranges, dentists do one thing while hyginists do other things, and we are all very good at what we do. I am quite comfortable in 6mm pockets with my instruments, but I am not comfortable using my high speed to finish a composite restoration...and im sure it works the same in terms of what you guys learn at school. I have spent three years mastering my instrumentation and root anatomy to be able to fell comfortable with my skills, I only had one course for restorative and I have appreciation for it but I am not going to say that I am an expert in it. The same goes for dental school, you guys spend many years perfecting your techniques, but you only spend one or two semesters learning about instrumentation and hygiene.
If I had the choice to have my teeth cleaned by a hygienist or a dentist I would choose the hygienist because I know the that person is more competent at doing that treatment, but if I needed a filling I would see a dentist and in no way let a hygienist do it.
The bottom line here is that money isn't the end all be all for everyone, I know that a dentist can make a s**t load of money, but you also have alot of expenses (paying off school, opening a practice, paying staff ETC..) so in the long run who is better off?
the answer is: IT DOESN"T MATTER! as long as you enjoy what you do, and you are good at it!

Well, I think the replies on this thread pretty much support my original position that some folks are getting themselves worked up too much regarding this issue about RDH organizations pushing for more autonomy. This turf battle stuff goes on all the time in the political arena as exemplified by the AFL-CIO vs Chamber of Commerce. In that arena each side always demands everything and strives to give up nothing because that is how rational compromises are usually reached in our great republic. So yeah, support the political arms of the dental or hygienist organizations depending on your persausion, but don't get in the mode of thinking that the opposite side is the devil incarnate and that the world will come to an end just because it promotes a point of view that differs from yours.

In the real world, away from the political hype, teams accomplish their best work when each member feels that he or she is a valued and needed component as Dr Jeff and others have so eloquently stated.

"R-E-S-P-E-C-T...find out what it means to me"

Members don't see this ad :)
" I have spent three years mastering my instrumentation and root anatomy to be able to fell comfortable with my skills, I only had one course for restorative and I have appreciation for it but I am not going to say that I am an expert in it. The same goes for dental school, you guys spend many years perfecting your techniques, but you only spend one or two semesters learning about instrumentation and hygiene."

^^^^^you really have no idea about a dental curriculum in the USA to say we have only a semester or 2 with perio treatment is fairly myopic....go and pull a dental curriculum and clinic requirements before you say that...

I have no idea about the hygiene curriculum, so I will not make any assumptions about your training...

Hygienists....pfft. :rolleyes: At least get a bachelors degree first, please. :laugh:

Slash said:
Hygienists....pfft. :rolleyes: At least get a bachelors degree first, please. :laugh:

Why? You obviously are narrowed in your thinking that those with degrees higher than associates are the only ones worth anything. Is this the feeling I am getting from you?

I agree with many of nonmal's points.
However it doesn't seem like you've actually looked at a dental school curriculum regarding perio and hygiene instruction and practice. secondly, hygienists can't diagnose xrays, at least not in the states i'm aware of. thirdly, NO...any joe cannot pick up a book and understand pharmacology. i can't believe you said that!!!

and ppl, please be civilized. that get a bachelors degree comment is ridiculous.

To nonmal, and other hygienists: again I, and most dentists and dental students respect and value you as part of our team, but remember what the topic of the post is:

the ADHA lobbying for hygienists to provide irreversible, unsupervised diagnostic, restorative and therapeutic procedures. This is dangerous to the public and is not in the scope of hygiene.

So my question is: Why don't my like-minded hygienists speak up and tell the ADHA that they don't speak for them????? i'd like to hear from y'all in this regard.
Certainly if the ADA was pushing for dentists to perform procedures that we are not trained for, I would strongly object, with the patients safety in mind. it is our role as health care providers to make sure that our associations speak our opinions.

lastly, dr. jeff i read your earlier post and thanks for pointing me towards your stance on the ADHA and this issue.

adamlc18 said:
I also regularly browse the forums at DT and since someone who will remain nameless wanted everyone to go over and look at DT, I thought I would provide the link to a thread about this thread here on SDN:

http://www.dentaltown.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=58589&sessionID={6B649CB5-7EE0-4AC5-A26C-0E84BA90E51B}

I thought it was funny that she decided to complain about us over there!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Go laugh, you little whippersnapper (there, you happy, I've gone and dated myself). Do you think your rude and disrespectful remarks should go without attention and note? No need to go rooting deeply or read between the lines at the overt condescension in SOME of your posts.

Don't you know that if you let a man talk long enough he will give you the measure of himself? Your measure has been taken by the mature members of this forum, the experienced members, the ones who have been in the trenches long before you went to the dance in your dad and came home in your mother.

I re-read my original post to see what so inflamed your sorry asses and stand by my words. Respect is earned and you have yet to manage one employee , let alone 10 or 12. When I am not a hygienist I am a business owner, having run a small family restaurant for 40 years with a total of 90 long term employees since 1964. I know both sides of the coin. I think this is what makes me a good, not the best, but a good hygienist. I see it from the owners and the employees standpoint.

I have forgotten more than you have yet to learn about practice management.

I may have experienced formal academia in the Jurassic period, but does the word Continuing Ed mean anything to you? You think that diploma that makes you safe to work on the public is a forever thing?
Your shoot from the hip disrespect did not factor in the 100's of cassettes, videos, dental periodicals, Howard Farran's 30 DAYS TO A DENTAL MBA, Rick Kushner's LEAN N' MEAN DENTISTRY , LEAN N'MEAN HYGIENE, 100's of hours of seminars and meetings, and most importantly the 1000's , yes 1000's of patients I have to my credit. Academia is where it STARTS and if you ever read any of my posts on DT you know that I sign myself as practicing lifelong apprenticeship in the art and science of dentistry. LIFELONG. Yeah, 40 years of it.

You won't be able to call yourselves real practicing professionals until you have successfully managed the puking tot, the snarling and surly teenager, the frail retiree, the over involved mom, the underinvolved parent who gets pissed when you call her to report your findings on the kid she pushed out the car, the deadbeat, the kid who comes in high on cocaine, the wheelchair patient from the nursing home who comes in at 2 PM with breakfast still caked in her mouth, the patient on nitrous who starts to scream that the spiders are getting her, the child on nitrous who would not come back from her gas induced euphoria despite 30 minutes of straight oxygen, the patient who faints dead away in your chair, the panic stricken everyman, the "never been to a dentist in 30 years" patient, the "just lost her spouse and is so fragile"patient. It goes on and on and on. DIdactic, shmidactic. Real world.

THe funny part of all this is I never disagreed with a single thing you were so heated up about. The dumbing down of ANY training means a dilution of care for the patient. Yet some would have hygienists training in non dental school formats, off campus, closed circuit tv. limited patient interaction, limited instructor interaction. It might work, but is it in the best interest of the patient?

I don't want your job, I don't want to be an independent practicioner. I love the already maximum amount of autonomy I receive in the offices I work. No one looking over my shoulder, just plain-ass trust that I can do what I've been trained to do and with a great degree of experience, thank you.

So, get over yourselves. Coming down off your high horses will be a bruising ride once you are challenged with keeping 15 balls in the air patient and staff-wise. You have a great opportunity to be the leaders of your life and practice. Why do you find it so bitter a pill to hear things from professionals who have already done what you are hoping to achieve? I know some folks don't take advice and just have to piss on the electric fence themselves, but save yourself some headaches by being open to the fact that you are not the first dentists to matriculate and that many have gone before you and with great success.

ANd yes I am glad to mention dentaltown and hygienetown. Whoever said this does not offer credibility, what turnip truck did you fall off of? Dentaltown is the brainchild of one of the brightest men I have ever had the pleasure to know and have learned more about dentistry in the five years I have been a member there then all the meetings I have attended. Take part, you will never have to practice alone again. I believe in these sites. Where else do you get the collective heartbeat of 70,000 practicing dental professionals?

And CBUPNORTH. I have had the privilege of being in side by side ops with this dynamo and you would be a lucky DDS to have such energy, knowledge, heart, skills, and ambition in your hygiene dept. She can tell it like it is and it is hard to hear sometimes, but mentored me in things I needed to know and was willing to shut up and listen, not get insulting and degrading to her.

Last night watched a pbs special on BLACK HOLES and when listening that the universe is 10 BILLION years old and that it takes 13 trillion light years to get from one end of the KNOWN universe to the other I wondered why we get so hung up on ourselves when in the grand scheme of things we are not a pinhole sized blip on the radar. Relax. It will all be over before you know it and your only measuring stick will be how you treated other people and if you left shipwrecks in your wake or healed when you could.

I will speak up to the ADHA, I am only one voice but I hear that I am really loud. :) The only thing I want them to concentrate on is not allowing assistants to clean teeth.
Now, with that said, who will tell the ADA that they do not want assistants to clean teeth? :confused:
That is my only issue. My current scope of duties as a hygienist is perfectly fine. When I want to do more I will go to dental school. But I am still working on my B.S. degree. :love:

I really think it's time for a hygiene forum..... :sleep:

2thclnr said:
The only thing I want them to concentrate on is not allowing assistants to clean teeth.

Why you getting all hot under the collar about dental assistants infringing upon your job turf?? :smuggrin:

nonmaleficence said:
Instead it would be a place for people to come and take charge of their own health, keep in mind that hygienist is trained to read x rays, and find caries, so why wouldn't it we keep doing that and refer clients to a dentist when they need dental care?

With all due respect, diagnosing caries is a whole lot more complicated than identifying a dark spot on the radiograph. I am a third year dental student and I don't feel confident in my diagnostic skills at all. Of course, I can identify huge lesions on the radiograph or intraorally, but I frequently miss smaller caries on my patients. Just go to DentalTown and look at the number of threads debating "Is this caries or not?" These are dentists who have spent 80% of their careers focused on a single disease. And they still can't come to an agreement. Until you have had the experience of looking at hundreds and thousands of radiographs and opening up the tooth to see first hand what that radiograph is telling you - you can't effectively diagnosis caries. You can be a useful adjunct to the dentist, but you should not be the clinician solely responsible for diagnosis and referral. Sorry.

And caries is not the only problem for which patients need to be referred to a dentist. Are you familiar enough with theories of occlusion to identify the need for occlusal therapy? Do you know how to adequately identify the need for endodontics beyond "the patient has a toothache"? When is a nightguard indicated? A splint? When is there a relationship between headache and dental problems and when do they have nothing to do with each other? Can you identify the potential significance of missing teeth for each individual patient -- not every tooth needs to be replaced. This list and the corresponding answers could go on for years --- that is why dental school takes so darn long. If you can not expand this list by several more pages and answer each and everyone of the questions in detail, you are not qualified to make adequate referrals for your patients.

nonmaleficence said:
Just imagine the possibilities for you guys...no hygienist to pay, you would only need an office with one or two ops (less rent) and you wouldn't be waisting time going into mouths that are perfectly healthy and dont need your treatment.

I realize this. I think independent hygiene and hygiene practitioners could potentially be a HUGE financial boon to the dentist who was willing to accept and implement those changes. But as a professional, I care more about my patients than money.

2thclnr said:
I will speak up to the ADHA, I am only one voice but I hear that I am really loud. :) The only thing I want them to concentrate on is not allowing assistants to clean teeth.
Now, with that said, who will tell the ADA that they do not want assistants to clean teeth? :confused:
That is my only issue. My current scope of duties as a hygienist is perfectly fine. When I want to do more I will go to dental school. But I am still working on my B.S. degree. :love:

You can count on me to call upon my representative at the ADA and strongly let them know that assistans should not be able to clean teeth. They are not trained to do this, and it is not in the patients best interests. Very simple. Kinda like hygienists performing restorative.

Shazammer, while I agree with several of your points (see old posts), you are coming across as a divider now. Please relax and enjoy your weekend. I think i'm done with this thread. wayyyy tooo personal

Members don't see this ad :)
Slash said:
Why you getting all hot under the collar about dental assistants infringing upon your job turf?? :smuggrin:
Slash if ya haven't noticed I have been totally supportive of dentists doing dentist's jobs and hygiene doing hygiene. I am not hot under the collar at all on the subject. Just pointing out the fact that in Kansas state assistants are cleaning teeth and in Missouri it is being contemplated.

12YearOldKid said:
With all due respect, diagnosing caries is a whole lot more complicated than identifying a dark spot on the radiograph. I am a third year dental student and I don't feel confident in my diagnostic skills at all. Of course, I can identify huge lesions on the radiograph or intraorally, but I frequently miss smaller caries on my patients. Just go to DentalTown and look at the number of threads debating "Is this caries or not?" These are dentists who have spent 80% of their careers focused on a single disease. And they still can't come to an agreement. Until you have had the experience of looking at hundreds and thousands of radiographs and opening up the tooth to see first hand what that radiograph is telling you - you can't effectively diagnosis caries. You can be a useful adjunct to the dentist, but you should not be the clinician solely responsible for diagnosis and referral. Sorry.

And caries is not the only problem for which patients need to be referred to a dentist. Are you familiar enough with theories of occlusion to identify the need for occlusal therapy? Do you know how to adequately identify the need for endodontics beyond "the patient has a toothache"? When is a nightguard indicated? A splint? When is there a relationship between headache and dental problems and when do they have nothing to do with each other? Can you identify the potential significance of missing teeth for each individual patient -- not every tooth needs to be replaced. This list and the corresponding answers could go on for years --- that is why dental school takes so darn long. If you can not expand this list by several more pages and answer each and everyone of the questions in detail, you are not qualified to make adequate referrals for your patients.

I realize this. I think independent hygiene and hygiene practitioners could potentially be a HUGE financial boon to the dentist who was willing to accept and implement those changes. But as a professional, I care more about my patients than money.

A man after my own heart. My favorite offices are the ones that DO NOT set the new patient up with the hygienist first. I have sat in the next op as my boss did the new patient exam and damn he was good. Took him an hour and the patients ALWAYS remarked that they had never had such a thorough exam before. Guys, if you want to knock their socks off, make that initial exam a real eye opener for them, not the perfunctory, Hi I'm DR. XYZ here to corroborate what my hygienist has found. No way I want to be responsible for that itsy bitsy spot of cancer, the occlusion, tmj, operative, definitive xray analysis ( I can spot the big holes, too), may I say occlusion again, taking impressions ,pouring up the models,fractured teeth, leaking sealants, medical workup, yada yada.

I trust my boss to have the DX down on paper by the time I see the patient and any hygienist who thinks she can do ALL this is delusional. I have been in an office where the DH told me she always takes the new patients because she didn't trust the doc. I ran out of that office. No place for me.
Utmost respect for the bosses who have earned it and I try very hard to not get into employment situations where I can't say that.

One of the favorite things I like to say to patients when I am temping is to lean in and tell them I've temped in 60 offices and that I think they are in one of the best I have ever seen. Their faces light up totally. They have NO way of knowing if he is good or bad and to have the stranger who is cleaning their teeth, but who has a bunch of experience and no agenda, pat them on the back for picking and staying with the best goes a long way with inhouse marketing.

Done with the pissing contest here. I already have my dental philosophy in place though it is an ever ebbing and flowing concept.
Night y'all

Its simple economics and greed. If hygenists begin opening up their own offices --> general dentists lose money.

Why else would dentists be losing sleep over this issue?
I would love to believe its because dentists are die-hard public servants, but when I see threads like, "How the Hell do you produce $1.5 million a Year?"
I'm alittle skeptical.

The bottom-line people are missing is the fact that an inferior education causes inferior care. You can not allow people who are not trained to make differential diagnoses to treat people in a private setting without a doctor around. The ADA has defeated nearly all stances on this issue and the fact that the oral surgeons have jumped on board only solidifies our stance. The ADA, the most powerful "medical" organization in the US is very quick to act and has the tight reigns on things.

Will an advanced hygiene practitioner have a role in some form in the future? Perhaps but limited.

Overall, imagine this: A hygienist tries to open a private practice. Wants to do some "dentistry". They will need an op with high-speed drills, they will need all the dental supplies; including all the proper sterilization equipment. They'll need an assistant, they'll need radiograph machine(s), they'll need nearly everything a dentist would need. The only thing is they aren't dentists and can not do bread-n-butter procedures that could make having all this inventory cost-effective. Only doing some simple fillings can't bring in enough. You have to be into crowns and bridges----something no hygienist will ever do nor could ever do----even if they make a super-duper hygienist. :D Their overhead would smother them in weeks and a SBA or any lender would laugh at the idea of this "almost" dentist and their abilities to survive financially. Their malpractice insurance and the fact they will be held to the same standards of a dentist if they wish to do irreversible procedures in the court of law------will cause most insurance providers to cringe and sue happy patient to smile. A master's degree in court against expert witnesses' with a doctorate degree doesn't bode well for the inferior education. The places these "people" would find themselves trying to establish would be areas were experimenting with ones teeth may not be a bad thing. The need in the underserved population is huge. Their dental needs are SO involved and complex. A hygienist trying to help out in those areas will be well over their heads I have treated underserved poplulations and it is the most challenging dentistry I've done. The place an advanced hygienist could do well (hypothetically) would be in a upper-class area, where there is little dental needs except routine cleanings and one or two fillings. Problem is that that society is too educated and wouldn't risk their irreversible procedures to someone other than a dentist. At least not in our lifetimes----the first 30 yrs of trying to establish credibility as an "almost" dentist with no DDS/DMD degree will be a huge uphill battle, one I wouldn't want to be on the other side of ------but one I will enjoy making sure has an extremely difficult time establishing themselves. :) Non-dentists have no right to do irreversible, surgical procedures.

Don't get your panties in a bunch over this non-sense. You must think of the totality of the situation and governing laws (insurance, overhead, lawsuits, etc...) and you'll see how this is rather humorous.

Dr. B

Opps :D, double-post

shazammer said:
Go laugh, you little whippersnapper (there, you happy, I've gone and dated myself). Do you think your rude and disrespectful remarks should go without attention and note? No need to go rooting deeply or read between the lines at the overt condescension in SOME of your posts.

Don't you know that if you let a man talk long enough he will give you the measure of himself? Your measure has been taken by the mature members of this forum, the experienced members, the ones who have been in the trenches long before you went to the dance in your dad and came home in your mother.

I re-read my original post to see what so inflamed your sorry asses and stand by my words. Respect is earned and you have yet to manage one employee , let alone 10 or 12. When I am not a hygienist I am a business owner, having run a small family restaurant for 40 years with a total of 90 long term employees since 1964. I know both sides of the coin. I think this is what makes me a good, not the best, but a good hygienist. I see it from the owners and the employees standpoint.

I may have experienced formal academia in the Jurassic period, but does the word Continuing Ed mean anything to you? You think that diploma that makes you safe to work on the public is a forever thing?
Your shoot from the hip disrespect did not factor in the 100's of cassettes, videos, dental periodicals, Howard Farran's 30 DAYS TO A DENTAL MBA, Rick Kushner's LEAN N' MEAN DENTISTRY , LEAN N'MEAN HYGIENE, 100's of hours of seminars and meetings, and most importantly the 1000's , yes 1000's of patients I have to my credit. Academia is where it STARTS and if you ever read any of my posts on DT you know that I sign myself as practicing lifelong apprenticeship in the art and science of dentistry. LIFELONG. Yeah, 40 years of it.

You won't be able to call yourselves real practicing professionals until you have successfully managed the puking tot, the snarling and surly teenager, the frail retiree, the over involved mom, the underinvolved parent who gets pissed when you call her to report your findings on the kid she pushed out the car, the deadbeat, the kid who comes in high on cocaine, the wheelchair patient from the nursing home who comes in at 2 PM with breakfast still caked in her mouth, the patient on nitrous who starts to scream that the spiders are getting her, the child on nitrous who would not come back from her gas induced euphoria despite 30 minutes of straight oxygen, the patient who faints dead away in your chair, the panic stricken everyman, the "never been to a dentist in 30 years" patient, the "just lost her spouse and is so fragile"patient. It goes on and on and on. DIdactic, shmidactic. Real world.

THe funny part of all this is I never disagreed with a single thing you were so heated up about. The dumbing down of ANY training means a dilution of care for the patient. Yet some would have hygienists training in non dental school formats, off campus, closed circuit tv. limited patient interaction, limited instructor interaction. It might work, but is it in the best interest of the patient?

I don't want your job, I don't want to be an independent practicioner. I love the already maximum amount of autonomy I receive in the offices I work. No one looking over my shoulder, just plain-ass trust that I can do what I've been trained to do and with a great degree of experience, thank you.

So, get over yourselves. Coming down off your high horses will be a bruising ride once you are challenged with keeping 15 balls in the air patient and staff-wise. You have a great opportunity to be the leaders of your life and practice. Why do you find it so bitter a pill to hear things from professionals who have already done what you are hoping to achieve? I know some folks don't take advice and just have to piss on the electric fence themselves, but save yourself some headaches by being open to the fact that you are not the first dentists to matriculate and that many have gone before you and with great success.

ANd yes I am glad to mention dentaltown and hygienetown. Whoever said this does not offer credibility, what turnip truck did you fall off of? Dentaltown is the brainchild of one of the brightest men I have ever had the pleasure to know and have learned more about dentistry in the five years I have been a member there then all the meetings I have attended. Take part, you will never have to practice alone again. I believe in these sites. Where else do you get the collective heartbeat of 70,000 practicing dental professionals?

And CBUPNORTH. I have had the privilege of being in side by side ops with this dynamo and you would be a lucky DDS to have such energy, knowledge, heart, skills, and ambition in your hygiene dept. She can tell it like it is and it is hard to hear sometimes, but mentored me in things I needed to know and was willing to shut up and listen, not get insulting and degrading to her.

Last night watched a pbs special on BLACK HOLES and when listening that the universe is 10 BILLION years old and that it takes 13 trillion light years to get from one end of the KNOWN universe to the other I wondered why we get so hung up on ourselves when in the grand scheme of things we are not a pinhole sized blip on the radar. Relax. It will all be over before you know it and your only measuring stick will be how you treated other people and if you left shipwrecks in your wake or healed when you could.
Feeling a little inferior there?

shazammer said:

old lady, you need to take and chill pill. Go and do something usefull for your husband, instead of giving us lectures no one cares about.

I hope someone reads this. Get maximum $, job satifaction, & loyalty from the RDH that you employ from an RDH!! Sounds like a commercial but I am sincere. I learned the most about being a excellent hygienist and good employee the last 5 of 15 yrs. and I have really good advice for you. My dr pays me alot of money to stand around waiting for him to do exams, and many fuctions another could do as well. I was working in a BUSY practice that gave good but conservative care. A brand spankin' new dds bought the practice, increased production by 2/3 and sold it again to a married couple both dds within 1 1/2 year. Believe me, the drama involved in all this could keep you entertained for an hour. First, 1-2 hygienist to 1 Dr is a big fat waste of resources. One good full time rdh can easily keep 2 drs busy. Why?Assisted hygiene is the way to go. Hygienist is scheduled every 1/2 hour working out of 2 chairs, she is busy doing HYGIENE while the assistant is recording perio, cleaning rooms, x-rays, updating med hx ect... The use of ultrasonics has made perio scaling so much more efficient (and easier). Afraid of down time with cancellations? Don't be, any one that has been practicing awhile knows how much always needs done, loose ends to wrap us, sterilization get behind. Result: A very focused, valued, content hygienist that with be worth alot to you. A happier dr getting a better return on an invesment.No one will be rushed in or out of appt because they are scheduled a full hour chairtime. If 2 drs are in, share exams only 1 an hour. I promise this will work. Of course adjust for perio scaling ect.. What brought this subject up was the whining about independant practice, money grubbing hygienists blah, blah. I agree hygiene is a support and fuctions well in thd role of supervision, but I can't help but wonder if they should be working by Rx meaning, after the dentist has treatment planned, they should be able give services without the physical presence. It is not as easy as it sound though. I have volunteered at a dental clinec 100% free (no medicaid billing)
We have 1 chair, the dentist sees pts on a different day and is not there when I am. (in OHIO) Big problem, I can only do prophys, most have moderate to severe perio, and few actually benifit from hygiene services. Anyway, I loved working with the new drs the best. A good perio program is essential too.

Sorry, I didn't read this entire thread because it's so long, but has anybody thought about the comparison between a dentist/hygienist and an ophtamologist/optometrist? Are optometrists allowed to have their own practice without an ophtamologist? If so, maybe the law will end up allowing hygienists to do the same thing. (or are they already allowed to? not sure..)
Just trying to see if there is a precedent here...

Not much of a comparison. I hesitate to say this because some people are easily offended by the truth, but a closer analogy would be an optometrist/optom. technician. Hygiene is a 2 year associate's program. It is a technical degree; NOT a professional/doctoral degree.

Optometrists are doctors trained to recognize eye disease and make the appropriate referrals. Eye disease (besides the need for glasses) is a relatively rare occurrence. It doesn't make sense for people to be seen regularly by an ophthom. On the other hand, caries is just about the most prevalent disease know to man. EVERYBODY gets cavities. There is a very definite reason people should be seeing their dentist every 6 months to a year.

12YearOldKid said:
Not much of a comparison. I hesitate to say this because some people are easily offended by the truth, but a closer analogy would be an optometrist/optom. technician. Hygiene is a 2 year associate's program. It is a technical degree; NOT a professional/doctoral degree.

Optometrists are doctors trained to recognize eye disease and make the appropriate referrals. Eye disease (besides the need for glasses) is a relatively rare occurrence. It doesn't make sense for people to be seen regularly by an ophthom. On the other hand, caries is just about the most prevalent disease know to man. EVERYBODY gets cavities. There is a very definite reason people should be seeing their dentist every 6 months to a year.
I have to agree, that really is a poor comparison. I would like to clarify something though. Ocular disease is most definitely not as rare as you indicate. Optometrists are certainly trained to do much more than prescribe glasses. They diagnose AND treat ocular disease, pretty much anything short of surgery.

Optometrists train for the same length of time as a general dentist, 4 years of undergraduate coursework, and 4 years of optometry school are required to become a doctor of optometry. In fact the basic systemic science course work for dentistry and optometry is almost identical.

I don’t understand where the world has gotten the idea that optometrists are little more than techs.

12YearOldKid said:

I think the better comparison would be MD/RN. Sure there are advanced practice RN's right now but if you consider the duties of a floor nurse with those of an MD you will see that they are very similar to the DDS/RDH that we are talking about. Nurse practitioners are great for medicine due to the time constraints that MD's are seeing today put on by the insurance companies. Luckily as a Dentist insurance isn't as big as a deal. If the dental profession does give into the insurance companies and we do see decreasing reimburesement without supplemental payment done by the patients then I believe we will also see Hygiene Practioners become more of an issue. Lucky for us people don't care enough about their teeth and the federal government hasn't told us that we can't turn away patients in need like they have with the Medical profession. Any crack ***** on the street can walk into an ER and complain about an itch "down there" and get treated and the Hospital 9 times out of 10 has to eat the cost because they are not allowed to turn the patients away. Now if Dentists weren't allowed to turn patients away we would be seeing these same crack ***** comming in because some guy gave them a rash on their tongue. Luckily this is not the case, but if it was I can guarentee that we would see Hygiene Practioners, I wouldn't want to treat them.

UABopt said:
I have to agree, that really is a poor comparison. I would like to clarify something though. Ocular disease is most definitely not as rare as you indicate. Optometrists are certainly trained to do much more than prescribe glasses. They diagnose AND treat ocular disease, pretty much anything short of surgery.

Optometrists train for the same length of time as a general dentist, 4 years of undergraduate coursework, and 4 years of optometry school are required to become a doctor of optometry. In fact the basic systemic science course work for dentistry and optometry is almost identical.

I don’t understand where the world has gotten the idea that optometrists are little more than techs.

I don't know anybody who thinks of ODs as techs. And I was referring to ocular disease as being rare when compared to dental caries - hence the phrase "relatively rare" in my post. But I think we're on the same page, so it's all cool. :D

aphistis said:
Hygienists are invaluable for providing preventive & other services in the dental office setting, but only under appropriate supervision. The ADHA can gripe & moan about "advanced dental hygiene practitioners" all it wants; in the meantime, I'll continue trusting my health to doctorates, not associate's degrees.
The average dentist is a highly trained technician, so what's the damn difference? I'm not saying this to stir the pot or b/c I'm an egotistical OMS. I'm saying it b/c of the number of times I've heard dental students say, "Why do I need to know this?" and the number of times I've had attendings in dental school freak-out over anything remotely medical. By remotely medical, I mean anything involving soft tissue or general medical conditions.

It doesn't take four years of learning to cut 1.25 rather than 1.3mm preps to learn how and when to scale teeth. PA's and NP's do simple stuff on their own all the time in medicine. They function like life-long interns.

UABopt said:

Sorry, that was a very misinformed comparison :confused:
I was just trying to see if similar situations had occurred in different health-related fields...and I always get confused between my optician, optometrist and ophtamologist. I didn't mean to offend anybody :(

Thank you TucsonDDS for a better comparison. :love:

superchris147 said:
damn, someone is feeling a little inadequate.

i'm sure the schooling is very hard to become a hygenist and its tough and blah blah but so is dental school and so is medical school. the bottom line is, you should be allowed to do things that you have been trained to do by FORMAL EDUCATION. hygenists that are trained to do fillings, crowns, endo, etc are called DENTISTS.

Your argument of "yeah you're a DDS but your whole office is key" is an incredibly poor argument for hygenists making more money. Every successful dentist knows that keeping his staff happy is important for production. But if every hygenist decided to quit dentists could just do the hygeine themselves and be fine. they would probably make less money but they would be fine. if you just have a hygenist you're going to have problems that they are not going to understand how to take care of. if hygeine was such a big money maker then dentists would just do it themselves.

I think that letting hygenists do those kinds of things in underserved areas is BS. You'll end up giving poor/rural people poor oral health care. If you're argument is something better than nothing then I guess its ok, but its not the answer.

BTW, if you couldn't do this in 45 minutes

then i definately don't think you should be making an argument for being paid more

shazaam

Hey Mr. Shazaam,

I never said that hygenists should make more money. Maybe you should read what I wrote AGAIN!!!!

Also, I never wrote anything about expanding a hygienists scope of practice!! I was replying too the comment orginally posted that hygienists are overpaid for such little schooling!!!!

aphistis said:
All true enough.

DH programs awarding bachelor's degrees are significantly in the minority. Further, I never said anything about "2-year grads"; I referred to associate's degree programs which, like it or not, is what the significant majority of DH curricula are.

I'm not going to open up a debate over who's smarter than whom (MOD NOTE: if anyone else does, this thread will be closed in a heartbeat), but here and throughout your post, you make the significant--and seriously flawed--assumption that all DDS & DH students are equally intelligent, and that academic struggle is purely a function of curriculum, rather than reflecting both rigor of curriculum and academic ability of students. I had to successfully finish 112 credit hours of graduate-level coursework to complete first & second years. I don't know specifics on IUSD's hygiene program, but associate's degree programs are typically ~60 hours of undergraduate classes. Like it or not, that's a 2:1 imbalance, and that's even before the undergrad/post-grad discrepancy widens the gap even further.

Now, before you jump on me for belittling your profession, I'm not saying anywhere in this post that hygiene is unimportant or its training is insignificant. What I am saying, and there's plenty of objective data supporting the position, is that the two professions are not identical, they are not interchangeable, and they are not equally trained to diagnose & treat. Dentistry is the top-level provider of oral health care, & hygiene is a valuable, but adjunct, support profession.

Put another way, if every hygienist on earth disappeared this afternoon, every patient in a given practice could still be treated by the employing dentists; if every dentist disappeared, however, everyone except SRP & maintenance patients would be completely SOL.

This is another appearance of the flawed premise I mentioned above. In case nobody has mentioned this, we have to do all that too.

Like I said, you'll get no arguments from me on any of this.

You & other hygienists across the nation aren't just "plaque scrapers," not by a wide margin.

But, by equally wide a margin, you're not doctors either (yet, in your case ;)). I find it both highly disingenuous & deplorably unethical that hygiene as a profession is trying to legislate itself into something it objectively is not, and is not even close to being. It's doing a tremendous disservice to patients, and it's for nothing more significant than professional chest-beating.

I was replying to the post that said hygienists are grossly overpaid for such little education.

I said nothing about expanding the scope of practice. In fact, I disagree with lobbying for expanding duties.

Also, I by no means mentioned anything about DDS education vs RDH. Duh we are not doctors, thats why its a Doctorate in Dental Surgery in a Doctorate in Dental Hygiene.

I am an RDH going to DDS, and we are not grossly overpaid! Think about what you are saying...... Where I work I am paid salary $240 per day ( $30 per hour in VA) , prophys are $58, exam $42, fluoride $26, 4 bitewings $42, pano $79, perio: $175 per quad. My pt load averages 11-12 pt per day. If I am doing perio, it goes to 8-9 patients. But overall, we are "producers" ! We help make dental practices very successful. Yes, you are a DDS, but you can't run the practice by yourself. Every one, dental assistant , front desk and RDH's play a very critical role.

Your assistant- will probably spend more time with the pt than you
Your Front desk- they are the first that is seen by patients
Your RDH- pt will been seeing them 2 x year or more if perio pt

And by the way.... not all RDH's are 2 yr grads. I have a 4 year degree, B.S. in Dental Hygiene. Also, for two year programs (they are a rip off) it is actually 3 yrs of schooling. The first year is just prereq's (Micro, anatomy,chemistry and so on). Then they have to apply to DH school which is 2 yrs!!!

In my class, 200 people applied, 40 were accepted and 22 graduated. What happened to the rest? 1 dropped out at will, the others were failed or were held back 1 yr. As you can see, our schooling is not a walk in the park!

Don't forget........... we have grueling national boards, clinical boards and state exams to pass!!!!!

I have worked for many doctors. I have seen practices gross over 1 million per year. They are the ones who realize that there staff is very "key" to success.

Dental Hygiene is not an easy job. In under 45 min we have to:

Review med hx
Take BP/pulse
Perio probe 32 teeth with 6 readings per tooth
scaling( coronal and sub)
do oral health care instructions- explaining what is periodontal disease, how they can prevent it, demo places they are missing with brush,floss, waterpik etc.
polish
fluoride

Plaque scrapers? I think not. Try a pt with generalized moderate periodontitis and gen heavy sub and supra calc. with heavy stain.

Very well said!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

dentists use the dental hygeinists, assistants, lab technicians to get rich.
they justify their greedy deed by their "doctorate'' degree.
they make the stupid laws to protect their income.
bottom line dentistry is all about the money.
dental healthcare profession is immoral.

you're an idiot, and you should have let this thread die.

Harrell Tells Graduates ‘the Sky Is the Limit,’ Encourages Them to Give Back in Their Careers
2007-05-03_commencement.jpg
Following is the commencement address, given by Dr. Sharon Nicholson Harrell at the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Dentistry’s 54th Honors Convocation on May 13, 2007.
Harrell is dental director for FirstHealth of the Carolinas, a not-for-profit hospital system based in Pinehurst. She received her DDS degree from the School of Dentistry in 1987 and her master’s degree in public health training at the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Public Health in 1990.
To Dean Williams, Vice Dean [Ken] May, faculty, distinguished platform guests, family, friends and the Class of 2007, good afternoon!
It is especially meaningful to me to be asked to give your commencement address because:
Twenty years ago to the day, I was sitting where you are, and it was the culmination of a dream – the dream of my father who never finished high school, the dream of a man who worked in factories all of his life, but who had a vision for his three little girls: Tammy, Wanda and me, Sharon. (I’m the oldest.) He told us, he said, “For the first time in history, unlike me, you can go to any college you want and achieve anything you desire. The sky is the limit.”
So on the wings of a father’s dream, I graduated from the UNC School of Dentistry in 1987 and became a dentist. My middle sister, because of that same dream, is an ob/gyn, and my youngest sister is a lawyer – all of us, UNC alumni. America is a wonderful country, and UNC is a wonderful university. The sky truly is the limit.
I want to follow up on that theme of “the sky is the limit” and tell you that my commencement topic this afternoon is “You Can Have it All.” You can have it all.
Twenty years ago, when I graduated, we were in the aftermath of the feminist movement. In fact, at that time, our entering class of 26 women was the largest number of women in a class who had ever matriculated at the UNC School of Dentistry. Twenty years ago, “you can have it all” meant that women could have a career and a family. In fact, there was a popular song out in 1972 by Helen Reddy, which was number one on the Billboard chart entitled “I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar”! There was another popular commercial for Enjoli perfume in which a mother belted out the lyrics: “I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan…” and you know the rest. So, “you can have it all” meant something different then.
So, just what do I mean in 2007 when I say you can have it all? I mean that you can have it all in that you can have a successful practice and still give back to your community. You can have a successful practice and still provide dental health care to underserved populations. “You can have it all.”
Dentistry is a wonderful profession. However, the true love of the profession comes through finding your calling – finding your niche. For some of you, it might be cosmetic dentistry, for others, prosth, for still others it might be academics. For me, it has been public health. Find your niche in dentistry, and you will be happy forever.
As I said, dentistry is a wonderful profession, and I consider it a privilege to have been called to do it. And I do believe it is a calling. Everyone can’t do what we do. So it is incumbent upon us, by virtue of being able to have the opportunity to practice in such a great profession, to say thank you by “giving back.”
You can have it all. You can have a successful practice and still give back to your community.
Your class made history by being the first dental school nationwide to “give back.” I applaud [Class of 2007 DDS graduate] Jennifer Bell and your entire class for signing a pledge that affirms your commitment to provide dental health care to underserved populations for at least four hours per month.
Let me share a story with you about one underserved person. This is an excerpt from The Washington Post dated February 28, 2007:
“Twelve-year-old Deamonte Driver died of a toothache Sunday.”
“… The bacteria from the abscess had spread to his brain, doctors said. After two operations and more than six weeks of hospital care, the Prince George’s County boy died.”
“A routine, $80 tooth extraction might have saved him.
“If his mother had been insured.
“If his family had not lost its Medicaid.
“If Medicaid dentists weren’t so hard to find.”
Just how bad is this access-to-care issue for the poor and underserved?
The North Carolina Medical Journal reports that out of the 100 counties in North Carolina, there are many as 40 counties where there is no dentist wiling to serve a Medicaid patient.
Dental Medicaid, as you know, is the dental insurance program designed by the state and federal government to pay for dental treatment for low-income individuals.
Fewer than one in three Medicaid recipients sees a dentist each year.
Why don’t more dentists sign up for Medicaid? One of the reasons that dentists don’t sign up for Medicaid is because of the low reimbursement rates, which range from 35 percent to 85 percent of what the dentist charges based on the 2007 National Dental Advisory Service median.
An active Medicaid dentist (as defined by the Division of Medicaid Assistance) is one who receives at least $10,000 in Medicaid reimbursements per year.
Jennifer Bell charged you to give four hours per month to serve communities with limited access to care. I have even a bolder charge this afternoon. Before I give you my charge, let me tailor it a bit. I know that many of you will be in associateships where your owner dentist decides your patient make-up. I know that many of you will be in specialty programs and residencies. But when the time comes that you are the decision-maker, I boldly charge you to consider providing at least $10,000 per year in care to Medicaid recipients in the state of North Carolina.
What a wonderful way to say thank you to the citizens of North Carolina who have made it possible for you to receive the most premier dental education in the nation.
In the examples that follow, I’ve using the DDS class. However, I would also challenge specialists who are graduating to do the same, because if patients have trouble accessing a general dentist, they really have problems accessing a specialist. For the dental hygiene and dental assisting graduates, consider joining a practice which allows you to give back to the community.
Well, just imagine what happens if you accept my charge! That means that this class alone would provide over $800,000 worth of care to Medicaid recipients in a year’s time.
Since the average Medicaid patient receives about of $467 worth of dental treatment each year, your class would increase access to care for over 1,700 additional persons. Assuming the classes below you did the same, you would increase access to dental care for almost 7,000 more Medicaid patients. What a wonderful legacy to leave.

You can have it all. You can have a successful practice and still give back to your community.
I can hear you saying: “Dr. Harrell, this all sounds good and altruistic, and it’s giving me warm fuzzies, but you must be going bonkers! How can I make my annual production goals if I see any Medicaid patients? How would I combat the no-show problem? I can’t do it, I have too much debt.”
And I know, I know, some of your mentors have warned you against taking Medicaid, but if the tide against providing access to care is to change, it must change with you!
According to the 2005 American Dental Association Survey of Dental Practice, the average U.S. dental office has almost $600,000 in gross billings per year. Providing $10,000 in Medicaid care would come to less than 2 percent of gross charges per year.
You can have it all and still give back to your community!
I want to close with a poem entitled “A Dentist’s Prayer”:
Thank you, O God, for the privilege of being a dentist.
For letting me serve as your instrument in ministering to the sick and afflicted,
May I always treat with reverence the human life which you have brought into being and which I serve,
Deepen my love for people so that I will always give myself gladly and generously to those stricken with illness and pain,
Help me to listen patiently, diagnose carefully, prescribe conscientiously and treat gently,
Teach me to blend gentleness with skill,
To be a dentist with a heart as well as a mind.

Harrell Tells Graduates ‘the Sky Is the Limit,' Encourages Them to Give Back in Their Careers
2007-05-03_commencement.jpg
Following is the commencement address, given by Dr. Sharon Nicholson Harrell at the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Dentistry's 54th Honors Convocation on May 13, 2007.
Harrell is dental director for FirstHealth of the Carolinas, a not-for-profit hospital system based in Pinehurst. She received her DDS degree from the School of Dentistry in 1987 and her master's degree in public health training at the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Public Health in 1990.
To Dean Williams, Vice Dean [Ken] May, faculty, distinguished platform guests, family, friends and the Class of 2007, good afternoon!
It is especially meaningful to me to be asked to give your commencement address because:
Twenty years ago to the day, I was sitting where you are, and it was the culmination of a dream – the dream of my father who never finished high school, the dream of a man who worked in factories all of his life, but who had a vision for his three little girls: Tammy, Wanda and me, Sharon. (I'm the oldest.) He told us, he said, "For the first time in history, unlike me, you can go to any college you want and achieve anything you desire. The sky is the limit."
So on the wings of a father's dream, I graduated from the UNC School of Dentistry in 1987 and became a dentist. My middle sister, because of that same dream, is an ob/gyn, and my youngest sister is a lawyer – all of us, UNC alumni. America is a wonderful country, and UNC is a wonderful university. The sky truly is the limit.
I want to follow up on that theme of "the sky is the limit" and tell you that my commencement topic this afternoon is "You Can Have it All." You can have it all.
Twenty years ago, when I graduated, we were in the aftermath of the feminist movement. In fact, at that time, our entering class of 26 women was the largest number of women in a class who had ever matriculated at the UNC School of Dentistry. Twenty years ago, "you can have it all" meant that women could have a career and a family. In fact, there was a popular song out in 1972 by Helen Reddy, which was number one on the Billboard chart entitled "I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar"! There was another popular commercial for Enjoli perfume in which a mother belted out the lyrics: "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan…" and you know the rest. So, "you can have it all" meant something different then.
So, just what do I mean in 2007 when I say you can have it all? I mean that you can have it all in that you can have a successful practice and still give back to your community. You can have a successful practice and still provide dental health care to underserved populations. "You can have it all."
Dentistry is a wonderful profession. However, the true love of the profession comes through finding your calling – finding your niche. For some of you, it might be cosmetic dentistry, for others, prosth, for still others it might be academics. For me, it has been public health. Find your niche in dentistry, and you will be happy forever.
As I said, dentistry is a wonderful profession, and I consider it a privilege to have been called to do it. And I do believe it is a calling. Everyone can't do what we do. So it is incumbent upon us, by virtue of being able to have the opportunity to practice in such a great profession, to say thank you by "giving back."
Your class made history by being the first dental school nationwide to "give back." I applaud [Class of 2007 DDS graduate] Jennifer Bell and your entire class for signing a pledge that affirms your commitment to provide dental health care to underserved populations for at least four hours per month.
Let me share a story with you about one underserved person. This is an excerpt from The Washington Post dated February 28, 2007:
"Twelve-year-old Deamonte Driver died of a toothache Sunday."
"… The bacteria from the abscess had spread to his brain, doctors said. After two operations and more than six weeks of hospital care, the Prince George's County boy died."
"A routine, $80 tooth extraction might have saved him.
"If his mother had been insured.
"If his family had not lost its Medicaid.
"If Medicaid dentists weren't so hard to find."
Just how bad is this access-to-care issue for the poor and underserved?
The North Carolina Medical Journal reports that out of the 100 counties in North Carolina, there are many as 40 counties where there is no dentist wiling to serve a Medicaid patient.
Dental Medicaid, as you know, is the dental insurance program designed by the state and federal government to pay for dental treatment for low-income individuals.
Fewer than one in three Medicaid recipients sees a dentist each year.
Why don't more dentists sign up for Medicaid? One of the reasons that dentists don't sign up for Medicaid is because of the low reimbursement rates, which range from 35 percent to 85 percent of what the dentist charges based on the 2007 National Dental Advisory Service median.
An active Medicaid dentist (as defined by the Division of Medicaid Assistance) is one who receives at least $10,000 in Medicaid reimbursements per year.
Jennifer Bell charged you to give four hours per month to serve communities with limited access to care. I have even a bolder charge this afternoon. Before I give you my charge, let me tailor it a bit. I know that many of you will be in associateships where your owner dentist decides your patient make-up. I know that many of you will be in specialty programs and residencies. But when the time comes that you are the decision-maker, I boldly charge you to consider providing at least $10,000 per year in care to Medicaid recipients in the state of North Carolina.
What a wonderful way to say thank you to the citizens of North Carolina who have made it possible for you to receive the most premier dental education in the nation.
In the examples that follow, I've using the DDS class. However, I would also challenge specialists who are graduating to do the same, because if patients have trouble accessing a general dentist, they really have problems accessing a specialist. For the dental hygiene and dental assisting graduates, consider joining a practice which allows you to give back to the community.
Well, just imagine what happens if you accept my charge! That means that this class alone would provide over $800,000 worth of care to Medicaid recipients in a year's time.
Since the average Medicaid patient receives about of $467 worth of dental treatment each year, your class would increase access to care for over 1,700 additional persons. Assuming the classes below you did the same, you would increase access to dental care for almost 7,000 more Medicaid patients. What a wonderful legacy to leave.

I can hear you saying: "Dr. Harrell, this all sounds good and altruistic, and it's giving me warm fuzzies, but you must be going bonkers! How can I make my annual production goals if I see any Medicaid patients? How would I combat the no-show problem? I can't do it, I have too much debt."
And I know, I know, some of your mentors have warned you against taking Medicaid, but if the tide against providing access to care is to change, it must change with you!
According to the 2005 American Dental Association Survey of Dental Practice, the average U.S. dental office has almost $600,000 in gross billings per year. Providing $10,000 in Medicaid care would come to less than 2 percent of gross charges per year.
You can have it all and still give back to your community!
I want to close with a poem entitled "A Dentist's Prayer":
Thank you, O God, for the privilege of being a dentist.
For letting me serve as your instrument in ministering to the sick and afflicted,
May I always treat with reverence the human life which you have brought into being and which I serve,
Deepen my love for people so that I will always give myself gladly and generously to those stricken with illness and pain,
Help me to listen patiently, diagnose carefully, prescribe conscientiously and treat gently,
Teach me to blend gentleness with skill,
To be a dentist with a heart as well as a mind.

+pity++pity++pity++pity++pity++pity+:sleep::sleep::sleep:

When ever I see a really long post, the first thing I think is. Hey that person spent a lot of time writing that, I guess I won't read it because it will take me a long time to read it.

This is a free market economy. There is no unfair earning. The fair prices and salaries are determined by the market. I know hygienists who make $800 per day and another who makes 30% commission and has pulled in $1200 in one day. I also know of lab techs who charge $650 per unit. Dentistry is a healthcare business (just like medicine...we are not in a socialist society) and profits are often dispersed generously and fairly. It is not a feudalistic enterprise where the dentist is the lord of the land and has dozens of serfs working beneath him. Everybody involved does quite well.

The dental profession is not immoral. It is inanimate. It is not capable of having moral characteristics. People can be immoral. Some dentists are less concerned with patient care than profit. Just like some office staff embezzle money.

Thank you for the above poster redefining Optometry. Optometrists get a lot of training that ophthalmologists don't. To compare our profession to an associate level profession is an insult. The GPA averages to get into dental and optometry schools are identical. I have 9 years of post high school training. 4 undergrad, 4 year opt school, +1 year residency.

Okay enough of the rant. At least you dentists have associate level people trying to take your jobs. We have high school grads trying to do eye exams by themselves (opticians). Just be lucky you only have a challenge from below, not one from above and below!

Hygenists should never perform stand alone examinations, just as opticians never should.

profits are dis. .. ... in my wildest dream. read on .

The response was overwhelming—Hopefully it's just the beginning

• Patrick M. Lloyd, DDS, MS11Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Prosthodontics, American College of Prosthodontists
  • 1Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Prosthodontics, American College of Prosthodontists
JUST ABOUT this time last year, I published an editorial on the shortage of dental laboratory technicians. It discussed their role in the dental team and our increasing dependence on them. It detailed the reduction in curriculum hours for dental laboratory technology in our dental schools and the number of programs that had closed. Several ideas were proposed to get people to join a grassroots effort to turn the crisis around. Although it may not have been the most eloquent piece I had ever written, I thought I did justice to the topic.
Several weeks passed before I heard from any of our readers. Initially I thought that perhaps what I had written was so obvious to everyone that it wasn't worth commenting on. Or maybe I had missed the mark on this one. Could it be that because of my training in prosthodontics I was overreacting and was more sensitive to the issue than others? As things turned out, my early doubts were completely unfounded and the reaction, when it came, was overwhelming.
At first I received a few short e-mail messages, acknowledging that I was right on target. People said they agreed with me completely and that we (the American College of Prosthodontists) needed do all we could to prevent the problem from getting worse. Several cited examples of things they were doing at the local level to help.
I didn't realize just how much sympathy there was for the issue until the requests for permission to reprint started coming in. The editorial was first reprinted in the newsletter of the American Dental Editors Association, a publication received by the editors of nearly every dental journal, newsletter, and magazine in the country.
A couple of weeks later, I learned that the newsletter of a small dental study club in Madison, Wisconsin, had reprinted my editorial for its members. The editor told me that he thought all their members needed to read it. Later that month, the Web site of the Florida Academy of General Dentistry carried it, putting it first in their table of contents. The same thing happened in the Detroit Dental Bulletin, which reprinted "A Crisis Looming on the Horizon," as a front-page feature story.
At that point, I thought I had seen the last "hurrah" of interest in my editorial. Then, early this February, I received a call from the managing editor of the ADA Newsletter, requesting permission to reprint the editorial in their mid-March issue. They said it would be the lead editorial and—just as all the others had done—they agreed to acknowledge the original source, journal title, year published, volume, page numbers, and Web site. I worked on the permission immediately and provided them with all the necessary information within 2 days. This was an opportunity we couldn't afford to miss—an opportunity to get "the message" out in the most widely read dental publication in the country. Dentists far and wide would learn more about the crisis and be informed that the ACP had a vested interest.
Within a few days, an entirely different type of correspondence started arriving at my office. These were more personal writings—testimonials, reflections, and expressions of commiseration.
I received a handwritten card from the president of a large laboratory in Newport Beach, California. He told me that he was meeting the challenge—an undersupply of qualified technicians—by finding and training them in his 80-seat education facility. He has 5 trainers at his facility and uses a computer-based education program. With much of the curriculum on video, individuals can progress at their own pace. He went on to say that he believes his efforts are paying big dividends—a group of very talented technicians. At the end of his note, he stated, "I sincerely appreciate your kind words about dental technicians. Most of us in our industry are very proud of what we do and do feel as if we are a true 'part of the team,' thanks to caring dentists such as yourself."
A dental ceramic researcher from the Medical College of Georgia e-mailed me and said my comments about the dwindling supply of dental laboratory technicians intrigued him. He is interested in developing technologies to help technicians with less training achieve better results with ceramic restorations. He plans to adapt and adopt ceramic technologies from industry—where the level of automation is high and dependency on human skill is minimal. In time, this may provide another part of the solution.
I heard from a dental technician who told me he had my editorial laminated and posted in his lab so that everyone who visited could read it. He said he had lots and lots of copies made and was sending them to his best clients with their cases. "They all need to read what you wrote," he remarked. And here at my own college, several of our technicians asked for a copy. Each said they enjoyed reading it and extended a heartfelt thank you.
From Albuquerque, I heard from a concerned general practitioner. He offered me a slightly different, yet valuable, viewpoint. "As I'm sure you realize, there are market forces at work (here), influencing the current direction of our profession. One segment of the population demands excellence in dental care and is willing and personally able to fund such. Another segment is primarily insurance-focused." He goes on to ask rhetorically, "How can U.S. independent dental technicians compete with Third World labs?" He ended on a sad note: "The overwhelming market demand is for low-cost, low-quality services. It's not a reality I enjoy. But, I need to face facts."
Later that day, I spoke with another GP who was preparing to give a lecture in Florida at a regional dental laboratory meeting. He wanted to know if he could quote from my editorial, assuring me that he would give credit to the JP and the ACP. I told him I would be most happy if he could use my words to persuade others.
And from one of my colleagues, a College member and a trained technician, I received an e-mail that cut right to the chase. He called my ideas great, but referred to them as "fuzzy-warm." He believes that the dental profession (prosthodontists excluded) is not overly concerned with the problem. "Most dentists are primarily concerned about getting their restoration in a timely manner and at a low cost," he said. He ended his remarks on a rather sobering and direct note: "We need to pay our technicians more, a lot more. We'll either do it through our own control, or watch the tides of supply and demand (take over)."
I learned quite a bit from this whole process. It started out simply, as yet another editorial commentary supporting a cause. But then it grew. It traveled from here to there, touching many along the way. It incited some to write or send e-mail and possibly it provoked hundreds or thousands more to take action in their practices, communities, and organizations. Let's hope that this is only the beginning.

Patrick M. Lloyd, DDS, MS1

Dental laboratory technology in crisis, part II

Potential solutions to the challenges facing the industry

GORDON J. CHRISTENSEN, D.D.S., M.S.D., Ph.D.

In February, The Dental Technology Summit, a two-day conference, was held in Chicago to identify and discuss major challenges facing the dental laboratory industry. Conference attendees, who represented the various areas of activity associated with dental laboratory technology, identified the four most significant challenges as
– dental laboratory educational programs and student recruitment;
– dental laboratory technician certification issues;
– offshore dental laboratories (the gray market);
– dentist–laboratory technician interaction.
After identifying the four major challenges, conference participants divided into four groups, discussed and subdivided the various aspects of the challenges, and developed potential solutions for them. Our column in the May issue of JADA1 discussed the four areas of concern in detail.
This article reports the potential solutions drafted by conference attendees for the four major challenges facing the laboratory industry and, therefore, the dental profession. The potential solutions are divided into the four categories of challenges stated above. After the small group discussions, each of the four group chairpersons presented to the entire group the potential solutions developed by his or her respective small group. The total group of attendees of the conference discussed, amended and approved the potential solutions. Specific individual attendees are being assigned responsibilities toward implementing the suggestions made by the conference attendees.

DENTAL LABORATORY EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS AND RECRUITMENT

Public awareness of dental technology should be increased. A public relations firm should be engaged to develop methods to promote dental technology as a viable vocational area.

A public information Web site should be developed to allow patients to become educated about dental technology. Methods should be developed to inform patients about the benefits of quality dental technology, where restorations are made, what materials are used to make the restorations and how laboratory technicians are paid for their work.
Standardization in curriculum content should be developed. A task force should be developed to determine the best curriculum for dental technology and in what sequence the education should be provided to technology students, such as a two-year program, short modules or a combination format.
Sources of educational material for laboratory technicians should be found, evaluated and used in educational programs.
Funding sources should be found to allow existing schools to provide students with the materials they need to use during their educational period.
The groups or organizations related to dental technology, having common educational needs and goals, should be identified and brought together to achieve the determined goals for the dental technology. These organizations include the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, the American Academy of Esthetic Dentistry, the American College of Prosthodontists, the American Dental Association, the American Dental Education Association and the National Association of Dental Laboratories (NADL).
Education in clinical dentistry and dental technology should be integrated. Methods should be developed to integrate teaching of dental students and dental technology students.
The individuals, schools, organizations and laboratories most likely to be influential in this area should be identified and organized to effect integration of clinical dentistry and dental technology education at the local and national levels.
Activities should be identified that encourage integration of dentists and dental technologists.
Methods should be found to encourage ongoing and continued interaction between dental technicians and dentists at all levels.
The various levels of dental technicians should be formally defined.
There should be a mechanism to differentiate between qualified technicians and those who do piece work in laboratories.
Related organizations should work together to establish postgraduate and postcertification levels of proficiency that are measurable and can be tested and validated.
Methods should be developed to identify to dentists the technicians who have achieved various levels of proficiency.
Methods should be found to encourage ongoing and continued interaction between dental technicians and dentists at all levels.
Methods should be developed to recognize technicians who excel in their respective areas.
Dental laboratory technology schools should recruit technicians known to be proficient to provide the training to their students.

DENTAL LABORATORY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION ISSUES

The value of certification should be increased. Manufacturers should promote the importance of technician certification.

The following and other organizations should promote the importance of dental laboratory technician certification: the Academy of General Dentistry, the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, the American Academy of Esthetic Dentistry, the American College of Prosthodontists, the ADA, the American Dental Education Association and the National Board for Certification in Dental Laboratory Technology.
A Master Dental Technician designation should be added to the Certified Dental Technician program.
Dental organizations should be solicited to place information about the Certified Dental Technician program on their Web sites.
Technician certification should be made mandatory. Key states should be targeted to influence legislative action requiring employment of Certified Dental Technicians to operate a laboratory. The "Texas model" should be used as an example.
The ADA should be persuaded to allow and encourage individual states to legislate dental laboratory regulation and technician licensure. The NADL has a model bill for technician licensure and certification for use with state legislatures.
A registry list should be made of all technicians, both certified and noncertified. From the U.S. Census Bureau or the Internal Revenue Service, or other sources, a list should be made of all dental laboratory technicians to allow communication, encourage certification and solicit for continuing education.
Laboratory owners should be educated about the desirability of allowing the names of all noncertified laboratory technicians to be placed on a national list to allow solicitation for continuing education, certification and organizational membership.
The necessity of formal education in dental technology for certification should be emphasized. The National Board requirements for technician certification, which currently are not specific, should be changed to require two years of formal education in dental technology or its equivalent.
Currently active experienced dental technicians should be allowed to become certified by means of "grandfather" status with enough time to become certified before the two-year formal educational requirement is in effect.

OFFSHORE DENTAL LABORATORIES (THE GRAY MARKET)

The concept of prostheses as medical devices should be enforced. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA’s) view of dental laboratory prostheses as medical devices—and therefore subject to medical device regulation—should be enforced. It also should be emphasized by lecturers, professional organizations and publications aimed at both dentists and the public.

With greater awareness of the medical device designation, the government, the dental profession and the laboratory industry should conduct more observation of prostheses.
Prostheses’ manufacturers should be identified. Enforcement of the FDA requirement to identify the location of a prosthesis’ manufacturer should be strengthened.
Dentists and technicians should be educated regarding the necessity of compliance with FDA requirements and the consequences of lack of compliance.
The NADL should define the responsibilities of laboratories in identifying the location of prostheses’ manufacture.
The ADA should address the concept of the patient’s right to know about where and of what his or her prostheses have been made, and dental organizations should be encouraged to support it also.
The use of 510(k) materials should be ensured. It should be ensured that only materials for which manufacturers have completed a premarket notification (510[k]) of the FDA are used in prostheses.
The FDA, the dental profession and the laboratory industry should enforce the FDA requirement that offshore laboratories be registered.
The NADL should encourage laboratories using prostheses made offshore to require materials to be specified and identified.
Delivery of the dentist’s prescription should be ensured. The dental profession and the laboratory industry should ensure that the dentist’s prescription is being delivered by the offshore laboratory.
Dentists and technicians should be educated about the necessity for accuracy in filling the practitioner’s prescription.
Barriers to offshore laboratory work should be evaluated. It should be determined how far to attempt to increase barriers to offshore laboratory work’s entry into this country. U.S. laboratories should encourage and demand an offshore registration requirement.
Dentists and dental societies should support the establishment of technical requirements for offshore prostheses.
Offshore laboratories should not dilute U.S. resources. It should be ensured that offshore laboratories do not dilute U.S. industry resources used to support dentists in education and research.
The ADA and state dental societies should lobby for legislative support in enforcing requirements and regulations for products made offshore.
Laboratories should have fee structures differentiating offshore and domestic prostheses.

DENTIST–LABORATORY TECHNICIAN INTERACTION

The perceived value of dentist-technician interaction within the ADA, dental schools and the dental technology community should be increased. The dental profession and the laboratory industry should collaborate to publish a "white paper," including scientific data, to support the position that technicians are necessary and valuable to dentists and patients.

Laboratory technicians should be encouraged to hold membership in professional dental societies and specialty organizations.
The public should be educated about laboratory technicians through media publications and advertisements; manufacturers should share with dental organizations the responsibility for the costs of this effort.
Dental societies and local laboratory organizations should be educated regarding how to inform the public about dental technology.
Professional organizations should be combined with local technical schools to provide support for equipment purchases, internships and so forth.
The Patient’s Bill of Rights should be amended to indicate that patients can meet with technicians if needed and desired.
A viable relationship should be created between dental students, dental educators, dentists, dental technicians and patients. The dental profession and the laboratory industry should collaborate to publish in JADA and the Journal of Dental Education a paper focusing on the desired dentist-technician relationship.
A campaign should be developed to improve the quality of the relationship between the dental profession and the laboratory industry.
Technicians should be involved in the political and educational environments in dentistry.
Dental practitioners should be trained in the best language to use in educating patients about the role of technicians in their overall oral treatment.
Dental manufacturers should be asked to contribute funds and ideas for the use of laboratories as educational locations, as dental supply houses do.
Dental manufacturers should provide externships for dental students in dental laboratories.
Speakers on dental topics should identify the laboratory technicians responsible for the technology shown in their lectures.
Dental schools should provide time in their curricula to permit dentists and technicians to teach dental students how the dentist-technician team should function in private practice.
Dentist-technician partnerships should be highlighted in mainstream professional media publications.
A "baseline" standard of care should be developed for dental technology. A recognizable "baseline" standard of care should be developed for dental technology, relating to both competency and products.
A prototypical prescription for general laboratory use should be created and then field-tested in dental schools.
A prototype for patient management protocols should be created.
Dentists should be encouraged to fund continuing education courses attended by both dentists and laboratory technicians to foster interaction and mutual advancement of skills.
Ethical and legal responsibilities for laboratory technicians and dentists should be defined.
Standards for dentists, technicians and manufacturers should be formally defined.
A peer-review board should be created to review ethical and legal failures by dentists and technicians.

SUMMARY

The dental laboratory industry appears to need immediate change to face many challenges, the four most significant of which are described in this column and in our column in May JADA. The first article on this subject described the current challenges facing the laboratory industry, as determined by conference attendees representing all aspects of the dental industry and related professions. This article reports on the suggestions made by attendees of this conference to solve the identified challenges.

FOOTNOTES

THIS MONTH’S COLUMN IS CO-AUTHORED BY WILLIAM YANCEY, D.D.S.

Dr. Christensen is co-founder and senior consultant, Clinical Research Associates, 3707 N. Canyon Road, Suite 3D, Provo, Utah 84604. Address reprint requests to Dr. Christensen.

Dr. Yancey is assistant dean and director, Continuing Education and Alumni Affairs, University of California-Los Angeles School of Dentistry.

The views expressed are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of the American Dental Association.

REFERENCES

1. Christensen GJ, Yancey W. Dental laboratory technology in crisis: the challenges facing the industry. JADA 2005;136:653–5.[Medline]

Dental laboratory technology in crisis, part II

Potential solutions to the challenges facing the industry

GORDON J. CHRISTENSEN, D.D.S., M.S.D., Ph.D.

In February, The Dental Technology Summit, a two-day conference, was held in Chicago to identify and discuss major challenges facing the dental laboratory industry. Conference attendees, who represented the various areas of activity associated with dental laboratory technology, identified the four most significant challenges as
– dental laboratory educational programs and student recruitment;
– dental laboratory technician certification issues;
– offshore dental laboratories (the gray market);
– dentist–laboratory technician interaction.
After identifying the four major challenges, conference participants divided into four groups, discussed and subdivided the various aspects of the challenges, and developed potential solutions for them. Our column in the May issue of JADA1 discussed the four areas of concern in detail.
This article reports the potential solutions drafted by conference attendees for the four major challenges facing the laboratory industry and, therefore, the dental profession. The potential solutions are divided into the four categories of challenges stated above. After the small group discussions, each of the four group chairpersons presented to the entire group the potential solutions developed by his or her respective small group. The total group of attendees of the conference discussed, amended and approved the potential solutions. Specific individual attendees are being assigned responsibilities toward implementing the suggestions made by the conference attendees.

DENTAL LABORATORY EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS AND RECRUITMENT

Public awareness of dental technology should be increased. A public relations firm should be engaged to develop methods to promote dental technology as a viable vocational area.

A public information Web site should be developed to allow patients to become educated about dental technology. Methods should be developed to inform patients about the benefits of quality dental technology, where restorations are made, what materials are used to make the restorations and how laboratory technicians are paid for their work.
Standardization in curriculum content should be developed. A task force should be developed to determine the best curriculum for dental technology and in what sequence the education should be provided to technology students, such as a two-year program, short modules or a combination format.
Sources of educational material for laboratory technicians should be found, evaluated and used in educational programs.
Funding sources should be found to allow existing schools to provide students with the materials they need to use during their educational period.
The groups or organizations related to dental technology, having common educational needs and goals, should be identified and brought together to achieve the determined goals for the dental technology. These organizations include the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, the American Academy of Esthetic Dentistry, the American College of Prosthodontists, the American Dental Association, the American Dental Education Association and the National Association of Dental Laboratories (NADL).
Education in clinical dentistry and dental technology should be integrated. Methods should be developed to integrate teaching of dental students and dental technology students.
The individuals, schools, organizations and laboratories most likely to be influential in this area should be identified and organized to effect integration of clinical dentistry and dental technology education at the local and national levels.
Activities should be identified that encourage integration of dentists and dental technologists.
The various levels of dental technicians should be formally defined.
There should be a mechanism to differentiate between qualified technicians and those who do piece work in laboratories.
Related organizations should work together to establish postgraduate and postcertification levels of proficiency that are measurable and can be tested and validated.
Methods should be developed to identify to dentists the technicians who have achieved various levels of proficiency.
Methods should be developed to recognize technicians who excel in their respective areas.
Dental laboratory technology schools should recruit technicians known to be proficient to provide the training to their students.

DENTAL LABORATORY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION ISSUES

The value of certification should be increased. Manufacturers should promote the importance of technician certification.

The following and other organizations should promote the importance of dental laboratory technician certification: the Academy of General Dentistry, the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, the American Academy of Esthetic Dentistry, the American College of Prosthodontists, the ADA, the American Dental Education Association and the National Board for Certification in Dental Laboratory Technology.
A Master Dental Technician designation should be added to the Certified Dental Technician program.
Dental organizations should be solicited to place information about the Certified Dental Technician program on their Web sites.
Technician certification should be made mandatory. Key states should be targeted to influence legislative action requiring employment of Certified Dental Technicians to operate a laboratory. The "Texas model" should be used as an example.
The ADA should be persuaded to allow and encourage individual states to legislate dental laboratory regulation and technician licensure. The NADL has a model bill for technician licensure and certification for use with state legislatures.
A registry list should be made of all technicians, both certified and noncertified. From the U.S. Census Bureau or the Internal Revenue Service, or other sources, a list should be made of all dental laboratory technicians to allow communication, encourage certification and solicit for continuing education.
Laboratory owners should be educated about the desirability of allowing the names of all noncertified laboratory technicians to be placed on a national list to allow solicitation for continuing education, certification and organizational membership.
The necessity of formal education in dental technology for certification should be emphasized. The National Board requirements for technician certification, which currently are not specific, should be changed to require two years of formal education in dental technology or its equivalent.
Currently active experienced dental technicians should be allowed to become certified by means of "grandfather" status with enough time to become certified before the two-year formal educational requirement is in effect.

OFFSHORE DENTAL LABORATORIES (THE GRAY MARKET)

The concept of prostheses as medical devices should be enforced. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA’s) view of dental laboratory prostheses as medical devices—and therefore subject to medical device regulation—should be enforced. It also should be emphasized by lecturers, professional organizations and publications aimed at both dentists and the public.

With greater awareness of the medical device designation, the government, the dental profession and the laboratory industry should conduct more observation of prostheses.
Prostheses’ manufacturers should be identified. Enforcement of the FDA requirement to identify the location of a prosthesis’ manufacturer should be strengthened.
Dentists and technicians should be educated regarding the necessity of compliance with FDA requirements and the consequences of lack of compliance.
The NADL should define the responsibilities of laboratories in identifying the location of prostheses’ manufacture.
The ADA should address the concept of the patient’s right to know about where and of what his or her prostheses have been made, and dental organizations should be encouraged to support it also.
The use of 510(k) materials should be ensured. It should be ensured that only materials for which manufacturers have completed a premarket notification (510[k]) of the FDA are used in prostheses.
The FDA, the dental profession and the laboratory industry should enforce the FDA requirement that offshore laboratories be registered.
The NADL should encourage laboratories using prostheses made offshore to require materials to be specified and identified.
Delivery of the dentist’s prescription should be ensured. The dental profession and the laboratory industry should ensure that the dentist’s prescription is being delivered by the offshore laboratory.
Dentists and technicians should be educated about the necessity for accuracy in filling the practitioner’s prescription.
Barriers to offshore laboratory work should be evaluated. It should be determined how far to attempt to increase barriers to offshore laboratory work’s entry into this country. U.S. laboratories should encourage and demand an offshore registration requirement.
Dentists and dental societies should support the establishment of technical requirements for offshore prostheses.
Offshore laboratories should not dilute U.S. resources. It should be ensured that offshore laboratories do not dilute U.S. industry resources used to support dentists in education and research.
The ADA and state dental societies should lobby for legislative support in enforcing requirements and regulations for products made offshore.
Laboratories should have fee structures differentiating offshore and domestic prostheses.

DENTIST–LABORATORY TECHNICIAN INTERACTION

The perceived value of dentist-technician interaction within the ADA, dental schools and the dental technology community should be increased. The dental profession and the laboratory industry should collaborate to publish a "white paper," including scientific data, to support the position that technicians are necessary and valuable to dentists and patients.

Laboratory technicians should be encouraged to hold membership in professional dental societies and specialty organizations.
The public should be educated about laboratory technicians through media publications and advertisements; manufacturers should share with dental organizations the responsibility for the costs of this effort.
Dental societies and local laboratory organizations should be educated regarding how to inform the public about dental technology.
Professional organizations should be combined with local technical schools to provide support for equipment purchases, internships and so forth.
The Patient’s Bill of Rights should be amended to indicate that patients can meet with technicians if needed and desired.
A viable relationship should be created between dental students, dental educators, dentists, dental technicians and patients. The dental profession and the laboratory industry should collaborate to publish in JADA and the Journal of Dental Education a paper focusing on the desired dentist-technician relationship.
A campaign should be developed to improve the quality of the relationship between the dental profession and the laboratory industry.
Technicians should be involved in the political and educational environments in dentistry.
Dental practitioners should be trained in the best language to use in educating patients about the role of technicians in their overall oral treatment.
Dental manufacturers should be asked to contribute funds and ideas for the use of laboratories as educational locations, as dental supply houses do.
Dental manufacturers should provide externships for dental students in dental laboratories.
Speakers on dental topics should identify the laboratory technicians responsible for the technology shown in their lectures.
Dental schools should provide time in their curricula to permit dentists and technicians to teach dental students how the dentist-technician team should function in private practice.
Dentist-technician partnerships should be highlighted in mainstream professional media publications.
A "baseline" standard of care should be developed for dental technology. A recognizable "baseline" standard of care should be developed for dental technology, relating to both competency and products.
A prototypical prescription for general laboratory use should be created and then field-tested in dental schools.
A prototype for patient management protocols should be created.
Dentists should be encouraged to fund continuing education courses attended by both dentists and laboratory technicians to foster interaction and mutual advancement of skills.
Ethical and legal responsibilities for laboratory technicians and dentists should be defined.
Standards for dentists, technicians and manufacturers should be formally defined.
A peer-review board should be created to review ethical and legal failures by dentists and technicians.

SUMMARY

The dental laboratory industry appears to need immediate change to face many challenges, the four most significant of which are described in this column and in our column in May JADA. The first article on this subject described the current challenges facing the laboratory industry, as determined by conference attendees representing all aspects of the dental industry and related professions. This article reports on the suggestions made by attendees of this conference to solve the identified challenges.

FOOTNOTES

THIS MONTH’S COLUMN IS CO-AUTHORED BY WILLIAM YANCEY, D.D.S.

Dr. Christensen is co-founder and senior consultant, Clinical Research Associates, 3707 N. Canyon Road, Suite 3D, Provo, Utah 84604. Address reprint requests to Dr. Christensen.

Dr. Yancey is assistant dean and director, Continuing Education and Alumni Affairs, University of California-Los Angeles School of Dentistry.

The views expressed are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of the American Dental Association.

REFERENCES

1. Christensen GJ, Yancey W. Dental laboratory technology in crisis: the challenges facing the industry. JADA 2005;136:653–5.[Medline]

By the length of this post and the previous it will not get read. Too many words + boring article=:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

After first working as a dental nurse, I qualified as a dental hygienist and dental therapist in the UK 16 years ago. I now practice as a hygienist in Australia, predominantly in a specialist periodontic clinic. I have worked extensively in community health settings and in dedicated dental clinics (providing dental care for HIV/AIDS, Hep B & Hep C patients). I have been involved in the training of Bachelor of Oral Health students at the University of Melbourne and have served on the committee of the Dental Hygienists Association of Australia (Vic Branch). I have completed a Graduate Certificate in International Health and am currently studying for my Masters in Public Health. I hope to continue my studies to PhD level. While I did briefly entertain the idea of studying dentistry, I have chosen to continue in the field of dental hygiene. I have just expanded my knowledge and skills along the way.

For those of you who do not know, a Dental Therapist is licensed to perform all of the duties that the ADHP will be allowed to carry out. 'Professionals Complementary to Dentistry' at an international level have evolved considerably during my career. When I initially qualified, therapists were unable to give ID blocks and were only legislated to practice in hospital or community settings. The role of both the hygienist and therapist expanded to include a range of clinical duties. I was one of the first hygienist groups to able to give infiltration analgesia and practice without the direct supervision of a dentist. PCDs are well respected and widely utilized members of the dental team. In both the UK and Australia, therapists are now able to work in general practice, with many dentists welcoming this decision. This has not resulted in a mass exodus of therapists from rural or community clinics to general practice in order to earn more money.

Reading about your concerns reminds of the many similar arguments I have heard over the years. I think the core issue should be that the ADHPs are well trained and well integrated within the field of public health. Practicing effectively in underserviced areas requires the collaboration of other health professionals. Unfortunately I have come across many poorly trained hygienists who are ill equipped to handle the difficult challenges treating special-needs of even older people poses. However, the same can be said for many dentists I have been in contact with. The common goal should be to provide optimum dental care ensuring access to those most in need.

while that applies for many RDH, some RDH have 4 years have bachelor's degree in DH for 4 years at universities.

while that applies for many RDH, some RDH have 4 years have bachelor's degree in DH for 4 years at universities.
x-ray tech could have a 4-year degree in radiography but they are still techs. RDH compared themselves to nurses.

I met a dental lab tech who told me a lot of the techs thought this way about dentist making a buck off of the lab tech and I kind of doubted it. Lab, assistant, hygiene, these are all roles a dentist could do but doesn't thereby allowing him to see more patients, probably reducing prices for certain services and increasing access and jobs. We would need many more dentists if we were to remove the axillary personnel and each procedure would be very labor intensive thus more expensive.