Hypothetical situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Columbia09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.74
sGPA: 3.65

25 MCAT (Didn't take yet)

Double major, biology and geology with a minor in history (top state school)

50 hours of shadowing with a personalized LOR.

Over a hundred hours of volunteering at a rehab center (direct healthcare exposure)

Geological expedition and a trip to Costa Rica where I did ecological research

Member of three honor societies, multiple clubs (VP of one club at my old school)

One year of research (plan to do more) with a presentation at a fair

I transferred a couple of times so my ECs changed.

Eagle Scout if that helps

I plan on applying to primarily D.O schools my top choice is NYCOM (In state resident)

Also, what is the minimum MCAT I must score in order to stand a chance at NYCOM? Assuming my GPAs don't change by much

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'd be fine with 25, but it's always best to hit the school's average (27) or above.

the average MCAT for accepted students at NYCOM is a 28 so aim for that

Members don't see this ad :)
ANother thing worth noting is that my lowest grade is one B- and I haven't retaken anything so far. How much weight will that hold?

Nobody will care.
this.. what matters is your overall cGPA and overall science GPA. you are well above NYCOM's average. NYCOM's Average overall GPA is 3.6 and for science GPA it is 3.3-3.4

Really ?! I would think it would look better compared to someone who retook their courses multiple times
Who cares what they'd think about someone else? It matters how they see you.

Does anyone know of people who got into NYCOM with a range of 22-24 ? How about <22 ?

Does anyone know of people who got into NYCOM with a range of 22-24 ? How about <22 ?
I have a good friend at NYCOM and he said they don't look at applicants with scores below 25. he's not on the adcom, so take that with a grain of salt. they are pretty competitive though (DO stats wise) with an average MCAT of 28 and average GPA of 3.6. they also receive 6000+ applications a year. you have a high science GPA. I would spend ample time studying for the MCAT and don't take the exam until you are scoring where you want to be

I have a good friend at NYCOM and he said they don't look at applicants with scores below 25. he's not on the adcom, so take that with a grain of salt. they are pretty competitive though (DO stats wise) with an average MCAT of 28 and average GPA of 3.6. they also receive 6000+ applications a year. you have a high science GPA. I would spend ample time studying for the MCAT and don't take the exam until you are scoring where you want to be

That's false because I know people on here you got in with a 24. The majority of applicants are probably OOS and it's very hard for them to gain acceptance since they're heavy on favoring IS students. Still this is why it's important to standout

Any other schools I can consider? Preferably close to NY

25 MCAT (Didn't take yet)

Any other schools I can consider? Preferably close to NY

That's false because I know people on here you got in with a 24. The majority of applicants are probably OOS and it's very hard for them to gain acceptance since they're heavy on favoring IS students. Still this is why it's important to standout

Why are you aiming for a 25? You have a pretty strong app - why not wait until you're truly ready and then actually do well on the MCAT?