I am beyond devastated with my MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rian.linda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Thank you for whoever took the time to read this. I am devastated, dumbfounded, so much more. I took the MCAT last year in April and I scored a 15. 2V, 6P, 7B. Last year I will admit I did not review any books. All I did was a few practice questions with each topic. I thought I knew the material well enough. This year I over-studied. I took the MCAT last month in April and I got a 17. 4V, 6P, 7B. I am speechless. Here is what I did for 4 straight months. I studied each day for 6-10 hours. I read all the Berkeley Review books TWICE (with notes) for Chemistry, Orgo, and Physics. I read ExamKrackers Biology TWICE (with notes). I watched the Golden Standard videos for each topic twice- a total of 32 hours (with notes). I did some of the Kaplan premier practice questions and exams. I took 6 out of the 9 AAMC exams and I scored 17, 19, 21, 22, 22, 23. I did not know what I was doing wrong. I went ahead and took the exam because it was too late for me to reschedule. I was hoping to get a 24 and apply to the early decision program. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND FOR THE LIFE OF ME how I got a 17. SOMEBODY please tell me what to do. I have to apply this year. Please. I will do anything. I cannot afford to take a class. I cannot study anymore. I have read the best rated books and even understood what I was reading. I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND HOWWWW. Should I just do the ExamKrackers 1001 questions for each topic along with the Kaplan Qbank???? Basically I have no other choice. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments. I am literally about to have a panic attack. I can't think of what this will look like on my application. Will Med School even accept me if I pass the 3rd time with previous scores of 15 and 17? HOW????? HOW did I get that???

Members don't see this ad.

Once again, I was not hoping to pull a score of 7-8 points higher, I was hoping to get a 24, 1 point higher than what I scored. Please, I am already frustrated as it is....read my posts before you judge what I was pushing for. I appreciate all your responses and thoughtful suggestions, but I feel like Jason12 could have been kinder with his word choice. By the way @Jason12 I am a female...Linda is a female name.

I believe you said that your target score (in other words your goal, the score you hope to achieve) was 28. To refresh your memory:

"Me: If you're willing, what is your target score?
You: 28......please I'll do anything. I rescheduled for next month on June 15. I will deprive myself of sleep if I have to."

Besides, 24 is one point above the highest practice score you took. Unfortunately, that is an unrealistic way to gauge your potential score. You have to look at your average, which was about a 20. At a 20 average you should realistically expect 22-23 MAX. Sure, there are anecdotal accounts on this forum about people scoring 4+ points above their average, but, remember, they are just individual stories. Also keep in mind, usually actual scores will fall below the average due to lack of sleep and nerves. You need a very clear, realistic goal. I think playing the LSAT logic games would be a great way to train yourself to think quickly. I did a few of them when my sibling took the LSAT, and they're actually pretty fun in a challenging way.

Reactions: 2 users
For every practice exam that you took, did you review each and every question and why you got them wrong OR right? Practice and learning from practice is the best thing you can do to get ready for a standardized exam. Right now, I'm studying for Step 1, and large portion of my day consists of doing practice questions and then reviewing each question afterward. It's how I test whether I understand the concept or not.

I believe you said that your target score (in other words your goal, the score you hope to achieve) was 28. To refresh your memory:

"Me: If you're willing, what is your target score?
You: 28......please I'll do anything. I rescheduled for next month on June 15. I will deprive myself of sleep if I have to."

Besides, 24 is one point above the highest practice score you took. Unfortunately, that is an unrealistic way to gauge your potential score. You have to look at your average, which was about a 20. At a 20 average you should realistically expect 22-23 MAX. Sure, there are anecdotal accounts on this forum about people scoring 4+ points above their average, but, remember, they are just individual stories. Also keep in mind, usually actual scores will fall below the average due to lack of sleep and nerves. You need a very clear, realistic goal. I think playing the LSAT logic games would be a great way to train yourself to think quickly. I did a few of them when my sibling took the LSAT, and they're actually pretty fun in a challenging way.
hahahah now my goal is that...yes u r right...i thought u were mentioning the goal prior to taking it a 2nd time. fine i will try the lsat....believe me i know that u r only trying to advise me...but i am looking for anything just take take out my anger on others...and ur statement of "common sense" was the perfect excuse for me. put urself in my shoes for a second....imagine studying everything i mentioned previously....with no breaks...i never even went out anywhere for 4 months....just imagine. and then for someone to come and tell u that u have no common sense....it hurts and it's a slap in the face...and btw...read on i mentioned somewhere in the posts that i rescheduled for mid august. i don't think u deserve an apology but i will apologize to u only b/c u took ur time to respond to my dilemma. sorry if i offended u in any way :p

Members don't see this ad :)
For every practice exam that you took, did you review each and every question and why you got them wrong OR right? Practice and learning from practice is the best thing you can do to get ready for a standardized exam. Right now, I'm studying for Step 1, and large portion of my day consists of doing practice questions and then reviewing each question afterward. It's how I test whether I understand the concept or not.
yes i actually did that.....i know i'm being redundant....this is why i am dumbfounded....like i said a 22 or 23 would be realistic.....NOT A 17...i have finally recovered and i am going to start fresh....hopefully my advisor can give me some suggestions for study tactics, etc.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out....I have finally recovered now....I am going to start over....and this time if I don't score a 30 or higher on the practice exams...I will keep trying before I take the real exam. I have decided to read journals, read some lsat passages, do TONS of practice with EK 1001, and some qbank. i still feel a bit sad +pity+

Thanks to everyone who helped me out....I have finally recovered now....I am going to start over....and this time if I don't score a 30 or higher on the practice exams...I will keep trying before I take the real exam. I have decided to read journals, read some lsat passages, do TONS of practice with EK 1001, and some qbank. i still feel a bit sad +pity+

Naw lady! This is your chance to kick @$$! Find some excitement! You've got some new approaches, some new tools and you're going to do this!

Reactions: 1 users
hahahah now my goal is that...yes u r right...i thought u were mentioning the goal prior to taking it a 2nd time. fine i will try the lsat....believe me i know that u r only trying to advise me...but i am looking for anything just take take out my anger on others...and ur statement of "common sense" was the perfect excuse for me. put urself in my shoes for a second....imagine studying everything i mentioned previously....with no breaks...i never even went out anywhere for 4 months....just imagine. and then for someone to come and tell u that u have no common sense....it hurts and it's a slap in the face...and btw...read on i mentioned somewhere in the posts that i rescheduled for mid august. i don't think u deserve an apology but i will apologize to u only b/c u took ur time to respond to my dilemma. sorry if i offended u in any way :p

I understand the frustration. I have to say, make sure to have fun also! I've found from personal experience that when I shut myself in a room with little to no social interaction I tend to do worse than if I make time to go out and have fun. One's mental health should also count as a priority! You need to give your brain some time to breathe. Don't freak out. Be methodical. Be realistic. You'll be fine. Best of luck.

Hello everyone. Thank you for whoever took the time to read this. I am devastated, dumbfounded, so much more. I took the MCAT last year in April and I scored a 15. 2V, 6P, 7B. Last year I will admit I did not review any books. All I did was a few practice questions with each topic. I thought I knew the material well enough. This year I over-studied. I took the MCAT last month in April and I got a 17. 4V, 6P, 7B. I am speechless. Here is what I did for 4 straight months. I studied each day for 6-10 hours. I read all the Berkeley Review books TWICE (with notes) for Chemistry, Orgo, and Physics. I read ExamKrackers Biology TWICE (with notes). I watched the Golden Standard videos for each topic twice- a total of 32 hours (with notes). I did some of the Kaplan premier practice questions and exams. I took 6 out of the 9 AAMC exams and I scored 17, 19, 21, 22, 22, 23. I did not know what I was doing wrong. I went ahead and took the exam because it was too late for me to reschedule. I was hoping to get a 24 and apply to the early decision program. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND FOR THE LIFE OF ME how I got a 17. SOMEBODY please tell me what to do. I have to apply this year. Please. I will do anything. I cannot afford to take a class. I cannot study anymore. I have read the best rated books and even understood what I was reading. I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND HOWWWW. Should I just do the ExamKrackers 1001 questions for each topic along with the Kaplan Qbank???? Basically I have no other choice. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments. I am literally about to have a panic attack. I can't think of what this will look like on my application. Will Med School even accept me if I pass the 3rd time with previous scores of 15 and 17? HOW????? HOW did I get that???
First off, by reading your post I know what you did wrong because I was in the same shoes once. But I had higher scores. You are "Reading and Watching videos." Yes it is good to review the material, but you learn all of the material through questions.
Because the MCAT is passage based, you should skip the Passage and focus on discrete questions. If you can get your hands on EK1001 practice questions, you will learnt he material super well. So go buy it now and just start doing them. Once you get through the discrete questions, you practice passage questions =). Also if you can pick up the princeton hyperlearning, they are very expensive got them through a friend though.
Redue your AAMC exams chances are you wont even remember the answers.

Also, for verbal I did the Ek101 method scored a 4 - > 9
If you need my advice on verbal PM me.

DOnt give up. Relax now and then prepare for round 3. I took the MCAT 3 times and now I have interviews =).

So there is nothing wrong with taking the exam more than once.

Also I was working full time. I know it is tough, just push through it. I would get to work at 9 get off at 6 to 7pm. Then Study until 1 to 2am. Repeat. It was depressing but now I think back at it. It was totally worth it. I get to move on with my life, so can you. It is just a hurdle that needs to done for you to do what you want.

Sorry for my previous post, I did not see that. I want you to know that Verbal is a Pain the in the Asss even if you are a american born citizen. I was born in the US and my first MCAT verbal score was a 4, so do not give up. PM me if you need help!
I am positive I could have done much better than a 9 on my real verbal exam. However I missed 1 whole verbal passage because it was my weakest topic. Knowing that I could have done much better, even a 11 or 12! So do not give up, keep pushing!

Just remember why you are doing this This about the future, how happy you will be as a doctor =). Use this to push yourself everyday!

You just need to get a decent score and get into a med school., Does not matter if it is the big 4 Carb MD schools, US DO or US MD. Once you get in, the doors are opened to you. Your past MCAT will never matter and will prob never be mentioned.

Last edited:
Not a med student but did attempt the MCAT. I think you should relax and think positive and know that NOT DOING WELL ON MCAT AND NOT GOING TO MED SCHOOL IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. It doesn't make you any less of a fabulous person than those who got in. Good luck girlie
lol thanks....i know what u mean but really this is where my passion lies...i'm gona keep trying ;)

First off, by reading your post I know what you did wrong because I was in the same shoes once. But I had higher scores. You are "Reading and Watching videos." Yes it is good to review the material, but you learn all of the material through questions.
Because the MCAT is passage based, you should skip the Passage and focus on discrete questions. If you can get your hands on EK1001 practice questions, you will learnt he material super well. So go buy it now and just start doing them. Once you get through the discrete questions, you practice passage questions =). Also if you can pick up the princeton hyperlearning, they are very expensive got them through a friend though.

Also, for verbal I did the Ek101 method scored a 4 - > 9
If you need my advice on verbal PM me.

DOnt give up. Relax now and then prepare for round 3. I took the MCAT 3 times and now I have interviews =).

So there is nothing wrong with taking the exam more than once.

Also I was working full time. I know it is tough, just push through it. I would get to work at 9 get off at 6 to 7pm. Then Study until 1 to 2am. Repeat. It was depressing but now I think back at it. It was totally worth it. I get to move on with my life, so can you. It is just a hurdle that needs to done for you to do what you want.
YOU ARE AMAZING....as everyone else who posted on here....alright then I definitely just have a few questions for you...

The MCAT is a very tough exam. Half the people who take it get below a 24. If you are just going to do passive learning and just reading a book and listening to a few lectures, you won't do well.
But people in SDN would make someone think it is an easy exam. The MCAT is not an easy test by any means.

Members don't see this ad :)
But people in SDN would make someone think it is an easy exam. The MCAT is not an easy test by any means.
But nor is it an impossibly difficult exam. It's like any test: understand the material and the format, and study/prepare accordingly. I think it's just a broader type of exam than people are used to studying for. It's all about shifting your frame of reference and understanding what to tackle. :)

Reactions: 1 user
But nor is it an impossibly difficult exam. It's like any test: understand the material and the format, and study/prepare accordingly. I think it's just a broader type of exam than people are used to studying for. It's all about shifting your frame of reference and understanding what to tackle. :)
Lol yes u definitely have a point but let me just say something. I once read a funny meme that said "so what you're saying is that our professors are only capable of teaching us one subject, while we have to learn 4 different subjects and be able to apply the concepts all at the same time on the MCAT." :boom:Lol I just thought it was funny cuz it's pretty true. yea it's tough.

Life is not a race. I didn't read most of the thread - I stopped at all the maniacal insistence about applying now and being desperate. You need a mindset change first and foremost. After that you can regroup and start really preparing for this exam. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Life is not a race. I didn't read most of the thread - I stopped at all the maniacal insistence about applying now and being desperate. You need a mindset change first and foremost. After that you can regroup and start really preparing for this exam. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

I was not saying it is an impossible test, but before I took that MCAT I thought it was like any other exam. For instance, I am a RN and took an entrance test (NLN) for nursing school and I was able to score 90+ percentile without studying for even a minute... However, I had study for 3+ months so I could score a mid 20 in the MCAT. Also, being an ESOL did not help at all because I got hammered by VR...

Maybe I was naïve because when I saw people posting 35+ in SDN before I started studying for the MCAT, I said to myself if other people could score 35+, I should be able to score 30+ with 3-4 months of preparation...Boy! I was wrong!

Edit... I am not comparing nursing to medicine.

Last edited:
To help with the critical reading skills, if you can, pick up the book How to Read a Book, by Mortimer Adler. It shows how to read various types of literature in an active manner. If the books is too much, go to Shane Parrish's website farnamstreet.com and see the articles and section that he has dedicated to the actual book; they are similar to what Sparknotes study guides are for tough literature.

how does that make any sense at all? the MCAT is passage based so don't do passages?

And EK1001 is one of the worst practice resources out there...

The MCAT is by no means an easy exam. People often overrate how difficult it is though .. which is stupid considering it leads to many psyching themselves out before they even begin studying.

It's a test. Stop making it into a life-changing obstacle (even if it is one). That doesn't help.

did not read all posts, but Im guessing your problem was not reviewing and understanding the questions you got wrong. When I practice, I do one or two passages at a time and mark questions that I have doubts and then proceed to checking my answers. No point on doing 50 questions and then looking back to see what you scored instead of why you get them wrong and what you can do avoid it.

did not read all posts, but Im guessing your problem was not reviewing and understanding the questions you got wrong. When I practice, I do one or two passages at a time and mark questions that I have doubts and then proceed to checking my answers. No point on doing 50 questions and then looking back to see what you scored instead of why you get them wrong and what you can do avoid it.
haha...I did review them all......

Didn't read all the posts, so excuse me if this comes off as repetitive.

In your post you said that you read several books multiple times, on top of watching videos. How many of the actual questions did you do, and how long did you spend going over them? It seems like you used more of your time to read rather than attack problems.

The reason I ask is because when I was preparing for the test, most of my studies ended up being spent answering and reviewing questions rather than reviewing the material. In fact, for any given amount of time I answered problems, I would routinely spend double that time just to go over my answers thoroughly. If I had read all my books (Princeton Review) top to bottom twice, I couldn't imagine I'd have enough time to do the questions as well, let alone review them.

Also, 6-10 hours every single day for 4 months seems like the perfect storm for burnout.

Didn't read all the posts, so excuse me if this comes off as repetitive.

In your post you said that you read several books multiple times, on top of watching videos. How many of the actual questions did you do, and how long did you spend going over them? It seems like you used more of your time to read rather than attack problems.

The reason I ask is because when I was preparing for the test, most of my studies ended up being spent answering and reviewing questions rather than reviewing the material. In fact, for any given amount of time I answered problems, I would routinely spend double that time just to go over my answers thoroughly. If I had read all my books (Princeton Review) top to bottom twice, I couldn't imagine I'd have enough time to do the questions as well, let alone review them.

Also, 6-10 hours every single day for 4 months seems like the perfect storm for burnout.
I actually spent more time on the berkeley questions...ALL of them. I thought that would be enough practice for me, on top of the kaplan premier....this is why I'm confused about my score

how does that make any sense at all? the MCAT is passage based so don't do passages?

The MCAT is by no means an easy exam. People often overrate how difficult it is though .. which is stupid considering it leads to many psyching themselves out before they even begin studying.

It's a test. Stop making it into a life-changing obstacle (even if it is one). That doesn't help.
But overconfidence can also be bad... I was not saying that the MCAT is impossible. I was merely saying that people need to be realistic even if they see a lot 35+ here in SDN... 30+ is about 80 percentile and we all know the students who sit for the MCAT are better than the average college students since there have been some 'weed out' along the way.

How is the OP suppose to learn the concepts if she does not know the material?
Discrete questions will help you understand the material. Instead of trolling on SDN why don't you post some advice?
No where in my original post do I say "dont do discrete questions"
I indicated to work on discrete questions then move on to passage questions. Please L2Read

Last edited:
How is the OP suppose to learn the concepts if she does not know the material?
Discrete questions will help you understand the material. Instead of trolling on SDN why don't you post some advice?
No where in my original post do I say "dont do discrete questions"
I indicated to work on discrete questions then move on to passage questions. Please L2Read

trolling on SDN? lol. I posted a half dozen posts in this very thread and have over 1500 posts almost exclusively posting study tips and guides in this forum. I *think* I have a good grasp of what it takes to succeed on the MCAT given my own successes and the fact that I teach and tutor for it (and other standardized tests) fairly extensively.

concentrating on discrete questions is an absolutely terrible idea.

maybe you'll realize when you take the test that the MCAT isn't a content driven test and that has all kinds of implications as to how you should prepare for it. first, though, you should probably learn to read yourself. For instance, you failed to quote me properly which is quite hysterical given the original text was right in front of you.

You *literally* said that because the MCAT is passage based, you should "should skip the Passage." That doesn't even make sense, let alone qualify as sound advice. At no point in your studying should you forgo practice passages in favor of discretes.

trolling on SDN? lol. I posted a half dozen posts in this very thread and have over 1500 posts almost exclusively posting study tips and guides in this forum. I *think* I have a good grasp of what it takes to succeed on the MCAT given my own successes and the fact that I teach and tutor for it (and other standardized tests) fairly extensively.

concentrating on discrete questions is an absolutely terrible idea.

maybe you'll realize when you take the test that the MCAT isn't a content driven test and that has all kinds of implications as to how you should prepare for it. first, though, you should probably learn to read yourself. For instance, you failed to quote me properly which is quite hysterical given the original text was right in front of you.

You *literally* said that because the MCAT is passage based, you should "should skip the Passage." That doesn't even make sense, let alone qualify as sound advice. At no point in your studying should you forgo practice passages in favor of discretes.

Please reread what I said. I told the OP to ignore the passage for now and focus on discrete then move back on to passage. I have taken the MCAT. I even stated in this thread. So I do not know why you are still not reading.

Please reread what I said. I told the OP to ignore the passage for now and focus on discrete then move back on to passage. I have taken the MCAT. I even stated in this thread. So I do not know why you are still not reading.

And I think that is absolutely horrible advice. Not sure where the disconnect here is as I've said that plainly several times now.

The MCAT is far from a content-driven test. It's all about critical thinking and analysis.. and one of the best ways to develop such skills is through the passage-based questions. Not doing them consistently THROUGHOUT your prep is doing nothing but hurting you.

And I think that is absolutely horrible advice. Not sure where the disconnect here is as I've said that plainly several times now.

The MCAT is far from a content-driven test. It's all about critical thinking and analysis.. and one of the best ways to develop such skills is through the passage-based questions. Not doing them consistently THROUGHOUT your prep is doing nothing but hurting you.
I will agree with you on this. But the OP is trying to score mid 20s and not 30s. The issue is that she needs help, scoring below 20s indicates that the OP is missing a lot of fundamentals. So this is why I suggest doing discrete so she gains a strong knowledge of the fundamentals. You cannot expect her to just jump straight into passages without knowing the material. That would waste her time.

My two cents, balance is key. I think you should do both discretes and passages even while doing content review. Discrete questions are quick and let you know that you have the baseline down. Passage-based questions let you know that you are applying your baseline knowledge correctly by testing your comprehension/understanding of the content on a deeper level. In my book, it is not "either, or" as they are both testing the same fundamental knowledge, just at different levels.

My two cents, balance is key. I think you should do both discretes and passages even while doing content review. Discrete questions are quick and let you know that you have the baseline down. Passage-based questions let you know that you are applying your baseline knowledge correctly by testing your comprehension/understanding of the content on a deeper level. In my book, it is not "either, or" as they are both testing the same fundamental knowledge, just at different levels.

^^^^^
this

i do agree the OP has significant content weaknesses and their study plan should reflect that.. but I don't agree that concentrating on discretes are the way to address that issue.

Look man chill. Stuff happens. Look up SDN2ed's study guide, I used it 3-4 years ago when I took the MCAT and it made a huge difference.

I came to America when I was 3.....so technically I speak fluently....but yest English is my second language. Do you think it is just practice that I need? Do you recommend something other than EK or Kaplan Qbank?

I recommend you seriously consider other career options. With MCAT scores of 15 & 17 and a low GPA, you have little chance of matriculating into any MD or DO program; your inability to identify and correct your academic deficiencies strongly suggests that you will not find success in a medical training program. The fact that you even thought about taking the MCAT so soon after scoring approximately half of what average matriculates score indicates that you are unrealistic and perhaps naïve. I wish you the best. Good luck.

Last edited:
Your "study" time in learning/re-learning material is the gathering of the "vocabulary" needed to take the test. So when you read TBR or if you go through the EK 1001's, these are (in the figurative sense) ways to build your vocabulary. That is to say that anyone that takes the MCAT without being able to speak the "language" is not going to have a good time. Be sure that you are approaching your content with this in mind – this study time will never grant you a great MCAT score.

You gather the language and then you apply it to a testing mechanism. How do you learn about this testing style? By using resources that emulate this style. Again, reading through the TBR or TPR or EK or Kaplan books does not simulate this whatsoever. Watching 123 hours of GS videos doesn't do it either. You just have to sit down with passages. Are the passages, say, in the back of Kaplan a good simulation? Absolutely not. While they appear to be, they are still driving home the language required to understand the test – don't be fooled just because the passages are in a similar layout to the MCAT.

Learn the language. Realize you're learning the language. Then figure out how to use the language and apply it in an intellectual way. I feel like I've studied a million hours and through these million hours I've fallen on the belief that almost anyone that can get through the pre-requisite sciences courses could study and grind their way to at least a 30 on this test. So do I believe you can make a 30? Yes. But this doesn't mean you can do it in 3 months or even after a year. But eventually you can.

You seem adamant about applying this cycle, but I really encourage you to reconsider. If you're wanting to be successful in this game, you need to make absolutely certain of two things: 1) Take the MCAT only when you're ready; 2) Apply to medical schools only when you're ready. You're going to cause far more damage than could ever be justified if you go through both of those without being ready. Also, I didn't pay too much attention to the specifics of this thread but be aware that you can only do 3 tests in a year (this includes no-shows and voids as well).

You mentioned that your GPA was not great. If this is really the case, you may want to consider retaking some courses. Again, it's all a language and if you can't speak the language, how can you expect to do well on the test?

When you're going through problems, no matter what the sources is, make sure that you doing them under strictly timed conditions. Always review everything you do, and with your scores you need to review every single question (including the ones you got correct). Understand why you did or did not get a question right. In my own analysis of practice tests, most of the questions that I am missing are do due either a content knowledge gap/deficiency OR a timing problem. I get very few problems incorrect when time does not get in the way and when I don't have a knowledge gap. I feel this must be true for most people as well. So make sure you're really letting material seep into your mind and that you're really understanding the material. The MCAT covers a ton of material, but fortunately it doesn't really get deep into any of it.

If you're determined to become a physician, then I really think you gotta wise up about some things. Do not take the test until you are ready; do not apply until you are worthy of applying. This may be hard for you to accept, but there are many things about medicine that aren't easy to swallow. For example, it's a harsh reality that there are far more people applying to medical schools than there are seats available. Thousands of dreams are crushed every single year, plenty of them probably dedicated easily twice as much time as you. And then there are those than make a 38 and barely studied... If you are serious about becoming a physician, then realize when things are and when things aren't appropriate (like testing and applying). If you truly want to be a physician with all of your heart, then be content with the thought that it may take you 1 year to adequately prepare for testing/application or even three years. Otherwise you have some heartache in store for you very soon...

Bottom line: Don't test until you're ready. Don't apply until you're ready. Don't be afraid to dedicate much, much, much more of your life to this if it's truly what you want. And do not ever let someone tell you that you can't do it. Do I think you can? Sure. Do I think you will? I have no idea...

I recommend you seriously consider other career options. With MCAT scores of 15 & 17 and a low GPA, you have little chance of matriculating into any MD or DO program; your inability to identify and correct your academic deficiencies strongly suggests that you will not find success in a medical training program. The fact that you even thought about taking the MCAT so soon after scoring approximately half of what average matriculates score indicates that you are unrealistic and perhaps naïve. I wish you the best. Good luck.
I seriously recommend you not tell me to find other career options....I know a DOCTOR'S SON who failed 3 times and ended up get a 23 the 4th and still made it in!!!!!!!!! I wish YOU the best. Good luck with your life!

Your "study" time in learning/re-learning material is the gathering of the "vocabulary" needed to take the test. So when you read TBR or if you go through the EK 1001's, these are (in the figurative sense) ways to build your vocabulary. That is to say that anyone that takes the MCAT without being able to speak the "language" is not going to have a good time. Be sure that you are approaching your content with this in mind – this study time will never grant you a great MCAT score.

You gather the language and then you apply it to a testing mechanism. How do you learn about this testing style? By using resources that emulate this style. Again, reading through the TBR or TPR or EK or Kaplan books does not simulate this whatsoever. Watching 123 hours of GS videos doesn't do it either. You just have to sit down with passages. Are the passages, say, in the back of Kaplan a good simulation? Absolutely not. While they appear to be, they are still driving home the language required to understand the test – don't be fooled just because the passages are in a similar layout to the MCAT.

Learn the language. Realize you're learning the language. Then figure out how to use the language and apply it in an intellectual way. I feel like I've studied a million hours and through these million hours I've fallen on the belief that almost anyone that can get through the pre-requisite sciences courses could study and grind their way to at least a 30 on this test. So do I believe you can make a 30? Yes. But this doesn't mean you can do it in 3 months or even after a year. But eventually you can.

You seem adamant about applying this cycle, but I really encourage you to reconsider. If you're wanting to be successful in this game, you need to make absolutely certain of two things: 1) Take the MCAT only when you're ready; 2) Apply to medical schools only when you're ready. You're going to cause far more damage than could ever be justified if you go through both of those without being ready. Also, I didn't pay too much attention to the specifics of this thread but be aware that you can only do 3 tests in a year (this includes no-shows and voids as well).

You mentioned that your GPA was not great. If this is really the case, you may want to consider retaking some courses. Again, it's all a language and if you can't speak the language, how can you expect to do well on the test?

When you're going through problems, no matter what the sources is, make sure that you doing them under strictly timed conditions. Always review everything you do, and with your scores you need to review every single question (including the ones you got correct). Understand why you did or did not get a question right. In my own analysis of practice tests, most of the questions that I am missing are do due either a content knowledge gap/deficiency OR a timing problem. I get very few problems incorrect when time does not get in the way and when I don't have a knowledge gap. I feel this must be true for most people as well. So make sure you're really letting material seep into your mind and that you're really understanding the material. The MCAT covers a ton of material, but fortunately it doesn't really get deep into any of it.

If you're determined to become a physician, then I really think you gotta wise up about some things. Do not take the test until you are ready; do not apply until you are worthy of applying. This may be hard for you to accept, but there are many things about medicine that aren't easy to swallow. For example, it's a harsh reality that there are far more people applying to medical schools than there are seats available. Thousands of dreams are crushed every single year, plenty of them probably dedicated easily twice as much time as you. And then there are those than make a 38 and barely studied... If you are serious about becoming a physician, then realize when things are and when things aren't appropriate (like testing and applying). If you truly want to be a physician with all of your heart, then be content with the thought that it may take you 1 year to adequately prepare for testing/application or even three years. Otherwise you have some heartache in store for you very soon...

Bottom line: Don't test until you're ready. Don't apply until you're ready. Don't be afraid to dedicate much, much, much more of your life to this if it's truly what you want. And do not ever let someone tell you that you can't do it. Do I think you can? Sure. Do I think you will? I have no idea...
Thank you so much...you are absolutely right it is the language...

rian.linda, i think you rescheduled for august? I have read through this thread and I am pulling for you. to study for as long as you have and to not see results can be very frustrating! it sounds like you are determined to apply this year, if you choose not to apply may i recommend leonardo radomile for the verbal section, cambridge learning center. he is NOT cheap but he helped me tremendously with verbal, and i think having decent comprehension skills translates over to increasing your score in the science sections. to get comfortable using his method takes about 6months of daily practice so this would definitely be something to consider if you choose to hold off your application. what day are you testing? best of luck-please let us know how you do!

STFU if you aint got nothing inspiring to say. People like you make me sick!

Reactions: 2 users
rian.linda, i think you rescheduled for august? I have read through this thread and I am pulling for you. to study for as long as you have and to not see results can be very frustrating! it sounds like you are determined to apply this year, if you choose not to apply may i recommend leonardo radomile for the verbal section, cambridge learning center. he is NOT cheap but he helped me tremendously with verbal, and i think having decent comprehension skills translates over to increasing your score in the science sections. to get comfortable using his method takes about 6months of daily practice so this would definitely be something to consider if you choose to hold off your application. what day are you testing? best of luck-please let us know how you do!
thank you :))) i have actutally rescheduled for september....and i canceled my application....i wish i could describe the amount of studying i did to only go up 2 points....but i wlll definitly look into that!!!!

So do you have hope for me??????what are you trying to tell me.....that if I do more practice I have a chance?????????????
Im so glad I saw this! When I took the practice MCAT my first score was a 17. Then I got a 19, and a 23. I just took another practice exam 3 days ago and for a 35.

My advice. DO NOT CONTINUE READING FOR CONTENT. it is not necessary. Honestly, with a little background knowledge, you can reason your way through most mcat problems. Do exam kracker questions over and over and over again until you can almost recite them in your head. Thats what I did, and I jumped by 18 points on my mcat... I didn't even know that was possible. When I stared off, I was doing mostly content. I reread 5 books twice, with highlighting and side notes (highly unnessary). 70% of the content I studied ended up being useless for the exams. The most important thing, is to get a very basic and general understanding of physics and bio. As you do more practice problems, your reasoning and way of approaching questions will change.

I was sooo like you omg! I thought something was seriously wrong with me because I spent countless hours studying content, only to get a 17-25. Do NOTHING BUT PRACTICE PROBLEMS. especially from exam krackers. also watch animated youtube videos for biology. they really helped me!