I am devastated, need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saildawg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I just got my scores and got a 24M (7PS,8VR,9BS). I am disapointed b/c I was getting 27-30 on the practice tests. I took the kaplan course and all the aamc exams. I want to start a new practice routine for August, I am thinking of using examkrackers. Any thoughts, do I have enough time?

Members don't see this ad.

Id definetely use EK, I found that kaplan really didnt help me much either. Best of luck to you. Im sure youll do great!

saildawg said:
Hey Guys,
I just got my scores and got a 24M (7PS,8VR,9BS). I am disapointed b/c I was getting 27-30 on the practice tests. I took the kaplan course and all the aamc exams. I want to start a new practice routine for August, I am thinking of using examkrackers. Any thoughts, do I have enough time?

I'm in the same boat, and so are many others, TPR didn't do me much good. Don't be discouraged by all the +35 out there, only people who did well posted their scores, the rest didn't, and some are just plain bs.

frank51 said:
I'm in the same boat, and so are many others, TPR didn't do me much good. Don't be discouraged by all the +35 out there, only people who did well posted their scores, the rest don't, and some are just plain bs.

Agreed, I am in the same boat as well my man.

BTW 35+ doesn't guarantee anything, I know of someone who scored 37 and did not accepted to a few schools! Besides there are quite a few ppl. here who got rejected even with high scores! So chill

Members don't see this ad :)
Premedtomed said:
Agreed, I am in the same boat as well my man.

BTW 35+ doesn't guarantee anything, I know of someone who scored 37 and did not accepted to a few schools! Besides there are quite a few ppl. here who got rejected even with high scores! So chill

It sure is great to know that you can score very high and still get rejected. :thumbdown:

FIRST you need to asses if you studied enough meaning did you do enough problems, practice exams, and put into it enough time. If your answer is YES then you more than likely were extremely nervous or it is a timing issue. If your answer is NO then buckle down and set up some schedule and stick to it no matter what. I took TPR and used the EK books giving me two different views of prep stuff. Did you do all the TPR problems? did you go back once you did your practice exams and analyzed WHY you put down correct AND incorrect answers? you can learn from both for guessing a right answer is NOT the same as knowing and understanding the concept.

saildawg said:
Hey Guys,
Don't worry!! I made in the low 20s as well!! I'm not devestated, though!! I am happy because it could be MUCH worse. I am still applying early decision with this score and I'll pray that I get in. I'll retake in August and just move on. That's all you can do.. YOu can't dwell on it and feel bad. We'll do better next time.. It was my first time, so I don't feel so bad!! It'll be funny when I get in with my score and people are retaking with 30s!!! :) I have much faith!!!

I'm with you too. I can't believe how off the Kaplan stuff is it gave me false hope too. Good luck with everything.

That is why it is best to always stay humble and never ever assume anything. I remember thinking OMG if I get a 29 or above I will be soooo very happy, then OMG if I get into ONE school I will be so very happy, and now I think OMG if I can make it through medical school I will be so happy...

yeah kaplan is off and outdated. I scored much lower on the actual than my practice ones.

The main thing I hate about the Kaplan tests is that no one knows how they scale their tests. You can miss 20+ on PS and still get a 11. Gives you a false sense of how your score is going to be.

I'm in the same boat (SS Titanic) I am thinking of doing more practice exams (maybe TPR this time) and maybe trying the audio osmosis???? Has anyone had any experience with the ao????

Definitely do EK! Make sure to buy their 1001 series books. Very helpful. Lots of practice.

I took a Kaplan classroom course for the August MCAT:29

I used EK material (no classroom course) for the April MCAT:36

EK is great.

Studying a second time is easier. Just remember that. You already know all the breadth of material. You just have to review it so you can spend the majority of your time doing lots of practice problems. Good luck. I feel your pain.

frank51 said:
I'm in the same boat, and so are many others, TPR didn't do me much good. Don't be discouraged by all the +35 out there, only people who did well posted their scores, the rest didn't, and some are just plain bs.

Yeah, agreed. For what it counts, you're being prudent in getting advice, as opposed to jsut being pissed and unhappy only as many are, I imagine.

Best wishes in August.

yo, I'm just chipping in my two cents here; I think if you have the TPR books and materials study thoughs day-in day-out starting now. Also, repeat your exams, doing them 3-4 times each. This will increase your speed and comprehension. As for EK, I think it's useless, they have nice diagrams and colorful pictures, but all and all they miss a lot of practice material which is neccessary. Note that the person that praised them asked to get the 1001 series books, which technically isn't even part of the course material. There mini-mcats are a joke for practice. I can't imagine anyone doing well without buy their 1001 books. As for verbal, they're geniuses. They did a damn good job of preparing exams in the 101 verbal book. I bought this "online-kaplan test bank" for $100. It was the biggest pos. I email them every now and then to remind them of how bad their material is. Alright I hope this helped. remember do all the TPR material, I mean all of it, several times. Also do the AAMC practice exams over and over again. good luck.