I am having trouble with my GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClarkKentofPreMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to start off by saying that I have received my GED diploma at the age of 21. English is my second language. I wasn't born in the US. I have also started my college career at a local SUNY community college and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I struggled with grades and I took a total of 74.5 credits with an overall 2.8 GPA over the course of 3 1/2 years. Then I transferred to a local 4 year SUNY college and have taken 69 credits so far with an overall 3.93 GPA over the course of 2 years. Currently my overall GPA combined of these two schools are 3.36 and when I graduate the highest GPA I can attain is 3.45. At the moment I am signed up for MCAT which I will be taking this upcoming January. I am also signed up for 6 credits this semester. I'm majoring in Biology and minoring in Chemistry. My concern is how can I convince my professors at community college to give me a W or is there another way? I can also speak to the dean. I planning on only applying for MD in the states and nothing else. I do not plan on applying to any DO schools. If I can get W in 3-4 classes... I would be able to have an overall GPA of 3.6-3.7. I am really trying my best and would like your input on this? This is really bothering me and it is hard to focus. Even if I get a really high score in the MCAT assuming 35+ and have a 3.45 GPA over all... What would be my chances at an MD school in the US? Stony Brook?

During my community college years I lost my grandmother and my family is poor... My parents income is 14,000$ yearly and there are us 4 boys. I am the younger one. Financially we suffered a lot especially throughout my teenage years. I just turned 27 and I'm graduating next year at the age of 28. These are some of the reasons why I suffered my community college years. When I was young... I was racially and sexually abused by my middle school principal and their staff. I was very young and I never told my parents about it and kept it to myself so it was never reported. I am not perfect but I am trying my best. Professors do have the power to assign W even after the course is taken and so does the dean. What should I say or do now to better my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm still an applicant, so take this with a grain of salt...

I think that your high upward trend is something adcoms will see and take note of. There are people who get in with those stats, so just focus on what you do have control over: the MCAT. If you knock that out of the park and you have a very high upward trend, it should be a favorable combination!

Also, I'm not sure you can get Ws after completing the class, it's only of you withdraw during the class. Also, those are not looked on too favorably by adcoms either. Just work hard on what you can change, and talk to advisers to figure out the best way to put together your application/school list

I'm still an applicant, so take this with a grain of salt...

I think that your high upward trend is something adcoms will see and take note of. There are people who get in with those stats, so just focus on what you do have control over: the MCAT. If you knock that out of the park and you have a very high upward trend, it should be a favorable combination!

Also, I'm not sure you can get Ws after completing the class, it's only of you withdraw during the class. Also, those are not looked on too favorably by adcoms either. Just work hard on what you can change, and talk to advisers to figure out the best way to put together your application/school list
The professors or dean can still assign W

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming a 35+ MCAT is not something we do. Everyone shoots for that kind of score but few actually achieve it. We can only advise you based on your current merits. That said, given your story and upward trend, a good (30+) MCAT would make you competitive. Remember to avoid anything that comes off as an excuse. Also, why completely write off DO?

Assuming a 35+ MCAT is not something we do. Everyone shoots for that kind of score but few actually achieve it. We can only advise you based on your current merits. That said, given your story and upward trend, a good (30+) MCAT would make you competitive. Remember to avoid anything that comes off as an excuse. Also, why completely write off DO?

I got bad grades in a community college... A lot of C and C+... It brought down my community college GPA to 2.8... By getting W in 3-4 classes... It would bring my overall current GPA from 3.36 to 3.57 and I would then graduate with 3.6-3.7... I want to become a neurosurgeon. I have watched YouTube videos of kaplanMCAT and they invited selection committee of different schools and they say a person needs to have at least a 3.5 GPA. The highest I could get mine to be is 3.45 without any W. Its a personal choice on not pursuing a DO degree.

EC:
620 hours research at organic chemistry lab.
100 hours shadowing an internal medicine who also is a cardiologist.
I plan on shadowing a neurosurgeon after I take the MCAT.
I have volunteered about 500 hours at a local hospital.
I have been on the highest academic list for past 4 semesters consecutively.
I have just been nominated for a cancer research out of state for 9 months so if I get picked that would be really nice. Its fully paid on scholarship.
I have also won a scholarship.
I volunteered to tutor organic chemistry on my free time to fellow students.

ECs are good. And no, that is wrong. Plenty of people get accepted with a 3.45.
https://www.aamc.org/download/321518/data/2013factstable25-4.pdf
Come back with an MCAT score and we can help with a list. As a side note, you will want to avoid limiting yourself to neurosurgery. Adcoms often won't want to hear that. But it is perfectly ok to say it is something you would like to explore further in medical school.

Reactions: 1 user