I am on 4 friggin waitlists and...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulM.D.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what some people do if they don't get into med school? I mean grad school applications are long due, and it is something i really dont want to do. What do you guys recommend? Any type of job etc.?

I am going to try to be optimistic, but I really am wondering what my backup plan should be. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

hopefulM.D. said:
I am wondering what some people do if they don't get into med school? I mean grad school applications are long due, and it is something i really dont want to do. What do you guys recommend? Any type of job etc.?

I am going to try to be optimistic, but I really am wondering what my backup plan should be. :scared:

did you already write a letter of intent to your top choice and strong letters of interest to the other waitlist schools?

as far as jobs, I had heard that the best type of job to get for a year off is doing clinical research at a hospital or medical school. the money's not great (from what I have heard...) but the experience is huge.
best of luck~

NeverGettingIn said:
did you already write a letter of intent to your top choice and strong letters of interest to the other waitlist schools?

as far as jobs, I had heard that the best type of job to get for a year off is doing clinical research at a hospital or medical school. the money's not great (from what I have heard...) but the experience is huge.
best of luck~

I did write strong loi's, but i am not sure if i want to write a letter of intent. I kind of want to keep my options open. Anyways, how do I go about doing clinical research at a hospital or at a medical school?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
hopefulM.D. said:
I did write strong loi's, but i am not sure if i want to write a letter of intent. I kind of want to keep my options open. Anyways, how do I go about doing clinical research at a hospital or at a medical school?

Thanks

I think you have a really good chance of getting in somewhere with your 4 waitlists. unfortunately, you most likely will have to wait til after may 15 to hear back though...
in the meantime write your letter of intent to your top choice and letters of interest to the rest.

Ummm I also have a related question. Does anyone know if a school is allowed to force you to give up your waitlist positions at other schools? or is it always true that you can basically keep your waitlist positions up until the date you matriculate...? thanks!

ardemus said:
Ummm I also have a related question. Does anyone know if a school is allowed to force you to give up your waitlist positions at other schools? or is it always true that you can basically keep your waitlist positions up until the date you matriculate...? thanks!

I don't think another schools can force you to give up waitlist spots. You should be able to stay on multiple waitlists until you matriculate. See rule 10 from the AMCAS Acceptance Procedures List:

"Immediately upon enrollment in, or initiation of an orientation program immediately prior to enrollment at, a U.S. or Canadian school, each applicant withdraw his or her application from consideration at all other schools at which he or she remains under consideration."

Hope that helps.

hopefulM.D. said:

Many of the Special Masters Programs are still accepting applications. Check out the post-bacc forum for more information