I can't decide if I really want to be a physician...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thill26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently a freshman in college and have am on a pre-med track. Well every now and then I get these mixed feelings about whether or not I want this or something else. Usually, I'm pretty set on it and excited to make it as a physician. But on occasion, I get a different outlook and consider other professions. I just really want to decide now so I don't waste these 4 years of undergrad.
Here's my reasons for wanting to become a doctor:
  • I love helping others and making them feel good. Honestly, I've lived my life just trying to help out others and feel that as a doctor I can do that on a different medium.
  • Solid work hours for specialties I'm interested in (other than surgery)
  • Very STABLE and large income, be able to provide for my family, pay back loans, and live comfortably
  • Medical school is something to accomplish. I'd love to conquer that challenge and become the first doctor in my family.
  • I really enjoy learning about the human body and people.
  • Ability to own your own practice

Now today is one of those days I'm just not feeling it. I'd rather take my chances in the business world or as an entrepreneur.
Reasons for that are:
  • Make a ton of money, possibly
  • Not as much arduous schooling
  • I've grown up around business and entrepreneurs (father and various family and friends) and have connections
  • I could see myself as an executive
  • Also enjoy learning and executing business
But if I go the business route, I sacrifice some very important reasonings such as a STABLE, sizable income, which is most certainly not guaranteed or easily achieved in business. Work hours probably would be 10-15 per day. I'm not really accomplishing anything I feel, unless I start up my own business and it's successful. And most importantly, I don't see a way I could help other people.

I just get really flustered sometimes thinking about this because I'm pretty indecisive. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes folks say that if you can see yourself doing anything else, then don't do it. People second guess whether or not they should really pursue medicine all the time, though. I personally think that if you just want to accomplish something, graduate from college :horns: (seriously, all jokes aside) because many people don't and many people don't even go to college . That's an accomplishment, isn't it? So what's really the issue? Is it the amount of schooling that is required to become an M.D?

Go into business, volunteer on the side and feel accomplished. If you can see yourself doing anything else besides medicine, don't go into medicine. There are a lot of unhappy physicians who would trade it all, salaries included, to reset the clock.

Edit: Superpom_7 is dead on. It's said quite often for a good reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not about the amount of schooling at all. I just get a change of heart maybe once every couple of months that lasts for a couple hours or a day or two. After that, I'm right back knowing that medicine is right.

It may have something to do with my recent diagnosis of adhd. I'm just now getting treatment and it seems that these feelings aren't occuring very much anymore.

If you didn't question becoming a physician you would be crazy. The process, debt, medical malpractice, and many other factors are daunting. If you never once second guessed yourself, you would be ignorant. However, the negatives are far less then the positives in this field if you truly desire to help others.

With great risk comes great reward.

Reactions: 1 user
You could be an engineer that volunteers at a health clinic and that would satisfy all your reason of being a doctor except the "I want to be called a doctor and accomplish medical school" - which aren't very good reasons.

Some chemE start off at 100+k... That's without 250k of med school tuition, and 8 years of training.

By the way - lots of specialities don't always have set hours.

I would wait because who knows if you will be successful in either... Getting in med school isn't easy and becoming an entrepreneur isn't easy either...

Your concern is why it's really important to shadow doctors. Get out there and get a sense of what being a doctor is all about.