I can't figure out how my interview went..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

partypantss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, earlier this week I had my first interview at one of my state schools. I was not as nervous as I thought I would be, and the interviewer really helped ease my nerves by being pretty laid back (I wasn't even sitting behind a desk and he opened the interview by telling me how he is here for me, not the school.) But, after reflecting on the interview, a lot of things seemed strange..

For one, he spent a large amount of time talking about how medicine is being ruined by business types taking over and deciding treatments for people. We were on this subject for probably about a third to a half of the interview (although it was a long interview, about an hour and a half total.) The interviewer never really gave me any chances to respond, so that entire time all I could really do was nod and give small phrases of agreement.

He also pointed out how in my application I gave an emphasis to my passion towards diagnostics and then proceeded to explain how diagnostic physicians are being wiped out from increasing regulation and that there is less and less thinking involved in medicine and basically implied that I have no place in modern medicine...

Also, I have a parent who is a long time faculty member/ researcher at the school. When mentioning the parent, it was all positive, however, later when "why this school" came up, the interviewer said how in his opinion, I shouldn't go to this school since I have a parent on faculty and other students may not like me for that.. He said this even though he had spent time already talking about how great certain aspects of the school are.

Overall, I didn't have many chances to say much at all, however the interviewer gave off very positive/ supportive vibes throughout the interview. He seemed to genuinely be giving me advice and enjoyed talking to me. He was VERY knowledgeable about my application, he seamed to know every detail. He even walked me back to the admissions office and said he would take the long way and show me some other parts of the building that I had not seen.

So, what does this sound like to you guys? The more I think about the interview, the more confused I get. The focus did not seem to be on getting more information from me, but rather it was time for him to give me advice/ discuss the current state of the field...

Members don't see this ad.

So, earlier this week I had my first interview at one of my state schools. I was not as nervous as I thought I would be, and the interviewer really helped ease my nerves by being pretty laid back (I wasn't even sitting behind a desk and he opened the interview by telling me how he is here for me, not the school.) But, after reflecting on the interview, a lot of things seemed strange..

For one, he spent a large amount of time talking about how medicine is being ruined by business types taking over and deciding treatments for people. We were on this subject for probably about a third to a half of the interview (although it was a long interview, about an hour and a half total.) The interviewer never really gave me any chances to respond, so that entire time all I could really do was nod and give small phrases of agreement.

He also pointed out how in my application I gave an emphasis to my passion towards diagnostics and then proceeded to explain how diagnostic physicians are being wiped out from increasing regulation and that there is less and less thinking involved in medicine and basically implied that I have no place in modern medicine...

Also, I have a parent who is a long time faculty member/ researcher at the school. When mentioning the parent, it was all positive, however, later when "why this school" came up, the interviewer said how in his opinion, I shouldn't go to this school since I have a parent on faculty and other students may not like me for that.. He said this even though he had spent time already talking about how great certain aspects of the school are.

Overall, I didn't have many chances to say much at all, however the interviewer gave off very positive/ supportive vibes throughout the interview. He seemed to genuinely be giving me advice and enjoyed talking to me. He was VERY knowledgeable about my application, he seamed to know every detail. He even walked me back to the admissions office and said he would take the long way and show me some other parts of the building that I had not seen.

So, what does this sound like to you guys? The more I think about the interview, the more confused I get. The focus did not seem to be on getting more information from me, but rather it was time for him to give me advice/ discuss the current state of the field...
Honestly, I clicked this thread hoping to give you an answer, but now I'm confused as well.

Reactions: 1 user
There really is no point in trying to decipher how an interview went. I thought my first one was fantastic, and I haven't heard from them in nearly 3.5 months. Many other people will tell you that theirs went horribly but they were accepted immediately. I agree his behavior is a little strange, but it's just going to drive you crazy trying to read his mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
One interpretation could be that the interviewer talked about being for you and not for the school so that when you get rejected (if you get rejected or eternally waitlisted) you'll still think highly of him even if you end up hating the school. He also was trying to tell you that the type of medicine you wish to practice is becoming extinct, to his dismay, and so you shouldn't feel too bad if you aren't able to study medicine since it won't turn out to be what you had hoped. That's preparing you to see a silver lining if you don't get admitted there (or anywhere). And furthermore, he explicitly said that he didn't believe that you would have a good experience at that school because other students would resent you. He might has well handed you the sour grapes you'll need when the thin envelope arrives telling you that you didn't get in.

On the other hand, you could get admitted tomorrow....

Every single interviewee is HORRIBLE at judging their own interview performance.

Don't stress out, just wait for the decision, and try to identify areas of improvement for your next interview.

One interpretation could be that the interviewer talked about being for you and not for the school so that when you get rejected (if you get rejected or eternally waitlisted) you'll still think highly of him even if you end up hating the school. He also was trying to tell you that the type of medicine you wish to practice is becoming extinct, to his dismay, and so you shouldn't feel too bad if you aren't able to study medicine since it won't turn out to be what you had hoped. That's preparing you to see a silver lining if you don't get admitted there (or anywhere). And furthermore, he explicitly said that he didn't believe that you would have a good experience at that school because other students would resent you. He might has well handed you the sour grapes you'll need when the thin envelope arrives telling you that you didn't get in.

On the other hand, you could get admitted tomorrow....

That was a very clever interpretation, thank you. It's true, he did also mention plans for if I don't get in this cycle.. But, if he knew I wasn't going to be getting in, why would they be interviewing me in the first place? Just as a courtesy to my parent on faculty so they can say they gave me a chance? I know you can't possibly know the answer.. it's just frustrating.

Every single interviewee is HORRIBLE at judging their own interview performance.

Don't stress out, just wait for the decision, and try to identify areas of improvement for your next interview.

Your right, I always try to tell myself not to focus on things out of my control, but that's easier said than done. The way the interview went was just so unexpected that I hoped maybe other people would recognize whatever happened.

Thank you for the advice.

That was a very clever interpretation, thank you. It's true, he did also mention plans for if I don't get in this cycle.. But, if he knew I wasn't going to be getting in, why would they be interviewing me in the first place? Just as a courtesy to my parent on faculty so they can say they gave me a chance? I know you can't possibly know the answer.. it's just frustrating.

This may be what happened. Or you are a very reasonable candidate in terms of stats and experiences and you will get admitted but the faculty member, having seen this before, feels you'd be better served going elsewhere if you have that option.

Things like this make me prefer the MMI even more over the traditional interview. I mean I had an interviewer ask me how many children I wanted to have? Whether I believed in true love? Why I didn't have whatever traditional accent people like me are supposed to have?

How do questions like this judge whether or not someone is capable of handling medical school?

To the OP, I agree with all the above in that you can't give a 100% accurate interpretation of an interview from your end. AdComs will, of course, know better than us pre-meds based on experience.

Things like this make me prefer the MMI even more over the traditional interview. I mean I had an interviewer ask me how many children I wanted to have? Whether I believed in true love? Why I didn't have whatever traditional accent people like me are supposed to have?

Wow that's bizarre.. Yes I agree, from what I have heard about them I think I would definitely prefer to do a MMI as well. Thinking on my feet is something I'm generally good at.. I hope I get the opportunity to do one this cycle.

I have come to the conclusion that it is simply impossible to determine the impact a given interview will have on admissions, and you will drive yourself crazy if you even try.

Had one interviewer that interrupted me and dominated the discussion, I figured it might be a waitlist or rejection. Actual result: acceptance. Since then I've talked to some people who know him and it's just his personality. We (applicants) are really bad a predicting how it went.

Interviewees are really poor at assessing how their interviews went.

So forget all about this one and move on to the next.

I just try not to think about it... it's all out of your hands now so just sit back and wait for them decisions. I just recently was wait-listed at a school where I thought I had my BEST interview ... there's so many factors that make up a decision that maybe I really did dominate the interview, but that doesn't make me better than the 4.0 39 fijian who did as well. Just gotta keep on keepin on

At the end of the day, you will never know how you did. I received compliments and declared statements as such, "I will definitely put a word in for you, I wish we could accept you today." = Waitlisted. Again, you will never know.

There are only 2 possible classifications for interview outcomes: "good enough to get you in" and "not good enough to get you in".
You can only find out which class you fall into when you hear back from the schools.
Good luck!

I read that a justification of MMI is that most interviewers don't change their opinion of the person after the first 5 minutes, so if you felt that he liked you from the start, then that might be good and he just spent the rest of the time trying to talk about whatever was on his mind.