I did bad in HS, is MD still possible?

k12123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While medical schools dont consider high school grades, i'm concerned about my performance in undergrad. I'm currently a senior in HS and i'm on my last semester. I'm going to a cal state university (a small state school). My GPA is 2.7. I made a lot of mistakes and chose to procrastinate heavily and not take all of my classes as seriously as i could have. I'm worried about my performance in college, although i know that i will eliminate all the distractions around me and work my hardest to maintain a high GPA. In addition, i decided to get a head start and for spring break, i've already been accepted to an internship program, which lasts for a week. Also, I've applied to several hospitals for the summer and will soon ask several physicians for shadowing opportunities. This time i'm trying to do things right. I want an MD not for the money, but because it's what i really wanna do for the rest of my life. Do you guys think i still have a shot at an MD? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, medical schools dont care about high school gpa just dont have that GPA in college and you will be fine, sounds like your on the right track with your EC's. Just study hard get good grades and stay focused. also, so you know the difference between MD and DO?

Yes, medical schools dont care about high school gpa just dont have that GPA in college and you will be fine, sounds like your on the right track with your EC's. Just study hard get good grades and stay focused. also, so you know the difference between MD and DO?

First off, thanks for the positive comment. AndY yes, i did some research and i'm just more captivated by MD. This might sound cliché but thinking about going to medical school one day and having an MD just motivates me especially with school work. I guess i just needed some sort of motivation in high school to get me going, it's just that it came late considering it's already my senior year. Fortunately though, i still have my whole undergrad ahead of me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well stay focused, your going to need too. and don't rule out DO you never know..

Um, I don't think I got a single A in high school - which, considering I was nowhere near any honors or AP classes, is saying a lot.

It doesn't matter. Nobody cares. You'll be fine. Just work hard.

Also, your ECs during high school don't matter much either. But both grades and ECs matter as soon as you start college.

Of course you do. But remember, if you're going to procrastinate at med. school, you're in for a whooping.

I failed chemistry in eighth grade. I am not a genius, far from one, very far. I have never been getting A's on conveyor belts like some people seem to be doing. Still, I am one of the most well regarded students in my school.

Willpower, my friend.

Just work your ass off. I did so bad in HS that I couldn't get into any college. I think my only A's in all of HS were in Algebra 1 & 2 and Chemistry, that's not an exaggeration. I had to go to a community college first and then I transferred to the University of Texas. It's all about priorities, once I had a goal (becoming a Dr.) it became very easy for me to make all A's. Just keep the end goal in mind and you will do just fine.

Also, a little advice that really helped me. Look at studying like a job, a nine to five job. Study the same few hours every day and treat it like you would be fired if you started a minute late. Just sit down and crack open the chemisty book, even if you feel you're ahead. Don't miss a single shift.

Also, pre read and note your chapters before lecture in all science classes. That works best for me. I take notes on all the material in the book prior to class and then I supplement those notes with material from class. Don't be the guy that never reads the book, the density of material in real college science classes is to great to only go over the slides. You'll only get the whole picture by studying more than is taught in lecture.

Anyhow, good luck with your quest.

I had a 3.05 in high school and ranked 500/700 in my class. I'm now top 10% of my medical school class. No one cares what you do in high school.

Just work your ass off. I did so bad in HS that I couldn't get into any college. I think my only A's in all of HS were in Algebra 1 & 2 and Chemistry, that's not an exaggeration. I had to go to a community college first and then I transferred to the University of Texas. It's all about priorities, once I had a goal (becoming a Dr.) it became very easy for me to make all A's. Just keep the end goal in mind and you will do just fine.

Also, a little advice that really helped me. Look at studying like a job, a nine to five job. Study the same few hours every day and treat it like you would be fired if you started a minute late. Just sit down and crack open the chemisty book, even if you feel you're ahead. Don't miss a single shift.

Also, pre read and note your chapters before lecture in all science classes. That works best for me. I take notes on all the material in the book prior to class and then I supplement those notes with material from class. Don't be the guy that never reads the book, the density of material in real college science classes is to great to only go over the slides. You'll only get the whole picture by studying more than is taught in lecture.

Anyhow, good luck with your quest.

thanks for the advice. and yeah, things appear to be easier with motivation. and you too, gl!

I had a 3.05 in high school and ranked 500/700 in my class. I'm now top 10% of my medical school class. No one cares what you do in high school.

really? how did u reshape urself? what did u do in undergrad that was significantly different? is it the structure or environment of college? I mean because I hear some ppl who doesn't do well in high school but are exceptional when it comes to undergrad because they like the independent layout. overall, what helped u the most in undergrad? thank you.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]well although med schools doesn't care about high school GPAs, I think you still need to focus on your studies and aim for a higher grade. That will serve as your stepping stone towards your career in the real world. .

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]well although med schools doesn't care about high school GPAs, I think you still need to focus on your studies and aim for a higher grade. That will serve as your stepping stone towards your career in the real world. .

Will do, and yes I am working on that this semester. I'm working hard to keep senioritis from getting to me. I figure, since it's my last semester, why not make it count? So yeah, i just hope that i do well in undergrad in the fall.

really? how did u reshape urself? what did u do in undergrad that was significantly different? is it the structure or environment of college? I mean because I hear some ppl who doesn't do well in high school but are exceptional when it comes to undergrad because they like the independent layout. overall, what helped u the most in undergrad? thank you.

HS performance has nothing to do with college or medical school performance. Any B or C that I have ever made was a direct result of being lazy, and it had nothing to do with my intelligence.

High grades are rarely anything more than continued hard work. That's about it. It's what medical schools want more than anything.

On a side note. I bet that >80% of the people who matriculate into college, with hopes of getting to medical school, never even apply to medical school when the time comes.

On a side note. I bet that >80% of the people who matriculate into college, with hopes of getting to medical school, never even apply to medical school when the time comes.

Really? What would u say the reason is for them not to apply? Maybe they have gotten lazy and not acquired the grades that they needed because they lost sight of their plans and motivation?

Really? What would u say the reason is for them not to apply? Maybe they have gotten lazy and not acquired the grades that they needed because they lost sight of their plans and motivation?

Pick a reason and you will hear it. People have grand ideas of becoming a doctor, and it's not until they have made it past O-Chem II, Biochem, Cell Bio, etc that they realize what they are even getting themselves into. Also, people mature a grow up, and decide to go a different course. Then there's the people that can't make grades or can't score well on the MCAT.

Like I said, pick a reason. There's a reason why 2000 freshman took Gen chem a semester.. Only to have 600 or so finish O-chem II. Then 100 people are sitting in the higher level science classes during year 3 and 4.

I graduated HS 52nd out of 53 people and I'm starting med school in the fall. It's all about your college grades, EC's, and MCAT.

Just get good grades, have some fun, and everything else will fall into place, whether that's medicine or some other career.

my HS gpa was a 3.0 something. End of freshman year I decided to try to get into med school and now i have a 3.64 cumulative and 3.8 sci gpa. Anything is possible in college, but don't forget to have a good time also.