I didn't get into dental school this cycle...now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordiieb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from Binghamton University May 2014. I took a gap year to study for the DAT, take the time to apply to schools without the stress of my undergraduate courses. I got a 17 on the DAT and had ~3.0 GPA. I knew my grades were not competitive, however I took the leap to apply to the northeast schools anyways to see what my chances were. I could not imagine having a second year off from schooling. With this, I did not get accepted into any of the schools. I have great experience in many dental offices and I do volunteer work. I have been working since September at an orthodontic practice as an assistant where I get to work on patients in some degrees and I have loved it. However, with this academic year coming to a close, it is time for me to buckle down and figure out my next moves...I believe I should retake some of my science pre-requisite courses over the summer/fall/spring semesters (where I was told I can take at my community college (Nassau CC)) and retake the DAT. Is anyone else in this same position as me? I am incredibly stressed about having to take yet another gap year. Is anyone doing any abroad volunteering or doing any kind of research they know if with positions available. I live on LI but am willing to travel to Manhattan if anyone has any recommendations of what to do to build up my resume so I can get into dental school for the 2016 cycle! Thank you all and good luck to everyone else out there!

Members don't see this ad.

With your GPA, you need to do a formal post-bac that focus strongly on Bio-medical sciences (do well & get 4.0GPA). There are also SMP out there will either guarantee you dental interview or admission into their DDS/DMD program with specific requirements being fulfill at the end. Then, you should retake the DAT, try to score 19+ on all sections and at least 21AA. In addition, you can continue volunteering/working at your dental clinic, do research...etc. if all possible, however the main thing you want to achieve here is high GPA & high DAT scores.

GL.

What is your science GPA? If it is below a 3.0, you need to strongly consider SMP. Also, I wouldn't retake any classes, but instead take more upper division science courses. Plus, retaking a class at a CC might not look very attractive to the committee. On the other hand if you take classes such as Histology, Immunology, Endocrinology etc. and get A's it might grab their attention.

If I were you I would start searching for post-bac programs or SMPs. Message me if you need some advice, I can recommend a few.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, your DAT is disappointing. I'm not usually blunt on this forum, but if you gave yourself a gap year to study for the DAT and you got a 17?? really? No excuse man. Clearly, your extracurricular is strong. Good for you, but you need to realize, its not all about your ExtraCurriculars. DAT and GPA is what gets you in the door.

I personally didn't have a high dat score, but I didn't take a GAP year to study for it. Going off of that, retake the DAT and do a post bach. and maybe lower down on your extracurr. and work on academics. then I'm sure you'll get interviews.

Dude, your DAT is disappointing. I'm not usually blunt on this forum, but if you gave yourself a gap year to study for the DAT and you got a 17?? really? No excuse man. Clearly, your extracurricular is strong. Good for you, but you need to realize, its not all about your ExtraCurriculars. DAT and GPA is what gets you in the door.

I personally didn't have a high dat score, but I didn't take a GAP year to study for it. Going off of that, retake the DAT and do a post bach. and maybe lower down on your extracurr. and work on academics. then I'm sure you'll get interviews.

AA18 you got is very close to AA17 though. Different people have different situations. Dolphins can't be judged based on how fast they run on land.

Reactions: 1 users
AA18 you got is very close to AA17 though. Different people have different situations. Dolphins can't be judged based on how fast they run on land.

True but I only studied for less than a month. with an intensive spring course.

True but I only studied for less than a month. with an intensive spring course.

What I mean is that we shouldnt put DAT scores vs time spent on studying for comparisons.

Others do get 24 25 with 2 weeks of studying and a full load schedule, which they think is not intensive but are indeed intensive for other people. Just different perspectives for different people.

Hey, tebros is just trying to help you out by giving you the perspective that dental school admission committee will be giving to you. You can tell people as many reason as you want on SDN, but the screening committee from any dental school will look at the fact that you took a gap year off and only got a 17AA. Honestly, other than your GPA being not as competitive, the gap year to study for DAT is another red flag on your application. I agree that having dental experience and doing volunteer will not help you at this point, you need to do a post-bac program or look into a masters program. I don't think doing research will help you without being in a formal masters program. While you are in these programs, you should study for DAT at the same time, and prove to the committee that you can handle school work and standardized exam at the same time. By then, I think you will have a better chance of getting into dental school.

good luck!

Last edited:

Last edited:
@darknightzzz is not the OP who was requesting advice though, @SerendipityTMH .

Darknightzzz is a Pre-dent god (cGPA/sGPA 3.89, 3.89, DAT 21, 22,23 AA, TS, PAT).

plz dont quote my stat like that as others have 24 25 AA

Hey, tebros is just trying to help you out by giving you the perspective that dental school admission committee will be giving to you. You can tell people as many reason as you want on SDN, but the screening committee from any dental school will look at the fact that you took a gap year off and only got a 17AA. Honestly, other than your GPA being not as competitive, the gap year to study for DAT is another red flag on your application. I agree that having dental experience and doing volunteer will not help you at this point, you need to do a post-bac program or look into a masters program. I don't think doing research will help you without being in a formal masters program. While you are in these programs, you should study for DAT at the same time, and prove to the committee that you can handle school work and standardized exam at the same time. By then, I think you will have a better chance of getting into dental school.

good luck!

not OP but your response is very accurate :)

plz dont quote my stat like that as others have 24 25 AA

Just because others have higher scores does not mean that your score isn't amazing, lol. I'd love to have a score as high as yours!

LIU post has a biomedical science program.. With some good courses. I started my masters there taking immunology and pathophys and got As. I would look into their program.. It's expensive but taking the time to take a year of intensive science classes while studying to retake the dat is what you need to do to get jn

LIU post has a biomedical science program.. With some good courses. I started my masters there taking immunology and pathophys and got As. I would look into their program.. It's expensive but taking the time to take a year of intensive science classes while studying to retake the dat is what you need to do to get jn

Hi I am considering the Biomedical Sciences program too. Would you Recommend it for students that want to study MD?