I don`t get A because I don`t cheat like my other classmates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctoR not yet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got my Chemistry two grade, I got B which is ridiculous.

Anyways, I feel bad because I didn`t want to cheat, even though most of my friends in class cheat every exam, but I refuse to join them because I think that`s a bad thing to do and I can never lie to myself and pretend like I got some great grade by myself if I cheat.

My friends got A, and now I think I should cheat, beacause they say it`s "helping" and not cheating.

What do you guys think??
I feel so confused and I don`t want to cheat really, but I always think what if I couldn`t get into medical school, will I regret not cheating on the exams???

:(

please tell me something that might remove these negative ideas in ma mind :(

Members don't see this ad.

Regardless of if they cheated or not, you still earned a B. I don't see how it's so ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you would have gotten caught, you would have unbelievable regret. Getting a B is not that big of a deal. I'm sure not everyone in the class who got an A cheated. I think you made the right choice by not cheating, even it did cost you a grade.

Don't cheat, study your ass off and get an A the right way. Integrity is a huge thing and time will tell who has it and who doesn't. Your friends may be getting A's, but if they were to get caught cheating it will make it much, much harder to get into any graduate program let alone med school.

Regardless of if they cheated or not, you still earned a B. I don't see how it's so ridiculous.

It's ridiculous when somebody who is honest gets a B while cheaters get an A. Getting a B on your own isn't ridiculous; but when you're competing, it is.

That was happening in my physics class until the professor got really uptight on the final and made people who did horribly on it retake all the previous tests. There were quite a few Fs in that class.

:lame:

No, cheating doesn't mean you would get an A. Sure, you could. But you could also get an expulsion.

Honestly, the fact that you're even asking/considering this is an indication of a huge problem. If the answer isn't clear to you, you need to seriously examine your priorities and morals. Sorry that you didn't get the grade you want, but you need to figure out how to improve for next time instead of trying to beat the system.

If you cheat now, you will regret it when you make it to medical school and realize you never developed the study habits necessary to survive the rigors of medical training.

There are honest people in your classes getting A's, without cheating. You need to focus your energy on becoming one of them!

I could`ve earned A as well if I cheated, right?

Maybe you should study harder then?

Its not fair that someone who doesnt study hard gets a free A like your friends, but down the road, they will not be prepared for the MCAT or medical school, but you WILL be, and you will be a more successful physician because of it.

You people are right, I`d better improve myself rather than comparing it with others.
I didn`t write this topic trying to make cheating look good or acceptable, I just wanted to express the feelings I have right now.

I`m an adult and I know which is right to do and which is bad and not to do it, but sometimes we human need to get some feelings out in order to keep going in life, otherwise we would explode.

Thanks people <3

Members don't see this ad :)
Study harder and forget about the cheating. It's going to bite them in the ass eventually, as it would you...with something as extreme as expulsion btw.

you people are right, i`d better improve myself rather than comparing it with others.
I didn`t write this topic trying to make cheating look good or acceptable, i just wanted to express the feelings i have right now.

I`m an adult and i know which is right to do and which is bad and not to do it, but sometimes we human need to get some feelings out in order to keep going in life, otherwise we would explode.

Thanks people <3

ok

It's totally understandable to feel that way - especially if you know that there are number of cheaters in a class. That's a hard position to be in.

Honestly, though... may wanna find some new "friends" who don't engage in cheating.

Hi,

Anyways, I feel bad because I didn`t want to cheat, even though most of my friends in class cheat every exam, but I refuse to join them because I think that`s a bad thing to do and I can never lie to myself and pretend like I got some great grade by myself if I cheat.

My friends got A, and now I think I should cheat, beacause they say it`s "helping" and not cheating.

What do you guys think??
I feel so confused and I don`t want to cheat really, but I always think what if I couldn`t get into medical school, will I regret not cheating on the exams???

Dude dont cheat (not saying that you were thinking about it) but That 4.0 GPA wont look good when its paired with a 16 MCAT because you didnt know anything and bummed a ride through undergrad by cheating off your peers. Put in the work, do the best you can. If its a B, ok. Its better than an getting an A when you know absolutely nothing.

Getting a B is much better than the possibility of academic dishonesty on your record. The class is obviously over, time to move on and work harder next time.

What happens when you take the MCAT or the USMLE and can't pass them because you cheated your way through the pre-requisites?

Cheating doesn't pay off in the long run. Just work hard and do well.

How do you know that the people who earned As cheated?

So are you going to say this every time you don't get an A?

"Oh I could have gotten an A...if only I had cheated!"

Seems like you need to figure out how to get A's on your own first before whining about other people cheating. Don't worry the MCAT will weed out the cheaters in due time.

close friends!

That's unfortunate. As I said on another thread: Never, ever cheat. The return isn't that good (you may get a higher grade, but you will probably get a lower MCAT relative to GPA), and the consequences of getting caught pretty much end your medical aspirations without a serious gap period between undergrad and med school. Dishonesty is punished severely in medicine.

Hmm I kinda had the opposite experience as you OP. was one of the few that didnt cheat, got the highest grade in my class of 130. Feels good brah

Just study more

Hmm I kinda had the opposite experience as you OP. was one of the few that didnt cheat, got the highest grade in my class of 130. Feels good brah

Just study more

Well aren't you just smart and special.

I think integrity is a good thing. You did the right thing by not cheating.

hahaha being smart doesn`t mean u have a high GPA and vice versa

but that`s good u did great and i hope I do great too next fall

There is usually some correlation between intelligence and GPA, or else GPA would be absolutely meaningless

Yeah, Mommy says that to me too!

Mommy is always right. Don't listen to these guys.

How else would I have realized how handsome I am?

Also your freaking location. How did you know about the first thing I say in champ select >_>

Mommy is always right. Don't listen to these guys.

How else would I have realized how handsome I am?

Also your freaking location. How did you know about the first thing I say in champ select >_>

I say that too but I always feed regardless. :lame:

OP, you're doing the right thing by not cheating. I can't promise you'll prosper relative to the cheaters in the end, I can't promise they'll get what's coming to them, but to some extent, virtue IS its own reward, and you should find some measure of comfort in it. And you have achieved something intangible that the cheaters have not, and will never unless they change their ways.

That all being said...if cheating is truly rampant, the professor needs to make a change. I would make sure they know about the pattern. I wouldn't say something like all the students who get A's cheat, however - that just makes you sound like a sourpuss.

In the end, some cheaters will always get away with it, but cheating should never emerge as far and away the strategic choice. Some will gamble on it and be successful, some will gamble on it and be destroyed*, and most will play by the rules and get whatever comes their way. That's just the way it is.

*And I do mean destroyed - academic dishonesty convictions will end most routes of postgraduate education, and when your highest degree has that big ugly asterisk on it, it hurts you forever.

P.S. - A few B's are not going to keep you out of medical school. =)

There is usually some correlation between intelligence and GPA, or else GPA would be absolutely meaningless

The correlation exists between GPA and academic prowess, which is a rather giant DUUUUUUUH. Intelligence is only one factor in the latter - there's also effort, dedication, distractions, etc.

OP, you're doing the right thing by not cheating. I can't promise you'll prosper relative to the cheaters in the end, I can't promise they'll get what's coming to them, but to some extent, virtue IS its own reward, and you should find some measure of comfort in it. And you have achieved something intangible that the cheaters have not, and will never unless they change their ways.

That all being said...if cheating is truly rampant, the professor needs to make a change. I would make sure they know about the pattern. I wouldn't say something like all the students who get A's cheat, however - that just makes you sound like a sourpuss.

In the end, some cheaters will always get away with it, but cheating should never emerge as far and away the strategic choice. Some will gamble on it and be successful, some will gamble on it and be destroyed*, and most will play by the rules and get whatever comes their way. That's just the way it is.

*And I do mean destroyed - academic dishonesty convictions will end most routes of postgraduate education, and when your highest degree has that big ugly asterisk on it, it hurts you forever.

P.S. - A few B's are not going to keep you out of medical school. =)

Isn't there a question on their end of quarter/semester evaluations that asks you to anonymously report what kind of cheating was going on? If you're this concerned about it it would be a good way of making sure subsequent years can't cheat in the same way, and since it's anonymous and doesn't ask for names you don't really have anything to worry about...

My school did at least!

B>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>IA

Enough said.

Hi,

What do you guys think??

What do you mean by cheating? At my school there is NO WAY in hell you are cheating on exams, between different versions, multiple TA's accompanying professor during exams, and the prof and TA's are literally chomping at the bit to tell people to LEAVE that have wandering eyes. In short there is no way to consistently cheat on exams at my school--especially in the pre-reqs. If you are looking around too much which some people do they will literally tell you to leave, fail you in there class, and write a letter to the dean advising them to punish you harshly. This could lead to academic dishonesty being on your transcript and even expulsion. I guess what im trying to say is I am amazed that people could blatantly cheat in a pre-req at your school. WOW!:scared: I think you absolutely did the right thing! And a B in inorganic chem II isn't bad at all OP! I took that class recently--and did well but had to work for it as well! Class averages in my lecture were LOW 50's so if you came out with a B nothing to get down over! If I were you I literally would have went to the profs office and informed the professor of how students were cheating; I wouldn't want kids I'm competing with for a spot in med school to get better grades than me due to cheating! This whole process is so competitive that I would have tried to make them crash and burn! I guess you were just trying to be a good friend by not telling. A B is okay OP, and you did the right thing by not cheating!! I am still in awe that kids got away with severe cheating in a pre-req at your school. Wow!:thumbdown: Hope they eat xxxx come the MCAT!:laugh:

What do you mean by cheating? At my school there is NO WAY in hell you are cheating on exams, between different versions, multiple TA's accompanying professor during exams, and the prof and TA's are literally chomping at the bit to tell people to LEAVE that have wandering eyes. In short there is no way to consistently cheat on exams at my school--especially in the pre-reqs. If you are looking around too much which some people do they will literally tell you to leave, fail you in there class, and write a letter to the dean advising them to punish you harshly. This could lead to academic dishonesty being on your transcript and even expulsion. I guess what im trying to say is I am amazed that people could blatantly cheat in a pre-req at your school. WOW!:scared: I think you absolutely did the right thing! And a B in inorganic chem II isn't bad at all OP! I took that class recently--and did well but had to work for it as well! Class averages in my lecture were LOW 50's so if you came out with a B nothing to get down over! If I were you I literally would have went to the profs office and informed the professor of how students were cheating; I wouldn't want kids I'm competing with for a spot in med school to get better grades than me due to cheating! This whole process is so competitive that I would have tried to make them crash and burn! I guess you were just trying to be a good friend by not telling. A B is okay OP, and you did the right thing by not cheating!! I am still in awe that kids got away with severe cheating in a pre-req at your school. Wow!:thumbdown: Hope they eat xxxx come the MCAT!:laugh:

You'd be surprised how far people go to cheat. If you're really determined ( which is funny, because studying seems much easier than concocting those elaborate tactics), you can evade almost everything. Here's some stories I've heard:

- people writing answers on a small sheet of paper and replacing the label of a water bottle with it- on the inside, of course. Water bottles were banned in exams in some of our classes for this reason.

- people stuffing a small sheet of paper with the answers on it inside of a clear pen

- people showing up late for tests, communicating with friends on their phone for answers

- people writing answers on the front hood of a baseball cap, looking up for answers. Hats were banned in exams for this reason.

Isn't studying just easier than this stuff?

I have a hard time believing that everyone, or even the majority of people who got an A in your class were cheating OP. Sounds to me like you're one of those kids who can't accept personal responsibility for their own failures. No, the reason you got a B couldn't have possibly been that you didn't study hard enough, it had to have been all those cheaters raising the bar to an impossible standard.

you're doing the right thing to not cheat, your long term gains will outweigh your short term gains.

there are a ton of kids who cheat at my school. i personally have set the metric that they will cheat and i will still score higher. Of almost all the ones i've seen cheat, they usually get hung up along the way, in upper level classes or on the mcat (the 4.0 with sub 20 scores). true they can scramble at this point and push their scores higher but it's not a pleasant time and probably is a missed cycle.

these classes not only teach you the material but solid study skills. that is the thing they are forgetting and it compounds as time goes by and the classes get harder.

I have a hard time believing that everyone, or even the majority of people who got an A in your class were cheating OP. Sounds to me like you're one of those kids who can't accept personal responsibility for their own failures. No, the reason you got a B couldn't have possibly been that you didn't study hard enough, it had to have been all those cheaters raising the bar to an impossible standard.

:thumbup:

I don't know how I feel about EVERYONE cheating. That situation does suck though. Luckily it's nearly impossible to cheat at my school without getting caught.

I could`ve earned A as well if I cheated, right?

And you could have earned A if you worked harder. Why don't you look to the people with As who put the effort into studying? Cheating won't get you far. Ethical reasons aside, do you really think you can cheat into medical school? It may get you pass one course or two, but you will fail bitterly on the MCAT if cheating is all you can rely on. Then, not only is one course wasted, you would have wasted many years and money only to find out that you are still not qualified anywhere.

You'll be taking more chemistry courses in the future. Your friends will fail those while you will get a B or greater score because you actually know the material. You study not only for grades but also to further your experience in the specific field. These intro chemistry topics will not go away in Organic Chemistry, and you will need to use them in the future. Cheating not only is immoral but also hurts yourself in the long run. So do not worry you will do fine in the long run :zip: