I don't have the best grades...BUT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csx

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
`

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Chances pretty good with a 3000 MCAT.

Im a bio major and Im pullin around a 3.1 right now. I got 2 A's and a B this past semester and I got 2 more semesters to go to pull that up. If everything goes to plan I should end up with a 3.6 max. Realistically...a 3.3ish

That being said however, I partake in a LOT of EC's (including leadership)...Hypothetically let's say I got a 3.3 GPA and a 3000 on my MCAT (which I am yet to take), what do you think my chances will be?

1) I founded a Fraternity at our school.
-Former Comm. Serv Chair, Current VP.
2) VP to Redcross, co-founder and former VP and current P to wrestling club, Pre-med VP.
3) 2 elected school positions which represent less than 0.25% of the student pop and the only person to simultaneously hold both this year and to my knowledge many years past.
4) Part time job
5) Lab aide
6) Volunteer Medical screener at a Free Clinic

No amount of ECs make up for lackluster GPA. While med school admissions is not all about the numbers, and it is good to have well-rounded ECs, the fact remains that the first two things most schools look at are MCAT and GPA. A 3.3 might even get screened out pre-secondary at some schools. And I'm assuming by "3000" MCAT you mean a 30? That's an approximate 37% acceptance rate for someone with a 3.3 and 30 (https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/2012factstable24.pdf)

Decrease the time you spend on ECs and try your best to get your GPA up to a 3.6 so you can be more competitive. Also shoot for at least a 32 on the MCAT. 3.6/32 bumps you up to a 70% acceptance rate! Keep the ECs that mean the most to you.

Chances pretty good with a 3000 MCAT.

tumblr_m4n0x6Z0n41qj73e2o1_500.gif

3000 MCAT!? Damn, son. :eek:

Your ECs and GPA pale in comparison to mine. :smuggrin:

`

Last edited:
oh really?

I don't get what you are getting at with that statement. According to just SDN alone, the only thing you have flashy is the founded fraternity. But you posted below saying you are the VP? The VP of pre-med club can go in the trash pretty much. Those type of clubs are known for getting everyone a leadership position to have a resume boost. You don't have any shadowing and since you listed medical volunteering last, you most likely have a minimal amount.

You seem to be shooting for one main group on the EC ladder, which is leadership. Where is the altruistic aspect? Where is the want to pursue medicine your whole life? That's what adcoms will look at.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
These are just my on-campus EC's. I've shadowed plenty of Dr.'s and have a list of like 10 CS events I've created, set up, or participated in. I also volunteer during my breaks from school. I was simply referring to ON-CAMPUS EC's. My apologies, I should have been more specific :/

Discrete community service events don't really count; it's the long-term ones that really matter as far as medical school admissions go.

In any case, even with shadowing and volunteering, my original statement stands, as these kinds of things are considered "standard." There's nothing particularly outstanding that's going to buffer your GPA to any significant extent.

ECs look good, but way too early to tell grade wise. Just keep aceing things, and score well on the MCAT ,and you'll be fine.

IF you stay at 3.3, no chance for MD, but fine for DO.

Im a bio major and Im pullin around a 3.1 right now. I got 2 A's and a B this past semester and I got 2 more semesters to go to pull that up. If everything goes to plan I should end up with a 3.6 max. Realistically...a 3.3ish

That being said however, I partake in a LOT of EC's (including leadership)...Hypothetically let's say I got a 3.3 GPA and a 30 on my MCAT (which I am yet to take), what do you think my chances will be?

1) I founded a Fraternity at our school.
-Former Comm. Serv Chair, Current VP.
2) VP to Redcross, co-founder and former VP and current P to wrestling club, Pre-med VP.
3) 2 elected school positions which represent less than 0.25% of the student pop and the only person to simultaneously hold both this year and to my knowledge many years past.
4) Part time job
5) Lab aide
6) Volunteer Medical screener at a Free Clinic

...my first 3 semesters I didn't really know what I wanted to do, I was ignorant and didnt know grades mattered, I took more credit hours than I should have etc...all in all, I MESSED UP and got a 2.75 the first 3 semesters.

The next 3 semester I've scored between a 3.6-3.9 each semester. With that said, I have 2 more semesters of school left, granted I keep this up, do you think I have a chance with an MD school if I score at least a 30 (preferably higher obvi) on the MCATs?

...my first 3 semesters I didn't really know what I wanted to do, I was ignorant and didnt know grades mattered, I took more credit hours than I should have etc...all in all, I MESSED UP and got a 2.75 the first 3 semesters.

The next 3 semester I've scored between a 3.6-3.9 each semester. With that said, I have 2 more semesters of school left, granted I keep this up, do you think I have a chance with an MD school if I score at least a 30 (preferably higher obvi) on the MCATs?

Where do you go to school? Cc or a top undergrad if its the latter or a good state school you need to pull off basically straight As from here on out and then rock the MCAT meaning quite aove 30. If it is from a cc or unknown school you may want to reevaluate your plans. If you can do that and then talk about your immaturity when entering college you have a shot. Go speak to a premed advisor about your situation you may also want to consider grad school to pull up your grades more.

ECs look good, but way too early to tell grade wise. Just keep aceing things, and score well on the MCAT ,and you'll be fine.

IF you stay at 3.3, no chance for MD, but fine for DO.

:rolleyes:

Come back with a MCAT score and then we can better gage your chances...

Where do you go to school? Cc or a top undergrad if its the latter or a good state school you need to pull off basically straight As from here on out and then rock the MCAT meaning quite aove 30. If it is from a cc or unknown school you may want to reevaluate your plans. If you can do that and then talk about your immaturity when entering college you have a shot. Go speak to a premed advisor about your situation you may also want to consider grad school to pull up your grades more.

I wouldn't say its a Top undergrad but its a mid-low upper tier VA state school.

I wouldn't say its a Top undergrad but its a mid-low upper tier VA state school.

A MID-LOW UPPER tier VA state school? I am confused by that classification..

What have you been getting on your MCAT practice tests? (Assuming you've started studying)... If you haven't started studying, getting a 30+ on the MCAT is not an easy thing to do. Getting a 30 means that you are basically in the top 80 percentile of people who take the test. It is definitely possible, but it's tough.