i dont know what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

residue

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay so ive been studying for my Exam for about a month now going through bio gchem and ochem material. (I dont retain things very well). Ive been using DAT boot camp and following Ari's schedule consistently. I havent taken any full length tests yet but by the looks of my section tests they arent looking too good. i feel extremely rushed and on the tests and i tend not to do so well when timed. my gchem score un-timed is around a 24 but it quickly drops to a 18-19 when the timer is on. my reading comprehension is below 15 and my bio from Q vault is around a 17. My PAT is a 20 (only having problems with angle ranking). I havent taken any math test but i can solve many of the problems on math destroyer sometimes only missing up to 5 questions un-timed. the Gchem and ochem on destroyer is literally killing me, which i only get like 40-50% of the answers correct. I still have a solid month to prepare, but im a very slow learner and my scores didnt seem to improve for chemistry. i took 2 days off and put everything aside to try and think about what to do. Ive been reading up on forums and many say that its better to not take it at all then get a bad score on the test. Im pretty sure that i wont be ready by the next month. is it possible to postpone a test a full year or to reschedule if that were the case?

Members don't see this ad.

You can only re-schedule within the 6 month window of your ticket. Otherwise you would have to skip the test date then register and pay for a new ticket. With that said, practice always improves timing and a month is a lot of time to practice. Practicing under timed conditions is critical to get adjusted to the pressures of the real test and force yourself to work quickly. I also wouldn't worry about 40-50% on Destroyer, that's not uncommon for people going through it the first time. Use it as a resource to learn from.

As for the speed issues, what exactly is the problem in each section? Do you not know how to set the problems up for solving? Are you slow in doing the mental math for sections like general chemistry? Is your reading speed the issue in RC?

Reactions: 1 user
You can only re-schedule within the 6 month window of your ticket. Otherwise you would have to skip the test date then register and pay for a new ticket. With that said, practice always improves timing and a month is a lot of time to practice. Practicing under timed conditions is critical to get adjusted to the pressures of the real test and force yourself to work quickly. I also wouldn't worry about 40-50% on Destroyer, that's not uncommon for people going through it the first time. Use it as a resource to learn from.

As for the speed issues, what exactly is the problem in each section? Do you not know how to set the problems up for solving? Are you slow in doing the mental math for sections like general chemistry? Is your reading speed the issue in RC?

For chemistry, I know how to do most math related question but i often find myself in a brain fart/pause situation. this is after i read the question trying interpret what exactly they are asking for. As for reading, im a very slow reader. i tried the search and destroy method but i quickly found out that takes way too much time. I thought just quickly reading/ skimming through the material gave me a better shot at answering all the questions, even if it meant guessing.

For chemistry, I know how to do most math related question but i often find myself in a brain fart/pause situation. this is after i read the question trying interpret what exactly they are asking for. As for reading, im a very slow reader. i tried the search and destroy method but i quickly found out that takes way too much time. I thought just quickly reading/ skimming through the material gave me a better shot at answering all the questions, even if it meant guessing.

Those pauses are definitely not something you'll have time for on the real DAT, but you have time to keep exposing yourself to enough problems that you become comfortable with quickly deducing how they should be solved.

You need to work on your reading speed, there's no way around that. Do you do any reading practice (e.g. Scientific American articles on a daily basis)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Those pauses are definitely not something you'll have time for on the real DAT, but you have time to keep exposing yourself to enough problems that you become comfortable with quickly deducing how they should be solved.

You need to work on your reading speed, there's no way around that. Do you do any reading practice (e.g. Scientific American articles on a daily basis)?

i've tried reading articles from that website but it didnt seem to help much. ive been leaning more towards prioritizing science rather than reading, but im not exactly sure what i should be investing more of my time. ive been doing a little of everything everyday.

i've tried reading articles from that website but it didnt seem to help much. ive been leaning more towards prioritizing science rather than reading, but im not exactly sure what i should be investing more of my time. ive been doing a little of everything everyday.

I personally tried to do a bit of RC, QR, and PAT each day (30 minutes or so for each) and then used the rest of my time towards the sciences. If these sections are problematic though (it definitely sounds like RC is if you're scoring < 15) I would increase the amount of time you're putting into RC practice. Your RC score is pretty important at a lot of schools and it's not an area you want to neglect. The idea is to read these articles (or any dense scientific article) every day so you gradually improve your speed and endurance getting through them. You won't see improvements overnight, but you will over time.

I personally tried to do a bit of RC, QR, and PAT each day (30 minutes or so for each) and then used the rest of my time towards the sciences. If these sections are problematic though (it definitely sounds like RC is if you're scoring < 15) I would increase the amount of time you're putting into RC practice. Your RC score is pretty important at a lot of schools and it's not an area you want to neglect. The idea is to read these articles (or any dense scientific article) every day so you gradually improve your speed and endurance getting through them. You won't see improvements overnight, but you will over time.

okay great! do you have any suggestion with studying the sciences? ive been using DAT destroyer but im not sure how to approach learning from the constant problem solving. wouldnt i be better off just learning more material from science lectures than just answering problems?

okay great! do you have any suggestion with studying the sciences? ive been using DAT destroyer but im not sure how to approach learning from the constant problem solving. wouldnt i be better off just learning more material from science lectures than just answering problems?

Yes, for the sciences I would always recommend doing content review before practice problems so your foundation of knowledge is strong ahead of time. You said you've been following Ari's schedule - did that include watching Mike's videos and reading Cliff's?

Yes, for the sciences I would always recommend doing content review before practice problems so your foundation of knowledge is strong ahead of time. You said you've been following Ari's schedule - did that include watching Mike's videos and reading Cliff's?

ive read all of cliff's and watched all of Mike's videos including most of chad's videos. i even took notes to help me retain some of the material, but im not sure how much of that stuff actually stuck.

Review the notes and do destroyer. Doing destroyer improved my scores tremendously! I was scoring around 60% across all sections my first run through. After getting my questions wrong, I would read the answer key and make anki cards for bio, and review the topic in the chemistries then re-do the problem around a week after getting it wrong. It sucks at first getting destroyed, but I swear that it helps tremendously! I saw an increase in each of my subsections by around 5 points each!! Keep at destroyer and try to read through a chapter of Feralis each day. Take anki cards for EVERY topic you don't know. I promise that if you go through feralis and make notecards and go through a chunk of them each day, theres no way you score under a 22 on bio. On top of that, youll start getting weird and obscure questions correct on destroyer which is the best feeling ever!

Review the notes and do destroyer. Doing destroyer improved my scores tremendously! I was scoring around 60% across all sections my first run through. After getting my questions wrong, I would read the answer key and make anki cards for bio, and review the topic in the chemistries then re-do the problem around a week after getting it wrong. It sucks at first getting destroyed, but I swear that it helps tremendously! I saw an increase in each of my subsections by around 5 points each!! Keep at destroyer and try to read through a chapter of Feralis each day. Take anki cards for EVERY topic you don't know. I promise that if you go through feralis and make notecards and go through a chunk of them each day, theres no way you score under a 22 on bio. On top of that, youll start getting weird and obscure questions correct on destroyer which is the best feeling ever!

thanks for the tip! i really hope i do well in this upcoming month and bring my score up drastically!

thanks for the tip! i really hope i do well in this upcoming month and bring my score up drastically!
You got this! Nobody is going to do it for you, so take control and rock this thing! It's frustrating getting questions wrong, but just know that each question you get wrong is a topic you'll never get wrong again after review!

Members don't see this ad :)
okay so ive been studying for my Exam for about a month now going through bio gchem and ochem material. (I dont retain things very well). Ive been using DAT boot camp and following Ari's schedule consistently. I havent taken any full length tests yet but by the looks of my section tests they arent looking too good. i feel extremely rushed and on the tests and i tend not to do so well when timed. my gchem score un-timed is around a 24 but it quickly drops to a 18-19 when the timer is on. my reading comprehension is below 15 and my bio from Q vault is around a 17. My PAT is a 20 (only having problems with angle ranking). I havent taken any math test but i can solve many of the problems on math destroyer sometimes only missing up to 5 questions un-timed. the Gchem and ochem on destroyer is literally killing me, which i only get like 40-50% of the answers correct. I still have a solid month to prepare, but im a very slow learner and my scores didnt seem to improve for chemistry. i took 2 days off and put everything aside to try and think about what to do. Ive been reading up on forums and many say that its better to not take it at all then get a bad score on the test. Im pretty sure that i wont be ready by the next month. is it possible to postpone a test a full year or to reschedule if that were the case?
You are not alone in what you are feeling, many students experience the same thing. Feel free to message me and I would be happy to take some time and see what's going on. But I will add this comment, when in doubt always reschedule. Taking the DAT when not fully prepared almost always ends poorly.

Nancy

Have you read the strategies for RC on BootCamp? I was scoring the same as you and then tried the strategies listed by others. It seemed to boost my score by at least 5 points. So I have practicing a RC test on BC everyday. I also made flash cards of the stuff I can't seem to retain, and review those everyday before I start with everything else.

You are not alone in what you are feeling, many students experience the same thing. Feel free to message me and I would be happy to take some time and see what's going on. But I will add this comment, when in doubt always reschedule. Taking the DAT when not fully prepared almost always ends poorly.

Nancy

thank you! i will reconsider rescheduling but as of right now i think stick with it.

Have you read the strategies for RC on BootCamp? I was scoring the same as you and then tried the strategies listed by others. It seemed to boost my score by at least 5 points. So I have practicing a RC test on BC everyday. I also made flash cards of the stuff I can't seem to retain, and review those everyday before I start with everything else.

I have but none that seems to work in my favor. flash cards seem to be a common occurring study tool people keep telling me to use. i think ill give em a try although im not very fond of using them.

not as often as i should. i need to figure a way to use my time more efficiently because im not getting as many things done as id like to.
I suggest implementing a section of your day to reviewing your previous notes that you have taken on either chad, bootcamp, Mike, etc. It seems that they aren't full stuck in your head and that may be a reasoning as to why you are lagging on those timed tests. I'm not sure if it's helpful to do problems without really understanding them first. I spent a good two weeks continually reviewing my notes for each section until I began practicing problems. Also, if you have taken section tests already, definitely write down the problems that either took too much of your time to solve or that you couldn't solve and review them.

Also, if you are concerned with the length of time you have spent studying, I do think it is doable. You can definitely prepare yourself in the span of that month if you put your mind to it. Like you I too am a slow learner, but with some effort you can do quite well! Thought not as stellar as others I received a (22AA, 21TS, 21PAT) from studying over the span of a month to a month and a half. Hopefully this motivates you or gives you some confidence!

I suggest implementing a section of your day to reviewing your previous notes that you have taken on either chad, bootcamp, Mike, etc. It seems that they aren't full stuck in your head and that may be a reasoning as to why you are lagging on those timed tests. I'm not sure if it's helpful to do problems without really understanding them first. I spent a good two weeks continually reviewing my notes for each section until I began practicing problems. Also, if you have taken section tests already, definitely write down the problems that either took too much of your time to solve or that you couldn't solve and review them.

Also, if you are concerned with the length of time you have spent studying, I do think it is doable. You can definitely prepare yourself in the span of that month if you put your mind to it. Like you I too am a slow learner, but with some effort you can do quite well! Thought not as stellar as others I received a (22AA, 21TS, 21PAT) from studying over the span of a month to a month and a half. Hopefully this motivates you or gives you some confidence!

thanks! that was some great pointers. your scores are exactly where i want to be. im definitely planning on putting some time aside to review. i dont think the constant problem solving is doing me much good without knowing exactly what im answering.

Last edited:
How often do you review those notes?

Hey! so recap, ive been studying here and there while my test day is inevitably coming. i had to go to get a check up at the hospital couple times because of the random chest pain i was getting. I am pretty positive im not ready for the test coming up and my mind is pretty much set on trying for the next cycle of admissions. Heres the problem, i already paid and submitted my application on ADEA and my secondaries were just emailed to me. should i just go through with everything even though im pretty positive of not doing well on my DAT and getting a rejection? is there a way of postponing the application process till next year? how do you think i should approach this?

Hey! so recap, ive been studying here and there while my test day is inevitably coming. i had to go to get a check up at the hospital couple times because of the random chest pain i was getting. I am pretty positive im not ready for the test coming up and my mind is pretty much set on trying for the next cycle of admissions. Heres the problem, i already paid and submitted my application on ADEA and my secondaries were just emailed to me. should i just go through with everything even though im pretty positive of not doing well on my DAT and getting a rejection? is there a way of postponing the application process till next year? how do you think i should approach this?

If you aren't ready, I wouldn't take the DAT or apply this cycle. It's better to take the test once when you're ready rather than taking it just to get it done and having a lower score. There's technically no way to 'postpone' your application - you'd have to try again next cycle.

You can postpone your DAT date within the 6 month registration period, but beyond that you would have to re-register (and pay for it again).

If you aren't ready, I wouldn't take the DAT or apply this cycle. It's better to take the test once when you're ready rather than taking it just to get it done and having a lower score. There's technically no way to 'postpone' your application - you'd have to try again next cycle.

You can postpone your DAT date within the 6 month registration period, but beyond that you would have to re-register (and pay for it again).

so would you recommend just not taking the DAT? what would i do with my secondary application that came in. would i have to some how cancel it? because im already a few ways through the application process.

so would you recommend just not taking the DAT? what would i do with my secondary application that came in. would i have to some how cancel it? because im already a few ways through the application process.

I wouldn't bother completing the secondary applications if you aren't going to take the DAT in time to apply this cycle (you don't need to cancel them, you just don't submit). I would not take the DAT until you're feeling somewhat prepared.

Is it possible for you to re-schedule the DAT in time to apply this cycle? How unprepared for the DAT do you currently feel?

I wouldn't bother completing the secondary applications if you aren't going to take the DAT in time to apply this cycle (you don't need to cancel them, you just don't submit). I would not take the DAT until you're feeling somewhat prepared.

Is it possible for you to re-schedule the DAT in time to apply this cycle? How unprepared for the DAT do you currently feel?

i feel very unprepared. I dont mind applying the next cycle because i was already thinking about taking a gap time off between undergrad and dental school. I know i can do better than what im getting right now on my practice scores. I just need more time.

So sorry for your situation. Feel free to pm me and I will be happy to offer some advice.

Nancy