About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

I edited tons of Personal Statements on SDN, no one is responding to help me

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by impact2d, Jul 6, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. impact2d

impact2d

Pre-Medical

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I took my MCAT today, and am trying to submit today or tomorrow. Despite having the MCAT I was a personal statement reader on the personal statement thread. I edited a bunch of personal statements and helped out a ton of people, but no one has responded to any of my requests.

Anyone willing to take a look at my personal statement with a fast turnaround?
  2. DrOMG

DrOMG

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I get free editing through tutor.com. If you want, inbox it to me and I can have them take a look and then send you back the edited word doc. Let me know.
  3. Hopeful101

Hopeful101

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Not to sound like a douche, but you probably shouldn't edit other people's PS when you are studying for the MCAT, doing AMCAS, and working on your own PS.
  4. chillaxbro

chillaxbro SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor

Pre-health Advisor
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Also, helping your competitors is a bad idea. Unless you edited them to make them worse then :thumbup:
  5. jesse120

jesse120 Zanarkand Ruins

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    yeah I'll help you out if you still want another reader. I have a lot of free time so it'll probably be a fast turnaround for ya
  6. hopeful22213

hopeful22213

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'd be happy to help. I received some very useful feedback from SDN users when I was polishing mine, only fair to return the favor.

PM me and I'll try to get you a fairly detailed response by Saturday or Sunday.

My background (non-trad) is in journalism if you're worried about the relative merits of my editing.
  7. Lafakads

Lafakads

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I wish I could help but it seems that everyone I messaged just abandoned their account. Was hoping for a quick grammar/second opinion but cant find anyone
  8. gettheleadout

gettheleadout title_error Moderator

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If anyone wants a read through for grammar or flow I can read it immediately if you PM me right now. If a lot of people PM me I'll eventually have to decline though...

I've never listed myself on the PS reader list because I haven't applied or written my PS, but I won 2nd place in a statewide writing contest in high school. :p

Edit: For the record, if no one PM's me I won't be offended at all, just offering.
  9. Lexicon0

Lexicon0

SDN 2+ Year Member
    MS-0 here. I can also read your PS for flow or grammar if you're looking for more feedback..
  10. sinuous sausage

sinuous sausage

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I will check out you're grammer and stuff if you wont.
  11. music2doc

music2doc Student of Mad Doctoring

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

I kind of agree with this -- at least outside basic grammar stuff. Even as someone accepted at a fairly large number of schools (and offered interviews at half the places I applied), I try to be pretty conservative when giving people suggestions on their PS. The fact is that even adcom members can't always tell you what is "good" or "bad" simply because that is so subjective. Nevertheless, some questions to ask yourself:

Does my PS give people a view of who I am and why I am "unique"? (Even though you're not in this applicant pool...)
    Does my PS give a view of my life journey that at least appears to naturally and inevitably lead to medicine?
    Does my PS integrate 1 or more life experiences as mentioned within the PS into my goals?
    Are my goals expressly stated in my PS?
    What are the overall "themes" of my primary app? Who will I be known/remembered as by the adcom (i.e., "The EMT," "The Olympian," "The D1 Athlete," "The Future Psychiatrist," etc.)?
    Does my PS fit the overall theme of my application?
    Does my PS have a logical structure? (Not a written outline....)
  12. gettheleadout

gettheleadout title_error Moderator

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Uh oh.
  13. mybubbles627

mybubbles627

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I can give it a look if you want. Just send me a PM. I will be an MS1 so I am not competing with you. I will check it mainly for content and flow rather than grammar as English has never been my strong suit.
  14. Slowpoke

Slowpoke I haz cheezburger

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Let me know if you need a hand bud. Incoming MS1, will read for content and flow.
  15. Ebattilana100

Ebattilana100

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It's getting harder to have someone look over PStatements. I've pmed a bunch of members but also didn't get any response. I am also trying to find a reader if anyone has some free time.
  16. hopeful22213

hopeful22213

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Have you PMed the users that offered to read/edit in this thread? I'd be happy to help and can probably get you feedback pretty quickly
  17. EnergyDrink

EnergyDrink

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Send it my way impact, I'll be glad to return the favor
  18. Ebattilana100

Ebattilana100

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I will definitely send it over.
  19. qwerty2012

qwerty2012

are there any good professional websites to use? I always wondered.
  20. physcigirl27

physcigirl27

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I'd be happy to read yours. English/writing are definitely my strongest points and I was originally pursuing a career in journalism so I'd be more than happy to help you out! Just PM it to me!
  21. ibanez2480

ibanez2480

Pre-Medical
    I didn't feel right messaging people in this thread out of the blue who had offered to read someone else's PS, but would anyone here mind reading mine? I am currently working on making sure that my message is clear, and would love to have some more feedback.

Thanks!
  22. regularbobj

regularbobj

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Finally done with my own. Be happy to read/edit/proofread OPs or anyone else's PS
  23. impact2d

impact2d

Pre-Medical
    Thanks all, I got a few responses in the first day, big thanks to everyone. I submitted last night!
  24. syoung

syoung MS-1

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Some say essayedge. Quick google will give you a number of responses. Never used them though, since one quote was $400 per one hour per one statement edit.
  25. Juicec

Juicec

Pre-Medical
    As someone just SIGNIFICANTLY helped with mine, I will certainly return the favor. Feel free to PM it to me. I will not provide grammar edits though because I do not feel qualified to do so. I will however provide you with my opinions on your substance, which is what I really needed help with :D
  26. sector9

sector9 'He's a loathsome, offensive brute' Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Medical Student
    SDN Published Author hSDN Alumni SDN 2+ Year Member
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.