I feel #$%^ed......any advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toledoray7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I take my NAPLEX for the 1st time next Saturday (11 days away).

I just finished going through RxPrep once.....I am using the RxPrep question bank and am getting extremely discouraged. I started with ID parts 1 and 2 because thats a weak area for me and scored 43 and 44% (yikes) on them respectively.

To make matters worse I went into the diabetes quiz to gain some confidence (I like to think I'm ok at endocrine) and was missing like over half the questions! I am for all intents and purposes freaking out right now.

Any advice on how to spend my last 11 precious days????

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest doing the Prenaplex to see where you are and what you might need to improve on over the next 11 days. Don't panic. I had less than 2 weeks to study and just found out I passed yesterday. Prioritize. HTN, Chol, Diabetes, Asthma, Depression/Bipolar Disorder/Antipsychotics, Anticoag and Calculations (including Biostats) are the most important topics I think. Also know the most important DDI - especially CYP enzymes. The mnemonics in RxPrep really help for that one. I did not even get any HIV or Onco and very little ID, but at least study chemo man and the drugs that need to be taken with or without food. If you need to work on ID know what to use to treat CAP, Pseudomonas (which cephalosporins), SSTI, surgical prophylaxis. Pharmacist Letter is a good source for tables. Study Top 200 Brand/Generic for all the major disease states and MOA for those drugs. Don't get too stressed out if you don't know the dosing but have a general idea for the major disease state drugs. Hang in there.

Reactions: 4 users
In actual NAPLEX test , were there any diseases background type questions like classification. For example classification of CHF, Cardiac Arrhythmias, physiology of diseases, pathophysiology of diseases stable angina, unstable angina, Bipolar disorder 1 , Bipolar 11.

Should I only focus on medicines which medicine in which disease, MOA, major toxicity , major interaction , drug of choice, important consultation points about medicines. What is the best approach to save time and focus on. If you have to take NAPLEX again with little or no time for study which approach would you prefer. Approach 1 combined with approach 2 or just approach 2 is enough for NAPLEX passing with flying colors.

In my opinion, I thought the RxPrep quizzes were harder than the actual NAPLEX so I feel like if you can just keep re-doing the quizzes and understand what you're getting wrong and build from it, you should be fine. I agree with Pharma Spia though on prioritizing what to study. Don't overlook Biostats because I got a few questions on that section. At this point, I would study the bold and underlined words. Just know the basics. Don't delve into it. If you're stressing over a particular section, you're probably studying it too hard. You could do the Pre-NAPLEX as well to see where you are. I took it two days before my actual NAPLEX and got a 61 so I stared getting worried. I took the exam and thought it was doable and the calculations for me were easy. I felt like I only got 15-20 questions which I thought wasn't a lot. I got a 95 on the NAPLEX so it may or may not be a good predicament since according the Pre-NAPLEX, I would have failed haha. Anyways, don't doubt your knowledge! Your College of Pharmacy and rotations has trained you well! Trust me, you'll do great!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, I thought the RxPrep quizzes were harder than the actual NAPLEX so I feel like if you can just keep re-doing the quizzes and understand what you're getting wrong and build from it, you should be fine. I agree with Pharma Spia though on prioritizing what to study. Don't overlook Biostats because I got a few questions on that section. At this point, I would study the bold and underlined words. Just know the basics. Don't delve into it. If you're stressing over a particular section, you're probably studying it too hard. You could do the Pre-NAPLEX as well to see where you are. I took it two days before my actual NAPLEX and got a 61 so I stared getting worried. I took the exam and thought it was doable and the calculations for me were easy. I felt like I only got 15-20 questions which I thought wasn't a lot. I got a 95 on the NAPLEX so it may or may not be a good predicament since according the Pre-NAPLEX, I would have failed haha. Anyways, don't doubt your knowledge! Your College of Pharmacy and rotations has trained you well! Trust me, you'll do great!

Thanks for sharing very helpful advice. Congratulations. If you remember anything else, please share with us. Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys.....I feel a little better tonight. I did one of the hypertension quizzes and score about 75%. I just suck at ID and was studying way too late last night.

Took the Pre-NAPLEX this morning (7 days away) and scored a 101......pretty encouraging

Reactions: 1 user
well, don't overlook the small topics. I spent my last two days working on the major topics and ignored those chapters I thought I would only get 1 or 2 questions. Guess what, I got tons of questions on small topics which I didn't prepare for. For me, not many HTN, DM questions, almost no HLP, no psych, I was very disappointed, and stressed out because of those wired disease state. For RXPREP, my quiz is usually around 60-80%. If I don't pass this time, I will spend more time on the small disease states.

I feel really bad that you did not get major diseases. My exam is coming and I also did not prepare these topics. I am freaking out. What about calculations , how many you got? They did not they contribute toward your passing score. Everybody says do calculations and take NAPLEX. That's all one need to do. So, from your experience,I should not at least depend on heavily on Calculations. What do you think?

well, don't overlook the small topics. I spent my last two days working on the major topics and ignored those chapters I thought I would only get 1 or 2 questions. Guess what, I got tons of questions on small topics which I didn't prepare for. For me, not many HTN, DM questions, almost no HLP, no psych, I was very disappointed, and stressed out because of those wired disease state. For RXPREP, my quiz is usually around 60-80%. If I don't pass this time, I will spend more time on the small disease states.

I knew the small topics well so I got hammered with HIV and Onco - it is truly an adaptive exam! Know it all lol

Ewww.....I haven't touched HIV or Oncology yet other than reading the chapters......any suggestions on what to focus on?

It was brand/generic, side effects, what you should combine it with and how to manage side effects - a lot stuff i didn't spend time on. Was only familiar with like half of it. Hopefully it was enough to pass. I'm hoping that some questions were test questions because there were too many!

Practice calculations chapter, and quiz bank, if you don't do anything else and know calculations in n out, you will pass Naplex without a problem. Know top 300 brand generics, and Combination HTN meds etc. You will do just fine. I studied about 10-12 days total I mean total. I passed just fine.

Practice calculations chapter, and quiz bank, if you don't do anything else and know calculations in n out, you will pass Naplex without a problem. Know top 300 brand generics, and Combination HTN meds etc. You will do just fine. I studied about 10-12 days total I mean total. I passed just fine.
But........you're Dr. Awesome

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys,I am so bad with Number needed to treat Biostats,Can u guys help me.I saw cal in quiz bank,they gave me a jolt.

NNT = 1/ARR (Absolute Risk Reduction)
Where as ARR is calculated this way. ARR = EER - CER ( Experimental Event Rate - Control Event Rate)

Let me know If you didn't understand.

NNT = 1/ARR (Absolute Risk Reduction)
Where as ARR is calculated this way. ARR = EER - CER ( Experimental Event Rate - Control Event Rate)

Let me know If you didn't understand.
I think you have that backwards for ARR.
It should be ARR = (risk in control group) - (risk in treatment group)

When I referred two different books, I found two different formulas for ARR and also for RRR. Now I am confused.:confused: Which one is correct? Anybody, please help...

Last edited:
I think you have that backwards for ARR.
It should be ARR = (risk in control group) - (risk in treatment group)

This is correct. To summarize:
RR = risk of experimental group / risk of control group
RRR = 1 - RR = 1 - (risk of experimental group / risk of control group)
ARR = risk of control group - risk of experimental group
NNT = 1 / ARR = 1 / (risk of control group - risk of experimental group)

Always round UP to the nearest whole number for NNT
Always round DOWN to the nearest whole number for NNH

Risk of experimental group = number of subjects with event in the experimental arm / total number of subjects in experimental arm
Risk of control group = number of subjects with event in the control arm / total number of subjects in the control arm

I just took it on Monday. I highly recommend that before you begin the test, you take that optional pre-test that goes over the question types. I sat down at the computer freaking out and the pre-test really helped calm my nerves.

The actual test is not very pleasant to stare at for several hours with its crappy font and image resolution, so I recommend bringing eye drops to use before the test starts and during the break. Do not slow down and start to overthink easy questions just because you feel you have a lot of time left. You might get hit with 15 calculation questions right at the end..I literally finished the exam with one minute left., but thankfully I didn't have to start guessing just to finish in time.

I studied out of the rxprep book over a period of 5.5 days leading up to my test and passed with plenty of room. This test really is a minimum competency exam, which is why only about 6 people out of 200 from any given school fail.

We're all gonna make it.

Reactions: 1 users
I just took it on Monday. I highly recommend that before you begin the test, you take that optional pre-test that goes over the question types. I sat down at the computer freaking out and the pre-test really helped calm my nerves.

The actual test is not very pleasant to stare at for several hours with its crappy font and image resolution, so I recommend bringing eye drops to use before the test starts and during the break. Do not slow down and start to overthink easy questions just because you feel you have a lot of time left. You might get hit with 15 calculation questions right at the end..I literally finished the exam with one minute left., but thankfully I didn't have to start guessing just to finish in time.

I studied out of the rxprep book over a period of 5.5 days leading up to my test and passed with plenty of room. This test really is a minimum competency exam, which is why only about 6 people out of 200 from any given school fail.

We're all gonna make it.
Thanks for the advice!

I definitely thought the Rxprep quiz bank questions were harder than the actual naplex. I would always score 60-70% on them and sometimes that would even be with having to look up an answer or two. I passed with naplex with 120 so I am sure you can too! Do NOT overthink the questions. Some of them are really easy and you will probably want to second guess yourself but dont! I was freaking out because I got so many easy questions that I failed because I got all the normal type questions wrong. Dont stress out too much, its a basic competency exam and you will do great. I will say to master your calculations though because without that your chances are dramatically lowered.

as an undergrad that is about to apply for pharmacy school. What can I do now to prep for this test?

as an undergrad that is about to apply for pharmacy school. What can I do now to prep for this test?
Find a way to study for your classes that retains the most information. Try not to cram so much as you don't retain much when you cram. Also think about getting a pharmacy job during school. This is beneficial in numerous way such as job placement, improving time management, learning about pharmacy while at work, and learning pharmacy law. Otherwise just relax and get through your classes. You have a long way to go but you'll get there if you work hard enough.

I definitely thought the Rxprep quiz bank questions were harder than the actual naplex. I would always score 60-70% on them and sometimes that would even be with having to look up an answer or two. I passed with naplex with 120 so I am sure you can too! Do NOT overthink the questions. Some of them are really easy and you will probably want to second guess yourself but dont! I was freaking out because I got so many easy questions that I failed because I got all the normal type questions wrong. Dont stress out too much, its a basic competency exam and you will do great. I will say to master your calculations though because without that your chances are dramatically lowered.
Thanks for the advice....its good to hear that about calculations because that is one area I am strong in.