I feel like I'm never gonna get any A's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisismyacct

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm the person with the low GPA trying to turn it around. In the spring I got my stuff somewhat together and was able to get a DECENT GPA, as I had around a 3.30. This semester I'm retaking 2 of the pre-reqs I did poorly in, cell biology and lab (first upper level bio classes), and a couple of liberal arts classes.

I feel like no matter what I do I'm never going to get good enough grades. We took our first test in chem in October, the class average was a 50 and I got a 70. I got a 74 on the homework set because I legit had stuff come up and couldn't devote a lot of time to it. the quizzes and other little stuff barely affect my grade so I only have a 71/72 with the 2nd test upcoming.

I'm getting my butt handed to me in cell biology because I don't know how much to study and what exactly to study so I only have a C- in the class. the content itself is not that difficult, I just don't know how much of everything I should know and I feel like the professor would see me as a ***** if I went and asked him these questions.

I don't know what to do in my situation. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

The solution is simple, more effort. I always find these posts funny cause I think everyone knows what they need to do. Know everything and then taper back from there.

I doubt the professor is going to think you’re a *****. But even if he does, it’s not like you’re going to see him again after this class. Go talk to him, unless you’re okay with getting a C-.

Members don't see this ad :)
B's get degrees... so do C's and sometimes D's... but F's doesn't rhyme so it doesn't apply.... -drops the mic-

Talk to your professor and in most cases, knowing the powerpoints well enough will get you an A... no tricks here.

Reactions: 1 users
I used to be terrible during my first couple years in college then I started talking to other smart kids and the professors and learned "how to study" and what to study. This was so important in my growth as a student!
Doing fundamental things like having a strict schedule, testing myself/practice tests etc was what changed things for me and I went from a D,C,B student to an A student and to dental school.

Reactions: 1 users
I doubt the professor is going to think you’re a *****. But even if he does, it’s not like you’re going to see him again after this class. Go talk to him, unless you’re okay with getting a C-.

Getting less than a B is the last thing I want, and I might take an upper level elective with him again next semester. And he's the head of the bio department so that puts more pressure on me haha

I used to be terrible during my first couple years in college then I started talking to other smart kids and the professors and learned "how to study" and what to study. This was so important in my growth as a student!
Doing fundamental things like having a strict schedule, testing myself/practice tests etc was what changed things for me and I went from a D,C,B student to an A student and to dental school.

what else did they recommend?

Can't you, for example, search online for Cell biology lectures and notes.

I always do that when I study for a class, I don't depend on my professor only. I search for other resources online.

There are tons of online courses and youtube videos that makes taking an A easier!
You still have to work hard!

Here is a start.

Lectures at Yale
Cell Biology Lecture Study Notes - Lecture notes, lectures 1 - 12 - 300816: Cell Biology - StuDocu

And you need to go to your professor's office hours and ask questions always.

How are you gonna a get LOR if you don't go to the professor room every now and then?

Something useful is to be a member at Chegg so you can get the solution for your textbook or ask questions there.
Many students neglect the questions at the end of each chapter.
They are important.

Hi everyone, I'm the person with the low GPA trying to turn it around. In the spring I got my stuff somewhat together and was able to get a DECENT GPA, as I had around a 3.30. This semester I'm retaking 2 of the pre-reqs I did poorly in, cell biology and lab (first upper level bio classes), and a couple of liberal arts classes.

I feel like no matter what I do I'm never going to get good enough grades. We took our first test in chem in October, the class average was a 50 and I got a 70. I got a 74 on the homework set because I legit had stuff come up and couldn't devote a lot of time to it. the quizzes and other little stuff barely affect my grade so I only have a 71/72 with the 2nd test upcoming.

I'm getting my butt handed to me in cell biology because I don't know how much to study and what exactly to study so I only have a C- in the class. the content itself is not that difficult, I just don't know how much of everything I should know and I feel like the professor would see me as a ***** if I went and asked him these questions.

I don't know what to do in my situation. Any advice?

Well, I wasn't in the exact same shoes as you but I can kinda relate. I did very well my first year at college, I was pretty much a 4.0 student. My second year something happened to me and I got really depressed; I did extremely poorly and now my gpa is a 3.4.

I felt like you too, I just couldn't get my mind to work the way it did before, I couldn't focus, lose motivation etc. The new semester came and I was able mentally fortify myself and became independent from prescribed medication. What helped me is that I do a little bit everyday, instead of having a "hell week". It's working out really well for me and I'm back to my old self; I got a 96 on my last upper bio exam when the average was 70 and in my upper level physics I've gotten only 100 percents. In fact, I'm going to start re-reading my biochem notes right now lol.

You can do it! I believe in you!