I got a 160 on step, ask me anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrgoCoop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanna be like me? hmu for advice, you know you need it!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So OP, how hard did you have to study to be one of the lucky 5% who were able to score in that range?
I got 180 on the first try of NBOME before studying. Still it's a low score and my school decided to put me on Kaplan prep. I can tell you why we score that low:
1. Bad retention. Major factor. Some people have good short term memory - like me. It helped me prep for weekly exams during MS1 and MS2. However, I can hardly remember anything that we learned like a year ago, let alone 2 years ago. I mean I may remember only basic concepts, but no details lol.
2. People like us still finished 2nd year mind you. So it's not like we can't do it. It's just a lot harder for us. I only had 2 make up exams - both at the end of 2nd year. That set me for late study, while my classmates were already into UW/NBOME full study mode - I was still trying to pass that last 2 exams fml. Which pretty much means that passing your exams above 70% (like we do) still is not enough to do well on Step 1. Nope. You need more than that.
3. Bad study habits or bad study ethics. We don't study material using lots of interactive tools to help push it to long term memory. We don't usually use anki, we don't study in groups. Mainly we just go over handouts 2-3 times in a comfort of our homes/family and that is just enough to pass exam. And we move on. The rest of you - with good habits dedicate a lot more time and eventually get higher scores. Logical.
4. Finally remember that barely passing 70% vs getting A (92%) is only 22% difference. Getting a solid B+ is even less difference. So to put it in perspective on a scale from 1 to 10 - we are 7 while most of others are 9s and even more 8s. So difference is very small and it's all in how much work you put into studying during MS1/2. You woudn't expect everyone be like you right? Life is more complex.

What I also know is that becoming a good doctor - the one that patients will like and try to come back again and again is not correlated to your step1 scores. So this is just a step in a long path of becoming a good doctor. Just my opinion

Reactions: 1 user
I got 180 on the first try of NBOME before studying. Still it's a low score and my school decided to put me on Kaplan prep. I can tell you why we score that low:
1. Bad retention. Major factor. Some people have good short term memory - like me. It helped me prep for weekly exams during MS1 and MS2. However, I can hardly remember anything that we learned like a year ago, let alone 2 years ago. I mean I may remember only basic concepts, but no details lol.
2. People like us still finished 2nd year mind you. So it's not like we can't do it. It's just a lot harder for us. I only had 2 make up exams - both at the end of 2nd year. That set me for late study, while my classmates were already into UW/NBOME full study mode - I was still trying to pass that last 2 exams fml. Which pretty much means that passing your exams above 70% (like we do) still is not enough to do well on Step 1. Nope. You need more than that.
3. Bad study habits or bad study ethics. We don't study material using lots of interactive tools to help push it to long term memory. We don't usually use anki, we don't study in groups. Mainly we just go over handouts 2-3 times in a comfort of our homes/family and that is just enough to pass exam. And we move on. The rest of you - with good habits dedicate a lot more time and eventually get higher scores. Logical.
4. Finally remember that barely passing 70% vs getting A (92%) is only 22% difference. Getting a solid B+ is even less difference. So to put it in perspective on a scale from 1 to 10 - we are 7 while most of others are 9s and even more 8s. So difference is very small and it's all in how much work you put into studying during MS1/2. You woudn't expect everyone be like you right? Life is more complex.

What I also know is that becoming a good doctor - the one that patients will like and try to come back again and again is not correlated to your step1 scores. So this is just a step in a long path of becoming a good doctor. Just my opinion
Step scores do absolutely correlate with being a good doctor.....to the degree that not getting a passing score means you don’t get to be

Reactions: 3 users
Step scores do absolutely correlate with being a good doctor.....to the degree that not getting a passing score means you don’t get to be
That's a condition, not a correlation. There is no correlation between step 1 score and how patients will perceive you as a doctor: good or bad, the one they will want to come back or to avoid, the one your partners will want to work with or will try to hire another person instead, etc. I'm sure you know that and chose to play dumb. Btw this kind of response kinda steers you towards an dingus doctor. I hope you are not like that in real life, otherwise you going to have issues with your colleagues man. No one wants an dingus in their team. Just my opinion

That's a condition, not a correlation. There is no correlation between step 1 score and how patients will perceive you as a doctor: good or bad, the one they will want to come back or to avoid, the one your partners will want to work with or will try to hire another person instead, etc. I'm sure you know that and chose to play dumb. Btw this kind of response kinda steers you towards an dingus doctor. I hope you are not like that in real life, otherwise you going to have issues with your colleagues man. No one wants an dingus in their team. Just my opinion
But they do want someone with a passing board score.....which is why board scores actually do matter more than you pretend

It’s like a 220lb guy can be healthier than a 210lb guy. But weight does actually matter and a 210lb guy is safely assumed on avg to be healthier than a 700lb guy

If you had the option to either work with a physician who got 90th percentile scores on his boards or to work with one who got 50th percentile scores on his boards, ceteris paribus, would you flip a coin to decide?

The Step 1 exam tests for knowledge of the basic sciences, as well as information synthesis, graphical/tabular analysis, and applied problem solving skills -- and the questions are formally approved by a a group of highly regarded clinicians and faculty members. There's really no question that the knowledge and skills that it tests for are directly relevant to future performance in the medical profession; the NBME spends a lot of time and resources to ensure that the test is valid.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, so why are you calling people names and telling them they'll be bad doctors?

If you had the option to either work with a physician who got 90th percentile scores on his boards or to work with one who got 50th percentile scores on his boards, ceteris paribus, would you flip a coin to decide?

My pre-med friend you have a lot to learn. Actually, yes, if I was a partner and we have to pick one doctor who is well loved by patients and patients come back to him/her (even if he has 50th percentile step 1 score lol) I would opt for him/her because it will bring more money to the practice/clinic (as opposed to 90th percentile step 1 score doctor who has average patients skills). Welcome to the reality of life.

P.S. And lol at the notion that step 1 score really means anything at determining who to hire as an attending. At that point step 1 score will be way down the list on the priorities.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, so why are you calling people names and telling them they'll be bad doctors?
You are out of your element Donny. Just stick to your subjects. We'll talk later when you'll be doing rotations and your point of view will change. I've seen a lot of naive pre-meds and MS1/2 who got their la-la land ideas changed for more mature view of the world. Don't worry you'll get to that point too. They especially like to kick the **** out of such ideas in residency. People change dramatically and become more realistic without this sdn crap in their heads

Last edited:
But they do want someone with a passing board score.....which is why board scores actually do matter more than you pretend

It’s like a 220lb guy can be healthier than a 210lb guy. But weight does actually matter and a 210lb guy is safely assumed on avg to be healthier than a 700lb guy
You are right, but again - that's a condition that has to be met - there is no question about passing or not passing boards.

Last edited:
Hey guys I'm just curious as to if the NBME/CBSSA 3 digit step one score is accurate.... I took NBME 15 form got a 68.5% correct and that equates to a 184? And like a 75% is barely passing? Surely that isn't the case on the real test.. thoughts?