I got an interview in less than 24hrs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joleybear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
To my first choice! Creighton distance. I am so excited! PharmCAS took forever to fix my transcripts so the application just went through at about 3am and by 2:55pm I had an invitation email!!! Yay! Also, I got straight As! Organic Chemistry II, Calculus, Physical Science and Anthropology. Everything's coming up Milhouse! Anyone else interviewing?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol...why would you guys still want to go to pharmacy school? This shows how easy it is to get in to pharmacy schools today. Easy in, easy out....huge debt and no job ....

Reactions: 15 users
Good luck. Now if there was only a job available when you graduate.

Reactions: 3 users
Another unsuspecting student will graduate from online University of Phoenix. Dude will be jobless in 4 years with $200k debt and he is celebrating?

Reactions: 7 users
Congratulations.

However, it sounds like the schools are smartening up faster than students because they clearly know when to grab fast before bailing out.

Reactions: 1 user
its so ironic, Creighton was voted #1 pharmacy school back in 2008 or so when i applied. you know what they told me?
1) consider getting a MASTERS degree....lmao
2) consider more exp in pharmacy ( i was a tech since 1997!)
3) get a higher PCAT (essentially) i forget my score but it was real nice. Very competitive

And a few other things i cant even remember that were so ludicrous, the message was basically " don't come here" "we dont want you".
And NOW LOOK AT THEM.......The worm has really turned for them huh? guess i get the last laugh.

I of course was accepted to several other schools that year and went to Nova in South Florida right by my home......

These schools are getting desperate now. The field is so bad they simply cannot fill seats and will take anyone with a pulse.

true story....

Reactions: 1 users
its so ironic, Creighton was voted #1 pharmacy school back in 2008 or so when i applied. you know what they told me?
3) get a higher PCAT (essentially) i forget my score but it was real nice. Very competitive

And a few other things i cant even remember that were so ludicrous, the message was basically " don't come here" "we dont want you".
And NOW LOOK AT THEM.......The worm has really turned for them huh? guess i get the last laugh.

I of course was accepted to several other schools that year and went to Nova in South Florida right by my home......

These schools are getting desperate now. The field is so bad they simply cannot fill seats and will take anyone with a pulse.

true story....
So are you a pharmacist now?Is there jobs available or you don't have a job.I want to know the truth behind all the jobs stuff i have been hearing because i got accepted to Pharmacy school but i want to know from a current pharmacist his opinion about the field of pharmacy and what field of pharmacy will most likely have enough jobs in the future

So are you a pharmacist now?Is there jobs available or you don't have a job.I want to know the truth behind all the jobs stuff i have been hearing because i got accepted to Pharmacy school but i want to know from a current pharmacist his opinion about the field of pharmacy and what field of pharmacy will most likely have enough jobs in the future

Scheme the top 25 posts in each subtopical forum in pharmacy. You’ll quickly find your answer.

General consensus of our online pharmacists: If you must pull six-figure loans and expect 40 hour weeks with decent wages, look elsewhere.

You’ll get this answer in about 500-different shades of sentences. Nonetheless, if your not prepared or stepped in a pharmacy working, don’t ask about “niche” jobs in the field as they are dwindled.

Another unsuspecting student will graduate from online University of Phoenix. Dude will be jobless in 4 years with $200k debt and he is celebrating?

The OP got waitlisted. Maybe that will be one of the best things to happen to the OP. They won't have to take out $200k+ in loans and possibly have to uproot or even leave behind their special needs children for rotations and jobs.

I was chosen as an alternate. Is this bad or good? Lol

You know exactly what im gonna tell you. You have heard it a million times before by now. There are not nearly enough jobs right now and salaries are dropping big time. Why would this get any better by 2025? The schools are not stopping, the companies are downsizing continuously, and the loan debt keeps climbing. It almost seems intentional. If you go to school and attempt to be a pharmacist, it will ruin your life. You will think back to this post and say " damn, that guy was right"......now what do i do? " My advice? ask creighton if they will consider lowering their tuition to match the dropping salaries in order for you to safely pay back your loans without wrecking your life. if they say no, then you know they dont care about anything but money, NOT your future.

Members don't see this ad :)
TBH the last 3 people working for me who wanted to apply to pharmacy school got in unconditionally (some actually known to be "respectable" schools). Hint: they actually worked in pharmacy.

Getting waitlisted these days is pretty bad but could be a blessing in disguise.

I could still see > 64/hr starting for BFE Southwest retail,south Texas retail, California (depending on sector and location), and that's it.

I could still see > 64/hr starting for BFE Southwest retail,south Texas retail, California (depending on sector and location), and that's it.
Aren’t the BFE Texas retail pharmacies starting new grads out in the $30s/hr now?

Aren’t the BFE Texas retail pharmacies starting new grads out in the $30s/hr now?

Wag offered me $68/hr in Midland/Odessa last year. Guaranteed 90 hours per pay period. That area is booming super fast with oil business right now. They also offered 1.5x on floating to New Mexico every weekend. I would've potentially made $200k+ had I taken the job and worked every weekend lol

So this would really depend on where you work...

Are these joke threads? Jesus, pre-pharm students really are the bottom of the barrel in terms of intelligence. How do these clueless students continue to pat themselves on the back and brag when there are hundreds of open seats all over the nation that are short on gullible students?

Are these joke threads? Jesus, pre-pharm students really are the bottom of the barrel in terms of intelligence. How do these clueless students continue to pat themselves on the back and brag when there are hundreds of open seats all over the nation that are short on gullible students?
Your status says pharmacy student though...

Your status says pharmacy student though...

I was a student who was LIED to. You can read my thread on this if you are curious how I was lied to.

TLDR: school pharmacists/professors/Dean lied to me and said SDN was wrong and that the market was not saturated. I openly asked since I did my research prior to applying to Pharm. After the loans racked up and years were completed, the school said I was right in my prediction of the market and that SDN was right, students can't find jobs. If I could slap them in their lying mouths without consequences, I would. I was stupid and gullible too and now I am stuck because these POSs wanted my tuition money to pay their salaries (which I wasn't aware of at the time).

Reactions: 2 users
I was a student who was LIED to. You can read my thread on this if you are curious how I was lied to.

Well then you shouldn't be surprised it is still happening. Pharmacy students are still being lied to, that is why so many of them are ignoring everything they hear on SDN and still going to pharmacy school. Exactly what you did.

It only takes 5 minutes of google search to realize how bad an idea it is to get into pharmacist profession.

But current pharmacy school candidates... they might not be the brightest bunch after all.

Don`t get offended. I am not talking about you. I am talking about others. Not you, a promising shining star, you.
You are special and you will be fiiiiine!

Reactions: 5 users
Haha! Talk about raining on this poor guys parade..

Just realized this is a necro thread

Last edited:

Would you rather we sugar coat it with lies like pharmacy schools do?

Reactions: 2 users

Don't feel bad for Jolie being told the truth, she is the one who will feel bad when she realizes everything we have said is true. She says she absolutely cannot leave the Chicago area because of her special needs children.....never mind that there are SIX (yes six!) pharmacy schools in Chicago, and zero open pharmacist jobs. Jolie is convinced that because there is a pharmacy on every corner, she will have no problem getting a phamacy job. If you want a job in Chicago, then a PharmD is NOT the degree to get. It seems obvious, if one is limited to a geographical area, then look at what jobs are actually hiring in that area, and get educated for one of those jobs.

I recently learned that residency programs are a huge money making incentive for schools... how jacked up is that? Only about a handful that's gone through residency will actually do what they're trained for. And for what? b/c school wanted to make extra money? you lose out on 2 years worth of pharmacist salary just to go back to doing exactly what you've done had you just gone straight into work force... sad truth.

It takes real pieces of **** to lying to students just so these professors and deans can pay their salary. I know a few honest professors from my school that left quickly after my program started. These professors were the ones that couldn't lie to people and new the schools were looking out for the students. By this time, it was already too late to quit and I was stuck with loans that would be unpayable in my old job (I didn't have loans in my old job/before pharm school).

I recently learned that residency programs are a huge money making incentive for schools... how jacked up is that? Only about a handful that's gone through residency will actually do what they're trained for. And for what? b/c school wanted to make extra money? you lose out on 2 years worth of pharmacist salary just to go back to doing exactly what you've done had you just gone straight into work force... sad truth.

How so? I'd really like to know. What I know is that a little over 50% of pharm students are now applying to residency and most will not get a job afterwards because it is saturated now. At my school, some of our top students didn't land a residency. A lot of female grads did though, even though they weren't the cream of the crop. Soon the pay in the hospitals will also decrease because of the supply and demand rule and the few jobs in retail. It is going to be crazier than it is now. Can you imagine the pharmacy world in just a few years? Dog eat dog world.

true story....
You guys are sad people and obviously a lot of the people commenting are very bitter. I was a straight A student at the time of applying (not 4.0 GPA but I had straight As for multiple semesters) while dealing with two special needs children, one other child and working multiple jobs. Lol. So excuse me if I don't considerate it "desperate" to accept me. I also took the PCAT while sick with a fever without studying at all and did better than a lot of people who study.

Don't feel bad for Jolie being told the truth, she is the one who will feel bad when she realizes everything we have said is true. She says she absolutely cannot leave the Chicago area because of her special needs children.....never mind that there are SIX (yes six!) pharmacy schools in Chicago, and zero open pharmacist jobs. Jolie is convinced that because there is a pharmacy on every corner, she will have no problem getting a phamacy job. If you want a job in Chicago, then a PharmD is NOT the degree to get. It seems obvious, if one is limited to a geographical area, then look at what jobs are actually hiring in that area, and get educated for one of those jobs.
I have spoken to multiple Pharmacists in my area and there are a decent amount of open jobs in Chicago. Almost every Pharmacist I have worked with so far loves their job and career. A couple are fresh out of school. You guys really need help. lol.

• Haha
Wag offered me $68/hr in Midland/Odessa last year. Guaranteed 90 hours per pay period. That area is booming super fast with oil business right now. They also offered 1.5x on floating to New Mexico every weekend. I would've potentially made $200k+ had I taken the job and worked every weekend lol

So this would really depend on where you work...

Just one example showing how people like to act like we live in a Third World country and everyone is starving (metaphor).

If you cannot find a job you simply are missing something. There are jobs out there. A simple job search shows you there are available positions. Just because you were not a desirable applicant does not mean the jobs do not exist. I saw someone on here whining about making $52 an hour to start. Seriously? Lol.

It's ironic that I hadn't been on here in forever and happened to come on now. lmso. Anyway, I'm a mother of three, two with disabilities, and I have all B+ and As in school right now while also working part-time as a tech and content writer. I have found the time to run 5 ks, participate in school Organizations (yes, even from a distance) and have a hobby. I think a lot of the people here need hobbies. I recommend it. lol

• Haha
Whoa boy - here it comes

Usually, I would reply to every comment individually, just because it feels rude otherwise, but there's too much bs so I am done at this point unless there's something super interesting here. Lol.

If you cannot find a job you simply are missing something. There are jobs out there. A simple job search shows you there are available positions. Just because you were not a desirable applicant does not mean the jobs do not exist. I saw someone on here whining about making $52 an hour to start. Seriously? Lol.
When was the last time you went job hunting? Most, if not all, of those positions are fake. You know how I know or am very sure about this? I used that list for a pharmacy tech position, visited each location in person, talked to the PIC or store manager about the position, and each of them told me there is no opening and that the position posted online is not accurate.
My strategy had to change from using that list to just applying everywhere online and hitting up random pharmacies. Eventually after about 2 weeks of doing this everyday, 1 pharmacy really far away called me for an interview. And this was lucky because I didn't receive anymore calls after this.
Now imagine if 100+ people in your area did this. How high do you think your probability of finding a job is? You aren't the only one in your city looking for the same job.

People aren't just saying negative things just to be negative. If you actually think people are just trolling you, you need to wise up. However, if you are aware of the situation but am willing to continue forward then good luck to you.

Last edited:
  • Love
Usually, I would reply to every comment individually, just because it feels rude otherwise, but there's too much bs so I am done at this point unless there's something super interesting here. Lol.

Your a pharmacy student in Chicago? Is that what I gather from this thread?

People aren't just saying negative things just to be negative. If you actually think people are just trolling you, you need to wise up. However, if you are aware of the situation but am willing to continue forward then good luck to you.

Joleybear said the market is doing GREAT because a few unaware pharmacists. Nothing more needs to be said to help her. Owe that loan.

You guys are sad people and obviously a lot of the people commenting are very bitter. I was a straight A student at the time of applying (not 4.0 GPA but I had straight As for multiple semesters) while dealing with two special needs children, one other child and working multiple jobs. Lol. So excuse me if I don't considerate it "desperate" to accept me. I also took the PCAT while sick with a fever without studying at all and did better than a lot of people who study.

Hey im not saying creighton only was desperate for YOU, they are desperate for ANYONE.....filling seats is tough because most pre-pharms have bailed knowing full well they have no future here. Am i bitter? hmmm... ive been a tech since 97', licensed pharm since 2012. over 20 years in the field, loved my job, and am now slowly seeing the entire industry recede, as the companies push us out the door no matter how hard or long we work... Rug ripped right out from under ALL of us. So yeah im a little bitter.... but not at you....

and what your hearing has NOTHING to do with PCAT scores or what you will learn in school. It is about the job market/industry. You HAVE to learn to separate the two and understand them equally as well. Just like you did on your PCAT and how proud you were? I want you to research the industry and job market problems. Until then.... show me the money. At the end of the day, thats all that matters. PCAT scores and straight A's wont feed your family or buy medicine for your special needs child.....

Some schools are desperately trying to fill seats now that's for sure. The school I went to for the class 2 years below me, they were so desperate to just fill those seats that they accepted people WAY below the standard requirements. The faculty were pissed for sure because there was a fail rate of about 50% for 1 class which was a record for the school. Unlike the past, where schools actively searched for employment for students so they would graduate into a position, they don't do that anymore because well...There just isn't that many jobs. Nevertheless, there are still jobs out there to be filled because there are always those new grads with very high standards that refuse to take any position that isn't say...$60 an hour with 0 experience when the average is around $52~ around here for chains.

"I don't concern myself with the opinions of people with Harry Potter quotes in their avatar"

• Haha
To my first choice! Creighton distance. I am so excited! PharmCAS took forever to fix my transcripts so the application just went through at about 3am and by 2:55pm I had an invitation email!!! Yay! Also, I got straight As! Organic Chemistry II, Calculus, Physical Science and Anthropology. Everything's coming up Milhouse! Anyone else interviewing?
You seem like very smart dude. Your GPA is probably great. If I were in your shoes, I would do something else like Medicine or engineering. There is demand for Physicians and Engineers unlike Pharmacy. The profession of pharmacy is going down hill due to saturation. If you want to stay in pharmacy, you should start looking for a job in pharmacy as a intern whenever your school gives you your intern license. You will be shocked by these words, but your grades in pharmacy school mean nothing. It’s all about networking and connections in order to get a job.

I have spoken to multiple Pharmacists in my area and there are a decent amount of open jobs in Chicago. Almost every Pharmacist I have worked with so far loves their job and career. A couple are fresh out of school. You guys really need help. lol.

Lots of pharmacists love their job and career (I do!)....loving one's job has nothing to do with job availability. If a pharmacist hasn't been job hunting in the past 5 years, and they aren't a member of this board, they are probably clueless about the amount of competition for jobs and how few jobs are available compared to the amount of people looking for them. When an average job opening gets 300+ applicants from the Chicago area looking for a job....well, statistically you can see that jobs are not very plentiful. I assume you've had statistics?

Anyway, I do wish you the best of luck. If you were going into this understanding the saturation situation, and still choosing to go into it,I would feel a lot better about your situation. As it is, I am scared for you. Suggestion, call around to the places that have job listings, and ask them if they have any pharmacists positions open.