I have a dilemma. What are your thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurePT1313

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, let me tell you about myself. Im 23. I was accepted to only 1 out of 10 PT schools last year as the last person off the wait list in my first year applying out of undergrad. I was absolutely thrilled because I was (and still am) sure that physical therapy is a profession I can be very successful in and truly enjoy. My academic history was not the best and I worked my ass off the last 2 years of undergrad to have a chance and it came through for me.

The first semester of PT school was a battle. The program has a problem based learning curriculum and we are responsible for finding all information necessary from a list of books with essentially no guidance. This was fine, and it is doable. 49 other class mates did it. However, I struggled because of numerous factors. One being that I did not have the same mentality in undergrad, which got me into PT school. My transition to graduate school did not go as planned and I was offered to repeat the semester this coming August. After much time and thought, I have mentally prepared myself and know what it is going to take to be successful, graduate and pass the NPTE. I know I can do this.

Now for the complicated part:

With all of this time off, I have been thinking about the amount of debt that I am going to owe. With undergrad, grad, and living expenses im looking at 160k in federal loans before interest.

So the 160k does not include the cost of my first semester of PT school. After the semester ended, I searched for a job as a personal trainer. I started in March and am on pace right not to make around 70k in a year. A job with this company has around a 90-100k ceiling.

Therefore, in 4 months I have saved enough money to pay for the semester wasted.

I do not truly enjoy training people because it is not as challenging or interesting as physical therapy. I am very confident that my people skills and business sense (which has allowed me to do extremely well in the personal training business) will one day make me a successful owner of a clinic. I should add that I have excelled as a personal trainer. More so than anyone in the company ever has. I just don't see myself doing this for the rest of my life. I wake up at 5am most days to train people in the morning, have large gaps in my days, and then train people at night.

I ask myself, is going back to school worth taking on all this debt? Is it realistic for me to own a clinic before age 40 with all of this debt? Can you really live a comfortable life with 160k in loans? I'll be making about the same amount of money right out of school but with 160k in loans. I'm just curious to see what people think about this situation. I plan to go back to school, but would like to hear what others think. If you're interested, please leave your thoughts. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am copying-and-pasting the advice I recently gave to somebody with a similar question to yours:

"Only you can decide if it's worth it or not, since we all have our personal requirements when it comes to financial matters.

My usual advice is to project yourself into the future: research salaries (esp. starting salaries), estimate your living expenses + loan payments + taxes, and see if you can live with what's left. If yes, then go get the degrees. Else, find cheaper schools or a different career."

I am copying-and-pasting the advice I recently gave to somebody with a similar question to yours:

"Only you can decide if it's worth it or not, since we all have our personal requirements when it comes to financial matters.

My usual advice is to project yourself into the future: research salaries (esp. starting salaries), estimate your living expenses + loan payments + taxes, and see if you can live with what's left. If yes, then go get the degrees. Else, find cheaper schools or a different career."
I have decided to go back but I am interested to hear the opinion of others. I figure, why not?

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not truly enjoy training people because it is not as challenging or interesting as physical therapy...I ask myself, is going back to school worth taking on all this debt? Is it realistic for me to own a clinic before age 40 with all of this debt?

You've answered your own question. Neither option is good but you only have one life to live, so you might as well enjoy it. Do something that makes your truly happy and accept the costs. With that kind of debt, you might have to delay marriage and buying a home, and potentially forego kids. I don't know how old you are but my last CI opened his first clinic in his 30's. Consult people like Jared Carter and I'm sure you can make it happen.

How are you making $70k as a personal trainer? That's crazy!

You've answered your own question. Neither option is good but you only have one life to live, so you might as well enjoy it. Do something that makes your truly happy and accept the costs. With that kind of debt, you might have to delay marriage and buying a home, and potentially forego kids. I don't know how old you are but my last CI opened his first clinic in his 30's. Consult people like Jared Carter and I'm sure you can make it happen.

How are you making $70k as a personal trainer? That's crazy!

I'm going to be 24 in August. I work for a high end gym in the the New York City area. However, I established myself at a rate faster than anyone else has in the company. What I've done is not the norm. Honestly if I keep gaining clients I could make up to $100k if my schedule permitted that many clients. As I mentioned earlier, this stuff is not interesting or challenging for me and I can't see myself doing it forever.

You are young....if I were in your shoes, I would not start school (again) in August, rather work for another year making 70K+ and save like crazy. I would also do a reapplication cycle and see if you can get in somewhere cheaper. By pushing your plan back 1 more year, you could potentially cut your debt in 1/2 (depending on how cheap you can live this year and how much you can cut tuition by applying other places).

You are young....if I were in your shoes, I would not start school (again) in August, rather work for another year making 70K+ and save like crazy. I would also do a reapplication cycle and see if you can get in somewhere cheaper. By pushing your plan back 1 more year, you could potentially cut your debt in 1/2 (depending on how cheap you can live this year and how much you can cut tuition by applying other places).
This isn't a bad idea. I don't think it is worth the risk of hoping I'm accepted somewhere else, because then I'm stuck and PT school isn't even an option anymore if I'm not accepted.

Last edited: