I have a SERIOUS concern...!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonnaBeAnMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everytime I watch shows like Grey's Anatomy, ER or some Discovery Channel show about medicine, I get really depressed about going through the process. The process of being spoken down to, disrespected, placed under tremendous stress by what the job brings you + doctors and nurses, unappreciated, the hierarchy, etc....

Do you guys actually watch these kind of shows and say " I can't wait to be put into that position"? Or does this bring about a sense of anxiety like it does to me? Sometimes it makes me reconsider medicine as a whole, but I know things will change once I'm in private practice.

I'm just wondering if you guys actually watch these shows and look forward to those hard times as a 3rd/4th year, intern and resident.

Members don't see this ad.

ok i know ill sound stupid but i seriously watch those shows and cant wait to go into medicine...the thing is i know medicine is very far from those representations especially the hollywood dramas, but i cant help but get excited about the profession...sometimes though i get scared with shows like House, where you have to be so extremely quick on your feet..I guess its something i have to learn..im just rambling

Just think positively and don't let people get to you. Medicine can be a high stress job. However I prefer to take Van Wilder's advise, "Don't take life too seriously or you'll never get out alive."

Members don't see this ad :)
GonnaBeAnMD said:
Everytime I watch shows like Grey's Anatomy, ER or some Discovery Channel show about medicine, I get really depressed about going through the process. The process of being spoken down to, disrespected, placed under tremendous stress by what the job brings you + doctors and nurses, unappreciated, the hierarchy, etc....

Do you guys actually watch these kind of shows and say " I can't wait to be put into that position"? Or does this bring about a sense of anxiety like it does to me? Sometimes it makes me reconsider medicine as a whole, but I know things will change once I'm in private practice.

I'm just wondering if you guys actually watch these shows and look forward to those hard times as a 3rd/4th year, intern and resident.

Here's the thing. Unless you are self employed, pretty much every job you'll have, has some kind of a hierarchy and you might get treated like crap anyways.There will always be individuals in a power position who take a special pleasure in making someone below them feel lik sh(t .

The process is hard, that's why not everyone is going to medschool. Sometimes stress will differentiate between someone who can think in an emergency situtaions form those who crack under pressure. Sometimes that test needs to be there (Emergency surgery, etc), sometimes it's just there to humiliate or humble a student.

So....ask yourself, how important is it for you to become a physician. I juggled different jobs in different fields. All of them had office politics, or back stabbing, ass-kissing individuals.What should matter to you, is that even if all those things are present, you still want to come into work every day because of what you do.

so, those tv shows are dramas... and while some of that goes on, it definitely isn't the focus of 3rd & 4th years, or residency.

just like practicing law isn't like being on "Ali McBeal".

I'm adding this thread to my favorites... I need to come back and read this when I get down. It's true that the politics exist in all workplaces unless you are self-employed, but I won't look forward to going to work during those years if the environment is anything that those TV shows portray it to be - however it is a means to an end and most likely worth it. Just as long as I don't crack in the process. That **** looks really painful.

sdn pumps me up and gets me focused really.

SDN keeps me UNfocused. I should be finishing up secondaries so that I can send them off tomorrow.... But my brain hurts.

GonnaBeAnMD said:
but I won't look forward to going to work during those years if the environment is anything that those TV shows portray it to be - That **** looks really painful.

TV shows need ratings, sometimes they have to blow things out of proportion. The best way to get the feel of how things really are is to either talk & ask MS3/ MS4 students, or volunteer in a teaching hospital.

GonnaBeAnMD said:

You know, it's funny. If you'd asked me this question two years ago, I would have said YES oh God YES they make me anxious. So anxious. I used to watch those shows, in particular the Trauma-type shows on Discovery Health and think "oh, wow, I'm glad I'm not the one sewing that guy back together." It used to give me this sense of relief that I wasn't in those doctors' shoes.

Now, though, it gets me fired up. I think the difference is in overall stress levels. Two years ago I was uncertain about what I was going to do with my life. I wasn't sure if medicine was for me. I was afraid of the process, afraid of the committment, afraid of the scut, afraid of the stress, and afraid of the pain I would inflict on others in the course of doing procedures. All I could think about was the negative. Now, I've spent a couple years working in a medical setting. I know this is what I want to do. I have no doubt that I'm choosing the right career path, and I'm starting to think of the amazing things I'll be able to do; the difference I'll be able to make in peoples' lives. I think back on the past couple years to the small things I've done for people, and I think, wow, if I can make a difference at the lowest level, just think what I can do with years of training! I'm not stressed or anxious about my path in life, so I don't get stressed or anxious about thinking about it.

So no, it's not at all weird that you're getting worried while watching these shows. It means you're thinking things through; possibly even overthinking them. Try to relax and consider other things in your life that might be stressing you out and making you focus on your worries like this. That said, nah, I don't look forward to the lack of respect and the scut. But that too shall pass. :)

krasnayana said:
TV shows need ratings, sometimes they have to blow things out of proportion. The best way to get the feel of how things really are is to either talk & ask MS3/ MS4 students, or volunteer in a teaching hospital.

Actually, from what I've heard a lot of the time the doctors are actually way too nice to their underling doctors in the TV shows. :rolleyes: There is a strict hierarchy in the hospital with you coming in near the bottom. At times everyone in the hierarchy will be under stress and will not have had enough sleep. So at times, someone will make a mistake and get yelled or berated by a more senior doctor. They in turn may later take it out on whoever is under them. (The s**t flows downhill). The newer people coming in are more apt to make mistakes, and thus will get yelled at or berated more. Of course there will be attendings and residents who are very patient, good teachers and almost never get stressed, but there will be at least as many who are the reverse.
While this kind of hierarchy of hell is true in every profession to some degree, I think there is simply more stress and intensity in medicine where life and death issues are at stake. The best way to minimize the abuse is to watch, listen, learn and try not to make the same mistakes twice.

TexPre-Med said:
Just think positively and don't let people get to you. Medicine can be a high stress job. However I prefer to take Van Wilder's advise, "Don't take life too seriously or you'll never get out alive."

"WRITE THAT DOWN!!!!" (sorry, just had to! ;) )

The truth is, med students always bitch about being talked down to because they've never been out in the real world. I can't imagine the guy who works the fryelator at McDonald's gets more respect. Or Dilbert, who works in the cubicle, and gets bitched at because the copier is broken, or the radiology tech who gets yelled at because the film developer doesn't work today. As a wise man once said, we're all just squirrels trying to get our nuts.

Incidentally, sometimes they get talked down to BECAUSE they've never been out in the real world. MANY, MANY med students are overprivileged types who haven't held a full-time job (other than "research tech") for more than a year at the most. Now they're parachuted into these clinical situations involving real people, real problems, real responsibilities, real decisions and real consequences. That's an adjustment to some med students--maybe the majority of them. I think the higher-ups often get carried away and apply the "Put you in your place" philosophy to ALL students, when the reality is only the squirmy, squirrely, smarmy, cocky, over-privileged ones require those lessons. ;)

rpkall said:
Incidentally, sometimes they get talked down to BECAUSE they've never been out in the real world. MANY, MANY med students are overprivileged types who haven't held a full-time job (other than "research tech") for more than a year at the most. Now they're parachuted into these clinical situations involving real people, real problems, real responsibilities, real decisions and real consequences. That's an adjustment to some med students--maybe the majority of them. I think the higher-ups often get carried away and apply the "Put you in your place" philosophy to ALL students, when the reality is only the squirmy, squirrely, smarmy, cocky, over-privileged ones require those lessons. ;)

I suspect there's some truth to that -- good point. Hope that means those of us who are obviously non-traditionals will escape some of the wrath.

rpkall said:
The truth is, med students always bitch about being talked down to because they've never been out in the real world. I can't imagine the guy who works the fryelator at McDonald's gets more respect. Or Dilbert, who works in the cubicle, and gets bitched at because the copier is broken, or the radiology tech who gets yelled at because the film developer doesn't work today. As a wise man once said, we're all just squirrels trying to get our nuts.

:thumbup:

TexPre-Med said:

So true :D

GonnaBeAnMD said:

In all honesty, I have never watched one of those shows that you mentioned. I occassionally watch one of those Learning Channel specials with the emergency room or trauma or something but nothing regularly. I know that while these shows are "reality"-based esp the ones on discovery and TLC, the other shows like Grey's Anatomy, ER are not representative of real life medicine.

As one of the other posters said, unless you are self-employed there's always some office bureacratic ring you have to jump through and get treated like ****. One of my closest friends recently graduated from he PA program and during her rotations, she had to go through some bad experiences. But hey, thems the apples. But instead of worrying about it now and getting anxious , I think the best thing to do is take the experience as it comes to you. Remember, experience is the best teacher. You might see something on TV and get depressed or angry by putting yourself in the hypothetical situation. But chances are you will not harbor the same feelings/emotions in real life when faced with the same situation.

RayhanS1282 said:
But instead of worrying about it now and getting anxious , I think the best thing to do is take the experience as it comes to you. Remember, experience is the best teacher. You might see something on TV and get depressed or angry by putting yourself in the hypothetical situation. But chances are you will not harbor the same feelings/emotions in real life when faced with the same situation.

Really true and awesome posts guys :thumbup:

Dr2010 said:
ok i know ill sound stupid but i seriously watch those shows and cant wait to go into medicine...the thing is i know medicine is very far from those representations especially the hollywood dramas, but i cant help but get excited about the profession...sometimes though i get scared with shows like House, where you have to be so extremely quick on your feet..I guess its something i have to learn..im just rambling
I agree I watch the shows and look forward to it. I'm not going to pretend that some of it doesn't scare me.

To the OP: have you shadowed a physician yet or done volunteer work? That will help you see how it really is. Oh and I don't mind as a med student being at the bottom of the hierachy. I certainly believe those as experienced doctors who will be teaching me what i want to learn deserve my respect. Hope you can change yoru attitude about that because it's part of the process. All the best...