I have a tendency to capture everything with Anki

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ManaPool

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
and its terribly inefficient and time consuming, but I can't stop myself from thinking every line on lecture notes is incredibly important.

How did any of you overcome this making flash cards in general.

Members don't see this ad.

Make them by the old fashion way. You start to prioritize or else you'll never finish making them. Although if you're truly OCPD then you'd rather make them completely mirror the lecture than learn them.

I think you're screwed.

I read through the lecture notes at least 3 times before making flashcards. It helps turn on the filter. The last 2 times I read through I write down things I'm afraid I will forget and then I finally make flashcards. I also read everything again the day before the test and make a page or two of notes. That helps me not over-do on the flashcards because I figure if I do forget it I will see it again when I go through everything that last time.

This also ensures I am understanding everything correctly--sometimes having several lectures under your belt makes you look at everything differently.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school, there are usually 2-3 questions per lecture on the block exam (on average). I try to keep my Anki cards at a minimum. I look through the lecture with First Aid, and only make cards about the most important stuff, or things that I am prone to forget. It took some getting used to, but now the system works for me at least.

1) Collaborate with a few competent friends to split the workload
2) Prioritize based on pre-existing resources, e.g. First Aid anki deck (conservative) or DrWillbe's anki deck (liberal)

Although, the advantage to having a lot of stuff on Anki cards is that you can search them later. That's been almost the main reason why I've kept up with making cards - if I come across something that I think we've heard before, all I have to do is search anki which virtually makes all my notes from this year searchable. I don't know another way to do this (I think onenote can do this, but I don't have it). Also, if we go over something we've already done before, then I already basically have a card made.

Edit: I lied. Spotlight in mac can do this. Regardless, anki is still quicker.

Last edited:
Although, the advantage to having a lot of stuff on Anki cards is that you can search them later. That's been almost the main reason why I've kept up with making cards - if I come across something that I think we've heard before, all I have to do is search anki which virtually makes all my notes from this year searchable. I don't know another way to do this (I think onenote can do this, but I don't have it). Also, if we go over something we've already done before, then I already basically have a card made.

Edit: I lied. Spotlight in mac can do this. Regardless, anki is still quicker.

this

also remember that if your daily review schedule gets overwhelming you can always counteract that by timeboxing or spreading out your reviews. and i also recommend suspending cards from previous blocks that contain trivial facts that aren't high yield for boards like origin/insertion/action/innervation of random muscles or the mechanism of action of your biochem professor's favorite enzyme. this way they are still in your browser and you can look them up but they won't bog you down on your daily reviews.

I use anki for heavy memory subject and minimal parts of First Aid. That's it.

I used anki quite a bit before, but as M2 progressed, it was far to inefficient as a primary tool. In the end, I would say I use it for less than 15% of the material I learn. Logically remembering things is much more efficient - which is essentially what the program Pathoma does.