I have some questions for those who attended/are attending DO schools.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kemosabe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have a few questions:
1) What are your experiences learning Osteopathy medical techniques (OMM) like and what do you think of it? Would you say it complements the standard medical school curriculum?
2) How easy is it to participate in research and community service opportunities at your school?
3) How difficult was it to balance studying for the COMLEX and USMLE on top of coursework? Is there enough to do both without it significantly impacting your ability to learn in medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) All of the "standard" medical school curriculum is part of osteopathic medicine. That's why we get a degree in Osteopathic Medicine, not Osteopathy. Additional training in OMM and osteopathic principles is provided. I feel that I could be a fine physician without these components but also that they do provide some extra tools to use, such as an osteopathic approach to developing a differential diagnosis or knowing what normal tissue feels like, extra practice inspecting for gait and asymmetry, and so forth, in addition to any manual techniques we learn.

2) At COMP - Community service - easy. It is a requirement in the first year and most people do more than is required. Research is available but you have to pursue it actively.

3) I am going through this right now. Most people mostly study for USMLE with supplemental COMLEX prep. Towards the end of second year the courseload is reduced substantially and the classes do not require as much dedicated outside study, thus making it possible to spend some time on boards prep every day if you're disciplined. We also get five weeks after the end of the curriculum to study for and take our boards.

Reactions: 1 user
I just have a few questions:
1) What are your experiences learning Osteopathy medical techniques (OMM) like and what do you think of it? Would you say it complements the standard medical school curriculum?
2) How easy is it to participate in research and community service opportunities at your school?
3) How difficult was it to balance studying for the COMLEX and USMLE on top of coursework? Is there enough to do both without it significantly impacting your ability to learn in medical school?

(1) Yes, it complements the standard curriculum. I enjoyed it. How you feel about it will depend on you. I'm in an ACGME residency and my MD colleagues often ask me to use my skills on them.
(2) At my school, it was encouraged and even required with respect to community service.
(3) I didn't take the USMLE, but at least half my class did and it was just fine. By the latter half of second year, you know what you have to do to pass coursework. You spend most of your time studying for boards. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll let the students handle this one.

Easy at mine. We have a number of venues for both.

It definitely can be done. Many of my students consider COMLEX a mere annoyance they have to get out of the way so they can handle USMLE.
The routine advice I give my students is that if you're doing well in your coursework, then you can handle both USMLE and COMLEX.

I'll let the students handle this one.

Easy at mine. We have a number of venues for both.

It definitely can be done. Many of my students consider COMLEX a mere annoyance they have to get out of the way so they can handle USMLE.
The routine advice I give my students is that if you're doing well in your coursework, then you can handle both USMLE and COMLEX.

Oh wise and powerful Goro, do you know if osteopathic residencies place more value on COMLEX vs USMLE? Or is it more just seen as a "rite of passage" and USMLE is what matters most in residency placement (I know this is speculative because of the merger but just wondering)

Good question! I'll have to ask one of our clinical deans.

Oh wise and powerful Goro, do you know if osteopathic residencies place more value on COMLEX vs USMLE? Or is it more just seen as a "rite of passage" and USMLE is what matters most in residency placement (I know this is speculative because of the merger but just wondering)

They want the COMLEX. I'm not even sure they know how to judge the USMLE. You're not even required to list your USMLE score when you're applying in the osteopathic match.

Good question! I'll have to ask one of our clinical deans.

They want the COMLEX. I'm not even sure they know how to judge the USMLE. You're not even required to list your USMLE score when you're applying in the osteopathic match.

Thanks guys- so I assume most osteopathic students don't assume they're going to match AOA then since by the sounds of it most place more emphasis on USMLE

Thanks guys- so I assume most osteopathic students don't assume they're going to match AOA then since by the sounds of it most place more emphasis on USMLE

Actually, most don't take the USMLE. At my school it was less than half the class who took the USMLE. Don't forget, the USMLE is not a requirement to match ACGME and many, if not most, DO students match AOA anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
OP:

1) It's not so much a compliment to course work as it is just an additional course. It gives you a stronger grasp of certain things like anatomy and the autonomic system, but that's not necessarily the point of it. As a course is fine, some things will be valuable, and others won't make sense. It's a skill that will be useful in certain fields (FM & PM&R), but probably not in others.

2) Community service, extremely easy. Research, you have to do more footwork for that, but opportunities exist if you put in the effort for it.

3) Studying for boards is studying for boards. The tests cover the same material, except for OMM. Most people take the exams within a few days of each other, so it really isn't a huge deal.

Osteopathic residencies as a rule place more emphasis on the COMLEX, for basically the same reason ACGME programs prefer the USMLE: the majority of applicants to the program take that test. In the case of the osteopathic residencies EVERY applicant takes the COMLEX, so that would be an easier test to compare people with.

Most DOs don't take the USMLE, despite the fact that 55% go ACGME. Taking it just opens your doors to more ACGME programs (some explicitly require it and others prefer it).