I just won’t take calculus???

Round786

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I’m currently in the process of selecting my freshman fall classes (not officially, I’m just neurotic). I initially planned to take Calc 1, but I discovered that my SAT math score does not meet the cutoff. So I would need to take Pre-calculus. My college does offer a test where if I scored more then 75%, I can circumvent the prerequisites for calc 1. But I’m starting to think I do not even need to take calculus. I scored a 5 on the AP Calc BC test so I can just skip calc 1 and 2 altogether. And my target school, Morsani, doesn’t even explicitly state that I need to take Calc 1 and 2. So I basically have 3 options right now:

1) Take the test and hopefully score well enough to do Calc 1

2) Email department head and ask them to waive the prerequisites for Calc 1 (they should do that right??? I scored a freakin 5 in AP Calc BC)

3. Use my AP credit to just skip Calculus 1 and 2 and instead take Intro to stats, whatever class is after intro to stats (biostats?), and Calc 3 (in that order).

What do you guys recommend? Sorry if I sound on edge, I haven’t slept in 2 days cause I’ve been writing a book report for my AP Literature Class.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your goal in life?

If you are pre-anything, you need to check your graduate institutions' requirements. Example: If you want to go to Hopkins for medical school, you need to be aware that they specifically require letter grades of calculus 1 and 2, without AP credits being used for either.

Reactions: 2 users
What is your goal in life?

If you are pre-anything, you need to check your graduate institutions' requirements. Example: If you want to go to Hopkins for medical school, you need to be aware that they specifically require letter grades of calculus 1 and 2, without AP credits being used for either.

I am pre-med. Also Hopkins does not specifically require a letter grade from Calc 1 and 2.

Prerequisites, Requirements and Policies | Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine M.D. Program

But I could imagine that I would be less competitive compared to someone that took and got As in both. I should just go with the second option right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fair enough. They changed that since I last looked.

Play it like a game. Calc is useless in medicine, and I'm not someone who normally says anything is useless. If it doesn't close doors you want to keep open by not taking them, I wouldn't risk your GPA, etc.

High risk, possibly high or low reward.

I'd be surprised if a 5 on calc BC isn't enough to skip ahead past Calc 1 tbh. I'd base your choices to some extent on how much you enjoy math. stats/biostats are wayyyy more useful for medicine than calculus, but calculus can be fun if you like math. I took some higher level math courses in college and they were interesting but I do not remember a single thing about multivariable calculus these days, whereas stats actually comes up frequently. Taking calc 1/2 OR higher level calc will keep doors open for schools that might require it, but at least when I applied years ago that was pretty few, and I think many schools have been moving towards recommending stats over calc anyway (but do check for yourself!)

I'd be surprised if a 5 on calc BC isn't enough to skip ahead past Calc 1 tbh. I'd base your choices to some extent on how much you enjoy math. stats/biostats are wayyyy more useful for medicine than calculus, but calculus can be fun if you like math. I took some higher level math courses in college and they were interesting but I do not remember a single thing about multivariable calculus these days, whereas stats actually comes up frequently. Taking calc 1/2 OR higher level calc will keep doors open for schools that might require it, but at least when I applied years ago that was pretty few, and I think many schools have been moving towards recommending stats over calc anyway (but do check for yourself!)
I agree. I just don't want someone to get in too far and go, in their 3rd yr of college, "ah these [x] schools around me are off-limits now b/c I passed calc 1 w/ AP credits and they don't allow that".

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. I just don't want someone to get in too far and go, in their 3rd yr of college, "ah these [x] schools around me are off-limits now b/c I passed calc 1 w/ AP credits and they don't allow that".
If you skip calc 1 and take a higher level calculus instead (as in OPs option 3) most schools will accept that just fine. I’d be really surprised if any school that doesn’t already require calculus now adds it in the future since the trend seems to be in the other direction but I haven’t followed it that closely. So OP can look and see if they feel comfortable ruling out the schools that require it - if not, they should take some calc.

Taking calculus (in some form) + statistics will keep the most doors open.

Hi! I’m currently in the process of selecting my freshman fall classes (not officially, I’m just neurotic). I initially planned to take Calc 1, but I discovered that my SAT math score does not meet the cutoff. So I would need to take Pre-calculus. My college does offer a test where if I scored more then 75%, I can circumvent the prerequisites for calc 1. But I’m starting to think I do not even need to take calculus. I scored a 5 on the AP Calc BC test so I can just skip calc 1 and 2 altogether. And my target school, Morsani, doesn’t even explicitly state that I need to take Calc 1 and 2. So I basically have 3 options right now:

2) Email department head and ask them to waive the prerequisites for Calc 1 (they should do that right??? I scored a freakin 5 in AP Calc BC)

3. Use my AP credit to just skip Calculus 1 and 2 and instead take Intro to stats, whatever class is after intro to stats (biostats?), and Calc 3 (in that order).

What do you guys recommend? Sorry if I sound on edge, I haven’t slept in 2 days cause I’ve been writing a book report for my AP Literature Class.
I would:
A) Study for the calculus placement test using the materials provided and score as high as you can
B) Place into calc
C) Take calc I & II and stats. Don't put all your eggs in one basket hoping that certain schools will accept you, because medical school admissions is a crapshoot. It's not a sure shot--you have to go wherever you get in. So try to keep as many doors open as possible, like @TelemarketingEnigma and @ArteryStudyPainting said above.

I'm not sure that an email to the department head will do much. I do not think that calc 3 will be necessary or useful if you are not an engineering/math major. Statistics should come after intro to statistics.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I'm not sure that an email to the department head will do much.
I'll disagree on this point (though it may not be the department head you should email - maybe start with the prof of the course you want to take). Many schools consider a 5 on Calc BC to be equivalent of calc I/II and would let you skip ahead (mine did). Doesn't hurt to ask, and calc III + stats should meet basically any school's math requirement.

You might be shocked at how much more challenging a college calculus class is compared to your HS AP class. Skipping ahead could leave you struggling.
There are some med schools which do not accept AP credits to count for prerequisites.
The good news is that there are very few med schools which require calculus, most prefer you to take a solid Statistics course.