I know how to use search... just need clarity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Esther P.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

This is my first post and I hope that I am putting this in the right place. I have already been using the search function but just wanted some input before continuing my search for additional info. My question is whether I need to do a Post Bacc program or simply take science classes at my state school. Here is why I ask:

Academic History: I started off as a computer science major, switched to Cell Bio and Genetics. Passed all my science classes with C's at a 4 year college) (but all my science classes at community college were A's). I was not able to complete my Bio degree, took some time off and returned to school majoring in Counseling and Criminal Justice. I will graduate next May (oh and I am 31 years old). I have mostly A's a few B's (overall 3.6 gpa). No new science classes taken and actually the science classes I took were 10 or more years ago.

Related Experience: I have volunteered as an EMT for over 10 years, worked as a Patient Care Tech at a major hospital, worked in the ER doing admin work at another hospital, volunteered as a Sexual Assault and Victim Advocate, have worked in several drug treatment centers, and presently work in an outpatient mental health clinic. I have also worked as a research assistant and at a few other doctor's offices. I presently work with Psychiatrists.

I think that in terms of my med school app (once I get to that point), I am strong in terms of my commitment to healthcare. But what I am struggling with right now is, since I took my science classes so long ago and did not do well...am I correct in thinking that a Post Bacc program is the way to go? Or would I be able to simply retake them since it's been 10 years? I have never taken the MCAT either. Some may say well if I didn't do well before why continue down this path? My answer is that previously, I just didn't make wise decisions when it came to picking classes and studying. I simply took on too much at the time (working 2 jobs, taking 6 classes, etc) and didn't know have any guidance on how to do better. But I think in the last 10 years I have learned a lot and can do much better this time around.

Members don't see this ad.

I did a do-it-yourselfer at my local university. I took the bare minimum of science classes in undergrad (without labs, so they would not have been acceptable for med school anyway). I retook all of those. I did not have a formal Post-Bacc program in my vicinity. Frankly, I don't think a formal post-bacc program makes a difference, although I think @Law2Doc pointed out that some formal post-bacc programs have good relationships with ad-coms at med schools and there may be some kind of advantage conferred there. That advantage, if any, was not enough for me to consider moving anywhere else. I'm already probably going to have to move a few more times for med school/residency/job, so I wasn't looking to add an additional move that wasn't necessary.

As for whether to take new classes or to retake your undergrad classes--do you remember any of the stuff you took 10 years ago? Also, are you interested in DO and MD, or just MD, or just DO? DO schools have grade replacement, so that may significantly bump your science and overall GPA if you retake those classes you got C's in.

If I were you, I would probably retake everything you got C's in, and if you don't remember anything from the classes 10 years ago, then start from scratch. You don't want to take O Chem or Biochem if you don't remember anything from Chem 1 and 2/Bio 1 and 2. You didn't specify which of your classes you did well in and which you did not--that could potentially make a difference.

Others may have additional/better advice for you.

I did a do-it-yourselfer at my local university. I took the bare minimum of science classes in undergrad (without labs, so they would not have been acceptable for med school anyway). I retook all of those. I did not have a formal Post-Bacc program in my vicinity. Frankly, I don't think a formal post-bacc program makes a difference, although I think @Law2Doc pointed out that some formal post-bacc programs have good relationships with ad-coms at med schools and there may be some kind of advantage conferred there. That advantage, if any, was not enough for me to consider moving anywhere else. I'm already probably going to have to move a few more times for med school/residency/job, so I wasn't looking to add an additional move that wasn't necessary.

As for whether to take new classes or to retake your undergrad classes--do you remember any of the stuff you took 10 years ago? Also, are you interested in DO and MD, or just MD, or just DO? DO schools have grade replacement, so that may significantly bump your science and overall GPA if you retake those classes you got C's in.

If I were you, I would probably retake everything you got C's in, and if you don't remember anything from the classes 10 years ago, then start from scratch. You don't want to take O Chem or Biochem if you don't remember anything from Chem 1 and 2/Bio 1 and 2. You didn't specify which of your classes you did well in and which you did not--that could potentially make a difference.

Others may have additional/better advice for you.

Thank you so much for your input! At the moment I am only interested in MD but that may change as I do more research.

I have taken all the required science classes: Chem, Orgo, Biochem, Physics, Molecular Bio, Cell Bio, and some others I can't remember. I got B's in Bio 1 and Chem 1. After that, all Cs. A's in Calculus and other math classes. I have to sit down and see how much I remember but off the top of my head I could definitely use refreshers in Orgo and Physics. I really struggled with Physics (even when I was a comp sci major).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have taken all the required science classes: Chem, Orgo, Biochem, Physics, Molecular Bio, Cell Bio, and some others I can't remember. I got B's in Bio 1 and Chem 1. After that, all Cs. A's in Calculus and other math classes. I have to sit down and see how much I remember but off the top of my head I could definitely use refreshers in Orgo and Physics. I really struggled with Physics (even when I was a comp sci major).

I would calculate your AMCAS science GPA and get an idea of where you are with that. Your BCPM GPA is a big factor in your med school app. The farther below 3.5 you are for both undergrad and BCPM GPA's, the tougher an MD program will be to get into. https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

I will leave it to those with more experience than I to advise you on whether or not you should retake those core science classes since I have not applied to med school yet myself. How many science credits do you have altogether? How many classes did you have C's in after your core classes?

If your undergrad science GPA is poor and you took a lot of science classes, retakes may be inevitable (and it may be smart to leave the option open for DO with the grade replacement I mentioned). Whatever you do, get A's from here on out.

And dude, don't get me started on Physics. I absolutely hated it, could not conceptualize it (despite being otherwise good in math and sciences), and it was like Chinese water torture. My mind immediately dumped all of it as soon as the classes were done, which kind of sucks since now I have to relearn it all for the MCAT. :confused:

Reactions: 1 user
OP, check for academic fresh start in your state. If you are only considering MD program, then you would have to figure your science GPA so far. The calculation should give you a clear understanding if you need to take some upper level courses such as Immunology, Neurobiology , Advanced biochemistry, Virology and parasitology. Your goal should be acing those courses with A's only.It should balance your C's in any previous science course work and it would look better since they are rigorous courses. Hope this helps.
Best of luck

IF, as your post implies, that your sGPA went from all A's to all C's, implying that your sGPA is what, close to a 3.0?

If so, that will be lethal for MD schools, and barely acceptable to most DO schools.

Suggest retaking all F/D/C science coursework and use AACOMAS' grade replacement policy for DO schools. If you're really boning for the MD, then a SMP is the way to go.