I know this has been discussed before.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zbruinz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
But, what are the average hours for a EM doctor? Is it around 40 hours? I tried searching for it and I couldn't find it. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

no one wants to help me out? or is it like 50 hours? please?

you guys have made me say please.:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
~140 hours a month for full time.
Q

You're not kidding with me right? that would be 35 hours a week. If so, why isn't EM considered as much of a lifestyle specialty as derm is?

You're not kidding with me right? that would be 35 hours a week. If so, why isn't EM considered as much of a lifestyle specialty as derm is?

Nights, weekends, holidays?

But, what are the average hours for a EM doctor? Is it around 40 hours? I tried searching for it and I couldn't find it. Thanks

yeah, the overall hours can be good. but because of that, you have the opportunity to work more and earn more moolah. I know a lot of younger docs that double up on shifts or work at 2 or 3 different ED's so they really rake in the bucks. One dude I knew would do a 1pm to 1am, then go home, then come back for a 7am to 7pm. Yeah, mental! but whatever makes you happy! he pulled in over $250K/yr

yeah, the overall hours can be good. but because of that, you have the opportunity to work more and earn more moolah. I know a lot of younger docs that double up on shifts or work at 2 or 3 different ED's so they really rake in the bucks. One dude I knew would do a 1pm to 1am, then go home, then come back for a 7am to 7pm. Yeah, mental! but whatever makes you happy! he pulled in over $250K/yr

You can make 250k without having to do a schedule like that. Whoever was working shifts like that is an idiot, both for themselves and for their patients.

mike

You can make 250k without having to do a schedule like that. Whoever was working shifts like that is an idiot, both for themselves and for their patients.

mike

Not to mention your killing yourself like that...and not really making that much more $$ than you could/would working 'sane' hours.

Not to mention your killing yourself like that...and not really making that much more $$ than you could/would working 'sane' hours.

anywhere from 1600 to 1800 hours per yr is "normal"

mike

yeah, don't starting out EM doctors make like 200k on average?

yeah, don't starting out EM doctors make like 200k on average?

Yeah, but if you work twice the shifts, a bonus of more than 25% better be coming your way.

Unless you're dumb, or not BC/BE.