I love to help people, but I don't like lab research (and am not good at it) -- can I still be a good doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, currently working in a biology/neuroscience lab this summer and not enjoying it a ton. Not really enough conversation/human interaction for me. I like science, but I'd rather be applying it to help people. It feels a little robotic and boring, I guess.

I guess what I'm wondering is -- is this common? Could I still be a good physician even if I'm mediocre at lab research/don't enjoy it? Does not enjoying wet lab research mean I won't enjoy being a doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My former boss is one of the best docs I’ve ever met. Her CV is not bursting at the seam with significant research contributions. You’ll be fine.

However, don’t confuse staying on top of literature and doing actual research. Staying current and reading research related to your field is an important part in being a great doctor to ensure you’re offering your patients everything you can.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess what I'm wondering is -- is this common? Could I still be a good physician even if I'm mediocre at lab research/don't enjoy it? Does not enjoying wet lab research mean I won't enjoy being a doctor?
Yeah, it just further justifies why you should do an MD and not PhD, which is a good thing. There is a lot more to research than wet lab stuff (public health, sociology, computer science, etc etc)

Reactions: 4 users
The great majority of physicians are not researchers.

Reactions: 4 users
Unless you want to go into a competitive specialty, research isn't necessary. Even if you do shoot for one of those competitive fields, there are ample research opportunities that aren't lab-based (i.e. clinical research). I wouldn't worry about it.

Hey everyone, currently working in a biology/neuroscience lab this summer and not enjoying it a ton. Not really enough conversation/human interaction for me. I like science, but I'd rather be applying it to help people. It feels a little robotic and boring, I guess.

I agree with the general sentiment in this thread about how no, you don't have to love research to be a good physician. However, going off what you said about how you would rather be helping people, I would recommend trying clinical research. If you go into the right lab you'll have ample patient interactions and you may love it!

Yes. Yes. No.

I’ve known hundreds and hundreds of physicians over the past 5 decades and since i‘ve been in practice, almost no one has any personal interest in research. those important folks just stay in academia or industry.

Reactions: 1 users
The wise DrMidlife on research: “you've preferably had some exposure to research so you can be convinced that Andrew Wakefield used malicious dirtbag methods and is not the savior of the world's children.”

The wise @Crayola227 on research: So tired about the whining over the foundation of knowledge that is expected in a physician. We're applied scientists ffs. Own that. If you can't own it and take pride in it, gtfo.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, exactly. You don't have to love wet bench research and you don't have to have aspirations of being a researcher extraordinaire. But you do have to do enough to understand the process, learn, to have the bona fides and requisite knowledge and resume padding you need to get in.

Get used to it, too. TONS of things, skills, time you will spend in training, that you hate and some you will likely not use a ton in your day to day. It's part of the process, and the knowledge base and skills gained in the process though ARE what makes you a physician and is useful to what you ultimately do.

It's the journey. Sounds cheesy but it's very true. Being a physician is one of the most challenging careers because, it's one of the most challenging careers. You need a huge amount of knowledge and skills, hard and soft. It takes a very developed AND well-rounded person. It takes a lot of time and a LOT of experiences to craft the skills. You wouldn't expect to be a master martial artist without a lot of study and hitting the mat hours and hours every day, right? And you can't imagine that the martial artist equally loves every single move they must practice and master. Well, metaphor holds for being an applied scientist in the broad topic of human health and well-being.